long range hunting rifle?

Canuck

Beginner
Nov 26, 2006
Ok, I've been waiting for my Sako hunter laminated in 300 win. magnum since Octobre 2010 and it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. So I've decided to cancel the order. Now I'm looking into a long range hunting rifle in the same calibre. What do you guys think of these choices, Remington Sendero SF II, Reminton model 700 XCR tactical long range, Kimber Sonora, Browning A-Bolt stainless M-1000 Eclipse. Keeping in mind that I would be hunting with this rifle from a stand and not hiking around with it, any other advice would be greatly appreciated...

Every Sendero I've shot has been wonderfully accurate. Whilst Remington has some problems with some products in recent years, this does not appear to be a problem rifle. It performs as one would expect a Remington to perform.

Canuck":hxe56c7k said:
Ok, I've been waiting for my Sako hunter laminated in 300 win. magnum since Octobre 2010 and it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. So I've decided to cancel the order. Now I'm looking into a long range hunting rifle in the same calibre. What do you guys think of these choices, Remington Sendero SF II, Reminton model 700 XCR tactical long range, Kimber Sonora, Browning A-Bolt stainless M-1000 Eclipse. Keeping in mind that I would be hunting with this rifle from a stand and not hiking around with it, any other advice would be greatly appreciated...

I agree with Mike, the Sendero's seem like they are still being made pretty well. I know you wanted to stick with a 300WM, but the Winchester Coyote Lite's are pretty nice as well. Scotty

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=535115

Scotty, I just checked out the Winchester Coyote light, it looks like a shooter! I wouldn't mind a 300 WSM if I would chose it. Thanks man.

No problem. They look like pretty nice rifles as well. I would imagine they are put together pretty darned well too. Scotty

The 300 WSM produces ballistics that are essentially identical to the 300 WM. I do believe you'd be very pleased with the cartridge. And it is a Winchester.

DrMike":2i0qlvzw said:
Every Sendero I've shot has been wonderfully accurate. Whilst Remington has some problems with some products in recent years, this does not appear to be a problem rifle. It performs as one would expect a Remington to perform.

Absolutely!

A rum or a win in 7mm 300 or 338.

Ok I will be the bad guy, look at the savage long range hunting rifle. There not the prettiest or the smoothest but will shoot with anything the other guys are putting out some cases better.

My pick would be the 300RUM :grin: It sounds like it will be a fun rifle whatever you get. Good luck.
09153.jpg

...not a big Remington fan...

...the Browning A-Bolt Long Range Hunter, the Tikka T3 Varmint in .300WSM, or Kimber Sonora are some other options to look @. I'm getting 3200fps w/ 165gr/ 3050fps w/ the 180gr. out of my .300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite (23" barrel) so it's no slouch. I've tried a doz different bullets, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Barnes, Bergers in 165-180grs., & it shoots most of 'em into 0.75" or less, which is really pretty good considering who's shooting it. Might be just plain scary what the T3 Varmint w/ the heavy barrel in .300 WSM could do. My Brownings both do as good, but my 7mm is a little more persincity about bullet weights/ choices...

I like your choice of the .300 Win mag, but there's a lot of good long-range cartridges. I'd guess you're looking for a cartridge that will handle deer, elk & bear, and possibly other game. As an alternate, don't be afraid of the .300 WSM which can be a startlingly accurate cartridge, or the .300 Rem Ultra Mag which can also be very accurate and comes with a very large powder capacity.

I don't know if the current production rifles are as good, but I had a 7mm Rem mag Sendero years ago that was very, very accurate! All I did to it was add a Timney trigger and a good scope mount. It was amazingly accurate with bullets from 140 - 175 grains, and easy to shoot.

These days my long-range rigs are a Rem 700 in .308 Win - not the power level you're seeking, and a Win 70 Coyote in .300 WSM. Both are accurate, with the edge going to the Rem, but that could easily be due to the Krieger barrel...

