M70 264 Win Mag

Thanks. I am looking forward to loading for it. Should be a great rifle. Scotty

Dr. Mike
Bill, did I miss something? Is Scotty planning a clearance sale? I'll vie with you for this one.

I am sure that he could stock a small Cabelas with his supply now, so maybe we can hope. !!

Retumbo has worked well for me too with various 130 gr bullets Ramshot Magnum is another good one to try too. Congrats on a great gun :grin:

FWIW I find the whole 24" barrel being bad and the 26" being far superior somewhat exagerated my 24" gun gets 3200 fps safely which was more than enough speed. If you can get a great load at "only" 3200 fps then great it will still shoot super flat.

gerry":3qeb3531 said:
FWIW I find the whole 24" barrel being bad and the 26" being far superior somewhat exagerated my 24" gun gets 3200 fps safely which was more than enough speed. If you can get a great load at "only" 3200 fps then great it will still shoot super flat.

Yeah, probably, but it's just one of those things that is 'correct' or 'proper' in my head. .264s have 26" barrels, .416 Rigbys have nice wood, and Colt Pythons should be blued. Doesn't have to make sense.

gerry":3x6r32j6 said:
Retumbo has worked well for me too with various 130 gr bullets Ramshot Magnum is another good one to try too. Congrats on a great gun :grin:

I agree with you Gerry, I would have probably still gotten the rifle with a 24" barrel. the little extra I will get from it will be nice, but I am sure a 24" barrel would have done the same. Scotty

Elkman":tdzhaqpq said:
Dr. Mike
Bill, did I miss something? Is Scotty planning a clearance sale? I'll vie with you for this one.

I am sure that he could stock a small Cabelas with his supply now, so maybe we can hope. !!

Whoa! Not planning any clearance sales yet! Just trying to cover the bases. Kids gotta have rifles too ya know! Scotty

Congrats on a great rifle/caliber there!! There is just something about those 6.5s that are starting to tickle my fancy.

I picked one up a few months ago that was new unfired in mint condition 30 years old, win mdl 70 XTR, only 24" bbl though. I thought about it for a day or two, then said screw it, is 2" of bbl really gonna make a $hits worth of difference?? I dont really think so...

I'm getting 3100fps w/140g amaxs and H1000. Plenty fast for any coyote/antelope/deer still out to 1K :) Still working on accuracy/consistency though. It'll do 1/2 MOA one day and 1.5 MOA the next with the above load.

I just took my 7 mag brass and ran it through my 264 die. I was impatient and cheap and didn't wanna buy any 264 head stamped brass. Since I dont have a 7 mag anymore, I figured there woulnd't be any mixups.

Really interested to see how she shoots for ya, let us know!!!

Will do. I am looking forward to working with it. I imagine H1000/Retumbo will work out well for it. I am glad you said you were shooting 140's. Hopefully mine has the twist to handle them also. I would think the 140gr AB would be pretty slick if it will shoot, and I can find some! Scotty

Scotty do a search for posts written by reflex264. You will be amazed. Great guy too.

Well, I ordered a set of dies, a one piece picatinny rail and some QRW rings for the M70 today. I will probably go down and pick the rifle up in a few days.

Chet was awesome enough to send me two boxes of 264WM Nosler ammo with the 125gr PT's. I figure the 40 pieces of brass is good enough, but heck, might as well see how this Nosler ammo shoots. I already have the scope for the rifle, so I figure I might be able to get a decent zero on the rifle and then start with the load work. Still haven't really decided on a bullet or two yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be something Nosler, or maybe Hornady for initial shooting. Scotty

When is the big Greentop trip Scotty? I have a very itchy trigger finger! Can hardly wait to get some trigger time on the 264 mag :grin: And i have more than enough 243AI for you to burn up.

Scotty,

Looking farward to your range reports. The 125 ge PT would make for a terrific all around bullet for your 264 WM. :wink:

JD338

Awesome!!!!! Can't wait to see what they do Chet. Slowly but surely this rifle is coming together! Scotty

JD338":3scry3k4 said:
Scotty,

Looking farward to your range reports. The 125 ge PT would make for a terrific all around bullet for your 264 WM. :wink:

JD338

I can't say I would be disappointed at all if those 125gr PT's shot really well. I figure between those, the 130gr AB's and the 140 AB - 140gr PT I should find something I like. They all have great BC's and are more than ample for anything I will be hunting with it. Scotty

MY win supergade adored 67 rl25 and the 125pt. 3350 fps all day long as well as groupsno bigger than .55".

Wow, those were smoking! That sounds like some serious HP there! Man, I can't wait to see what this rifle does. I hate getting new rifles, reason being as it seems to take so long to get them set up properly. I think RL25-22 and Retumbo are going to get the nod for initial load work. Scotty

POP":2m0khc2y said:
MY win supergade adored 67 rl25 and the 125pt. 3350 fps all day long as well as groupsno bigger than .55".

Now that is impressive!

JD338

Back