Love my 375

That looks great Don. What kind of speed are you get?

JD338

R-15 is one of the fastest powders out there for the 375 H&H. I used it years ago with 260 Ballistic Tips and Accubonds. We even used it for the 220 flat point when we shot rockchucks with the 375's. BTW the 375 bullets are way too tough for good rockchucks medicine if you like to see parts blown everywhere . 4350 was the ticket for the improved versions at that time. I shot 250 Sierras at 3080fps in my 375-358STA with H4350 25+ years ago. A half a dozen elk succumbed to that dude back in the day. It flat hammered elk

I need to chronograph a number of loads next time out. I also shot my new 300 HH. It has a liking for the 180 partitions but surprisingly did not shoot the AccuBond well. I used sic Partitions getting on paper. The fourth shot in that group went wide as did the AccuBond load.
Could be I didn't account for the #1 tendancy to start stringing when they get warm. The guy who sold me the rifle said I would get frustrated trying to group more than three shots.

Attachments

• 972CF9AD-75E2-4ED5-B5A6-B014EDF997CC.jpeg
    972CF9AD-75E2-4ED5-B5A6-B014EDF997CC.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 97FFB26F-1A3F-48A9-BD03-C066180B34EE.jpeg
    97FFB26F-1A3F-48A9-BD03-C066180B34EE.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 5
I need to chronograph a number of loads next time out. I also shot my new 300 HH. It has a liking for the 180 partitions but surprisingly did not shoot the AccuBond well. I used sic Partitions getting on paper. The fourth shot in that group went wide as did the AccuBond load.
Could be I didn't account for the #1 tendancy to start stringing when they get warm. The guy who sold me the rifle said I would get frustrated trying to group more than three shots.
I’ve found the 180gr Accubonds shot well at Nosler recommended COAL.

That could be a barrel pressure issue. I'd check to see if the barrel is free floated.

I like the .375 Ouch and Ouch in the Ruger #1. I didn't have one at the time but my neighbor had his dad over for a visit and the talk got around to guns. The dad said that he was frustrated that he couldn't find a left handed bolt action in ,375 H&H. I told him about the Ruger Number One and said, "But it's a single shot." Told him they're not all that slow and he said why don't I show him. Thought he had me. I told him I did not have one in .375 H&H but would a demo with a .300 Win. Mag. do? He said OK so we pile into my truck and went to a place where we do a little shooting. We were setting up a few adult beverage cans and when pacing off some distance spotted a jackrabbit about 30 or so yards out. I shot and just barely missed him to one side and took off running. I reloaded and bit and pieces of Mr. Rabbit literally went into orbit. The 200 gr. Speer Hot Core is quite detructive on jackrabbits. I think I used too much gun. Well, hid dad went back home about a year later the neighbor brings me a letter to me from his dad. Seems he bought a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and took a little trip to Africa. He did what I've always wanted to do but could never afford; hunt Cape Buffalo with my Ruger #1. I learned that about a year after his hunt he passed from cancer. RIP Earl, you lived your dream.
Paul B.

My limited experience with the .375’s is that they are inherently accurate. I’m shooting different bullets than you tried but it was fun to work up a good Load with an expanding bullet and then a solid “just in case”
Very cool about your friends dad, glad he made that trip while he still could!

I don't want to take this too far off thread but as this is a Ruger forum...and we're talking .375s. I have a Ruger M77 tanger in a Ramline stock chambered to the .375 Chatfield-Taylor AKA .375-Chatfield AKA .375/338 Win. mag. It's simply the .338 Win. mag. opened up to take .355 caliber bullets and with a proper charge of IMR or H 4350 duplicates the .375 H&H Mag. almost exactly. For all practical purposes there is no difference regarding velocity. My Ruger .375 H&H and the Taylor are within 30 to 50 FPS of each other with the Taylor being the faster of the two when the H&H id using factory loads vs the wildcat using my handloads. I normally do not give my firearms a name bit this one has the name "HAMMER" as it hits like a sledge hammer on both ends. I made the gun for an elk hunt in steep black timber country that didn't pan out. Weight was a consideration and at 7.5 pounds with scope, sling and a full magazine with a chambered rounds, she's lightweight. Accuracy is superb with groups running at an inch or slightly less when I do my part. I've been giving some thought to increasing the weight to make recoil a bit more tolerable but haven't quite figured out lead to add, yet keep it from being too heavy and breaking my back on a hunt.

Brass is easy enough to make. I've made it from 7MM Rem. Mag, a royal PITA, .338 win. mag., fairly easy but the easiest of all is use .458 Win. mag. brass. One pass through the .375/338 Mag. die, and a very slight trim to just square off the necks, load up the ammo and go shoot.
Paul B.

Back