Long range 7mm rem mag

Adam454

Beginner
Apr 14, 2008
I am looking for a load for the 7mm Remington Magnum that i could use for 1000 yard shots. I have had good luck with 160 grain Nosler Accubonds and 67 grains of relaoder 22 up to 300 yards, but will that still be good at 1000?

Anyway, here are the specs on the rifle: Savage 17471 with a 24inch light hunting barrel. The scope is a Center Point 4-16x40mm ( http://www.centerpointoptics.com/advent ... s/4-16x40/ ).

As a further note to this request: These loads do NOT need to be lethal at that range (my ultimate goal is to be able to hit a bowling pin at 1000 yards). Also any powder or bullet recommendations are welcome (I am not a stickler as far as brands go).

And on top of all of that, if 7mm rem mag is not a good bullet for 1000 yard shots let me know. Also any tips on achieving my goal of the 1000 yard shot are more then welcome.

Thanks for reading.

the load that we are using right now is 70.3 grains (MAXIMUN LOAD) of IMR 7828 with CCI large rifle magnum primers and 140 grain ballistic tips. They are shooting under a half inch at 100 yards. We also have that same scope on our 7mm rem mag and on my 300 win mag. very good scope :grin:The grouping at 8oo yards was about a 2 inch spread. If you do choose this load to use I can give you all the ballistics on it and you can try them out but you know every rifle is different.

Adam:

Your best bet would be a super high BC bullet like berger or maybe the SMK and go solely for accuracy and not top velocity.

I've done a bit of long range shooting, primarily with the little ol' .308 Winchester, which doesn't hold a candle compared to the 7mm Rem mag for long range potential.

You'll find a wide range of cartridges do well at 1000 yard target shooting, from little 6mm's and even .22 caliber centerfires all the way up to the big .338 and even .50 cal cartridges. It's a matter of being able to send a good, high BC bullet downrange accurately, time and time again.

The 7mm Rem mag has certainly done this. It's not the most popular long range target cartridge avail, but it is a very good one and I've used it at long range too.

Why not just start with the load you've got for now? Push it to 600 yards and see how it groups? Typically the 1000 yard shooters prefer the long, heavy, high BC bullets. In 7mm those would include the 175 grain Sierra Matchking, and the Bergers in both 168 and 180 grain weights. I've also seen great results downrange with several of the 160 and 175 grain hunting bullets available.

As Pop advised, load for accuracy. Flat shooting/high velocity loads are nice, but not all that necessary for the target shooting game. Wind is the big problem for long-range match shooters. A high BC bullet will drift far less in the wind than a more conventional bullet.

Regards, and best of luck, the long-range game is a LOT of fun!

Guy

POP":fj826dip said:
Adam:

Your best bet would be a super high BC bullet like berger or maybe the SMK and go solely for accuracy and not top velocity.
+1
Your trigger pull will play a huge role in accuracy at 1000yds

I agree but his accutrigger breaks at 2 lbs :wink:

I agree with Pop, heavy SMK or Burger VLD bullets will get you to 1K for target shooting. For long range hunting, stay with the 160 gr AB.

JD338

I used 168g VLD with 64g RL-22 for 2950fps. It shoots 1/3-3/4 MOA at 800 yards.

Its about the best bullet for 7 RM. It still has a tad over 1K ft lbs at 1000 yards and traveling well over 1600fps.

The 180g VLD was also accurate for me with 61g RL-22 for 2825fps.

The 175g SMK would also be a good choice.

The Cauterucios (sp) have about the highest BC's for target bullets in 7mm. There 180g is .7+

Good luck!!

Adam454,

The rifle is far more important than the cartridge for the kind of shooting your trying. Thus the 7mm RM or a similar round will do fine. As mentioned some of the target bullets have more potential BC and accuracy wise since your not shooting at game.

Wildcat bullets of Alberta Canada also have some very high BC bullets. but most of them are heavy for caliber stuff. The 200 grn 7mm Wildcat supposedly has a BC near or a bit over 0.9. you'd have to check what rate of twist is needed with those, they are quite heavy for caliber.

CC.

yea baby! Noe THATS what I'm talking about! :lol:

Makes the 338 Lapua look like a varmint round! :lol:

JD338

Does Nosler make any Accubonds in 80 caliber?? bout 1500-1600 grns???
:grin: :grin: :grin:
Would take a courageous person to fire such a weapon, muzzlebrake or not. That's alot of mass going downrange.

CC.

Back