Sigh... Rifle Wantitis

Cleveland48":bicbmvzw said:
I know the feeling Guy! Ever since the thread got started on the 2018 vanguards having 26” barrels, and 6.5-300 clambering I’ve been drooling. Even though I have absolutely no purpose for that type of screamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find myself wanting a 20"-22" 375 H&H Brush Gun(good open sights, removable scope, SS, etc)...which I probably will never need.

5shot":1rt25wkn said:
I find myself wanting a 20"-22" 375 H&H Brush Gun(good open sights, removable scope, SS, etc)...which I probably will never need.

You just described this rifle. Lightened m70 Classic 20” barrel brockmsn pop up peep bases, tritium bead. MPI ultra light mountain rifle stock. 6lbs with scope detached. I still regret selling this rifle! It was one of the several I sold to pay med bills when my daughter was born.

4f937b732fb23aaf15a419d68721385f.jpg

5shot":2cs5xwi5 said:
Cleveland48":2cs5xwi5 said:
I know the feeling Guy! Ever since the thread got started on the 2018 vanguards having 26” barrels, and 6.5-300 clambering I’ve been drooling. Even though I have absolutely no purpose for that type of screamer.

While not quite as potent as the 375 it’s pretty close. My finished Mauser in 9.3x62. Shoots 286 grain hornady sp-rp At 2410 fps with varget. 22” barrel with ghost ring rear aperture. This is my brush gun for this year, and just installed the Timney sportsman trigger the other day. Will be trying it out tm morning.
48eadabd27c10c7a691406c18380409d.jpg

Thebear_78":210jlg3g said:
5shot":210jlg3g said:

You just described this rifle. Lightened m70 Classic 20” barrel brockmsn pop up peep bases, tritium bead. MPI ultra light mountain rifle stock. 6lbs with scope detached. I still regret selling this rifle! It was one of the several I sold to pay med bills when my daughter was born.

Looks like a great setup. I bet 6lbs is rough with the 375 lol. I wish I would have went with a quarter rib with quick detach bases on my mauser, but funds wasn’t there when I started it. I always wanted this rifle to look similar to the rigby rifles of the early 20th century. It didn’t end up like that, but I’m still very pleased with the outcome.

I would be too. A Mauser in 9.3x62 is a really classic combo. I really like those XS front sights! I had a cocking piece mounted peep that I was always going to put on a Mauser for a brush gun but never got around to. Ended up giving it to a buddy for his 358 Winchester vz 24

0T8w83Gl.jpg

I've got a terrific Model 70 with a Douglas barrel chambered in .375 H&H, but it's a 24" barrel. I suppose the front sight could be relocated if I were to lop off a couple of inches of barrel.

Then the whole thing could be Cerakoted to improve the rust resistance.

Danged thing shoots great! I've got a 1.5-5x Leupold in Tally QR mounts and it has a very nice set of express sights.

Frankly, I love this rifle, though so far it's only been a range toy. ALMOST took it to Alaska for the grizzly hunt.

Guy

And there's a rather stubby 375 H&H, despite the 24" barrel, but you've got to put up with it being a single shot.

J1toCsjl.jpg

It's real basic, with a 3x Leupold and factory sights. Shoots great. I've used it to shoot several black bear, from 10 or 15 feet out to over 300 yards. Ruger built this one right!

Guy

Both of my brothers have had a 375 H&H apiece. I went with the 9.3x62 to be different from them, and I’ve always heard such great thinks about it. One brothers 375 was a TC encore and it recoil was quite brisk! The other is a beautiful Winchester Model 70 made in either 1955 or 1956. My dad and his twin brother bought it in 1960 after trading in two model 94 30-30’s and lots of ammo lol. I don’t know how many Deer they killed over the years with it. It has bluing worn off around floor plate and action from where they always toted it like that. My uncle was the owner when he was going down hill health wise, and my oldest brother received that one, we all got one gun a piece from him. It has the 3 blade rear sights, and is honestly one of the smoothest rifles I’ve ever held. When he passed away my two brothers and I went to the lake and fired off several rounds a piece of old Winchester silver tips. Guy it’s hard to go wrong with a model 70 in 375! I also really like the Ruger #1 you post on here a lot. Two great rifles in a fantastic old cartridge.

Thanks Cleveland - I really just shake my head and grin a lot when I try to figure out how a mule deer hunter ended up with not one, but a pair of 375's...

Makes no sense, but I do like them.

Guy

Thebear_78":1mahh2l1 said:
5shot":1mahh2l1 said:

That's it!

Back