Looking for thoughts on bullet selection for 45/70

That should give you quite a bit of comfort when toting that rifle. Very nice.

Of those 3, I think I would favor the Federals for bear. I've shot both the Nosler BT (which is what the Winchester uses) and the Speer Plinker (which is what the Federal uses), and based on what I dig out of the dirt behind my targets, the Speer bullet stays together and flattens out (as a bonded bullet would), whereas the Nosler bullet tends to separate and fragment. The Nosler looks to be excellent on deer for that reason, lots of energy transfer, but I'd want the extra penetration on something like bear. Just my .02.

Scottie, I’m just stunned that three different brands are striking the same place out of the box... it is my first lever, and I can see why people love them. I’m finding the 45/70 Govt, pleasant to shoot. Recoil is fine.. not a biggie to take 20 shots.

Dr Mike, agreeing.. not much I could ask for...maybe an idiot light about the safety... better not forget that on the tree stand!

Bear, thank you for your thoughts. Your knowledge of 45/70 is ... lack of an appropriate superlative... suffice to say... you know your 45/70’s. I really enjoyed your video reviewing that 45/70 when April was asking 45/70 questions. You confirmed I should be thinking about CTBT for white tail. My local bullet pro loves the Federal in 45/70. He had atleast 8 brands to choose from and atleast 5 brands in the 300gn class. It was the first he gave me. The Marlin shot the Federals best.

Bear, is that Federal bonded? I’ll look closer when I get home and will call federal if it’s ambiguous. I was leaning to the Barnes as I’ve used the 451 caliber Barnes in my muzzleloader and it performed brilliantly. Blood trail was 18-24” wide the whole way.. like a scarlet red carpet on snow.

I’ll probably change my mind on bullets a couple times between now and pulling it.

I probably also have to thank my outfitter for pushing me a bit.. this hunt got me off the dime to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm virtually certain that the Federal uses the Speer #2482 bullet. It's a Unicore bullet, which is bonded. I've loaded some of those bullets, and I've yet to see one separate from the jacket...at all. I may have one that I dug out of the mud on my bench at home. If so, I'll post a pic.

I think we have pictures of the Speer 300 in our Bullet test section. It’s a GREAT Bullet in the 45-70..

Back