Looking to get a 26 Nosler, which model?

clark33

Beginner
Dec 20, 2016
I've narrowed down my search for a 26 Nosler to a few choices. I would like your guy's input on these rifles if you have one or have seen one shoot. Mainly looking for accuracy using the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo.

Models:
1) Nosler M48 Liberty - I like the price for what you appear to get.

2) Cooper Excalibur - a tad more expensive but they guarantee 1/2 moa

3) Fierce Fury - Don't know much about these but they also say 1/2 moa and look to be good quality

4) Christensen Arms Ridgeline - Never seen or shot a carbon wrapped barrel but have heard good things about CA. Also heard that the carbon wrapped barrel does not dissipate heat as well and can lead to shorter barrel life? Not sure if there is any validity to that.

All input is welcome, thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you much on which one would be best for you but probably every gun you have listed is a good one. If you could handle all four I bet one or two would stand out for you.

Those are all pretty much premium rifles...I'd think any one of them would be a good bet for a hunting rifle.

I've got a Nosler M48 that I've been well pleased with for years.

Sorry that I cannot speak to any of these rifles from personal experience, but have heard and read good reviews of all 4.

I know that I am considering either the Nosler or the Cooper when it comes time to replace my 6.5x284 with a left handed rifle. I will be handling both before making my final decision.

In a side by side comparison of carbon fibre-wrapped barrels, in a rifle magazine earlier this year, Proof Research came out ahead in fit, finish and accuracy ( and maybe price?) over the Christensen Arms rifle.

I do not believe there is truth in the claim of carbon fibre wrapped barrels not dissipating heat well and shortening barrel life. The carbon fibre barrels add stiffness to the barrel while reducing weight. If I recall correctly, the carbon does not heat up as quickly, and actually disapates the heat quicker than heavy steel barrels. I would tend to think this rumour would be more from those who shoot lots of rounds quickly through their rifles, and not let them cool properly between groups of 3-5, and that this would heat up the barrel and erode the throat, shortening barrel life. This would be exacerbated by faster cartridges such as the RUM's, Lazzeroni's, Weatherby's and new Nosler's.

Back