Also - consider having your rifle built rather than just buying an off-the-shelf rifle. For not a ton of money, a guy can have a semi-custom put together with a high quality custom barrel. It can be a whole new world of shooting with a great barrel... Just a thought.

Regards, Guy

DrMike":1fq4subf said:
The 300 WSM produces ballistics that are essentially identical to the 300 WM. I do believe you'd be very pleased with the cartridge. And it is a Winchester.

This is true. If I ever get another 300 Magnum it will be a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM (or a 300 H+H Mag for nostalgic purposes).

My Dad's WSM shoots tight groups with less recoil and equal energy and velocity as did my 300 Winchester Long Magnum. And as the Dr. says, it is a Winchester.

Guy Miner":257xfd9u said:
I like your choice of the .300 Win mag, but there's a lot of good long-range cartridges. I'd guess you're looking for a cartridge that will handle deer, elk & bear, and possibly other game. As an alternate, don't be afraid of the .300 WSM which can be a startlingly accurate cartridge, or the .300 Rem Ultra Mag which can also be very accurate and comes with a very large powder capacity.

I don't know if the current production rifles are as good, but I had a 7mm Rem mag Sendero years ago that was very, very accurate! All I did to it was add a Timney trigger and a good scope mount. It was amazingly accurate with bullets from 140 - 175 grains, and easy to shoot.

These days my long-range rigs are a Rem 700 in .308 Win - not the power level you're seeking, and a Win 70 Coyote in .300 WSM. Both are accurate, with the edge going to the Rem, but that could easily be due to the Krieger barrel...

Also - consider having your rifle built rather than just buying an off-the-shelf rifle. For not a ton of money, a guy can have a semi-custom put together with a high quality custom barrel. It can be a whole new world of shooting with a great barrel... Just a thought.

Regards, Guy

+1 with about everything guy said about the custom barrel, and the 7 Mag, and the 300 WM/WSM!

My question would be will this rifle be used for elk or larger game? When I think of stand hunting at long range I'm thinking deer.

If not you can find or build a rifle in 264 win mag that will be hard to beat for a long range rifle. I had a 300 wm that I shot everything with for years, but as I started getting more rifles I went to a lighter one for hunting the larger game I needed the 300 for. When it was time for a new barrel on the 300 I went with a #3 fluted mcgowan barrel, thumbhole stock, etc and built a 264. It's long range ballistics and light recoil suit me fine, while still having plenty of energy for long range deer. It's my long range or windy day hunting rifle. If you want a factory gun they chamber the sendero II in it.

Nothing at all wrong with the 300, I plan to build another one around the 200gr AccuBond for elk & larger game, but I developed a flinch shooting the barrel out of mine. Long range calls for lots of practice and recoil is something to consider.

Coming in late on this one but it has been my experience that Beretta (Sako's parent company) is not particularly customer service oriented when it comes to ordering what they do not currently have in stock. Presently, I own only one Beretta shotgun and one Sako rifle but I have owned several of each in the past and have had difficulty getting items and accessories which Beretta does not have directly in stock. I suspect that they run some items once a year. Sorry that you had difficulty getting your rifle.

I tend to double up on calibers of rifles in the same range, therefore having one for normal hunting and one for longer range hunting. For example, I use a .270 Win for deer hunting, plus a 7mm Mag for long range deer hunting. I also have a .338 Federal and a .340 Weatherby and for many years had a .30-06 and a .300 H&H for the same purpose. These three combinations pretty much cover the field of any shooting situation which I am anticipating, depending on the game being hunted, anticipated range of shooting and the terrain of the hunt.

These three caliber pairs cover my hunting and game shooting needs all the way from pronghorn through the various deer species and up through elk or moose hunting. I often will take the other similar caliber rifle in these pairs with me as a back up rifle when I go on a hunting trip, especially out of state, where I can not easily return home and change rifles.

Back