M70 264 Win Mag

Wow, that rifle is beautiful! Man, I can't believe you let that one out of your sight! That is one very nice rifle. Maybe Winchester will start chambering the mighty 264 again, especially in their Super Grades. The more I read and learn about it, the more I like it. Matter of fact, I should have all the stuff to mount the scope this evening and hopefully get some range time shortly. I am dieing to get this thing on paper. Scotty

Thanks Fotis, I will put some pictures up shortly if the kit came in. The scope should look familiar as it is the one you sent me. Should be a great fit for that rifle. Scotty

Well I received the bases for my 264 and 338WMs but he darn rings Midway sent me were 30mm rings in a 1" package. The number was correct just Mis packaged rings! Not a big deal. I will return them and get the correct rings and use that set for the 338. I will go to my local gun pusher tomorrow and pick up another set of Leupold Low QRW rings. I am kinda disappointed as I mounted the rail and it loOked sweet, till set the scope in the ring bases and it was swallowed!

I did also get the Williams 5D sight for my 336 35 Rem and cases. On top of that I got my 264WM die set so I am in good shape to start shooting the mighty 264. With a scope on it' it'll look pretty sweet I think! Anyhow back to just goofing off! Scotty

I just ordered some 6.5mm 120 gr BT and 125 gr PT bullets. :grin:

JD338

Hegland":19uhdfnl said:
beretzs":19uhdfnl said:
I will return them and get the correct rings and use that set for the 338.

No, no, no Scotty. You need to buy a 30mm scope! :grin:

Well, I guess that's not much different than buying a gun because you had some bullets for it. :)

Here are some pictures of the Weaver Base, Leupold QRW Low rings and the Leupold 4.5x14. I think it turned out pretty decent and man, I really hope it shoots, it looks too good not too! Scotty

DSC_2333.jpg

DSC_2335.jpg

DSC_2332.jpg

DSC_2330.jpg

Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Let's see what it can do. You've got ammunition. You have bullets. Give it a whirl.

Hoping I might have a chance soon. I am DIEING to get it out and just put some rounds downrange! I think it looks like a proper hunting rifle now. It was a dream to own an M70 264WM, and now I have one, I can't get the time to shoot it. Might need to take leave just to camp at the range with it! Scotty

Scotty,

She looks great buddy! Can't wait for the range report.

JD338

I'm curious as to when the rifle was built?
the butt pad makes me think it's quite recent.......
what year did they cease chambering 264?

That's a great question. I consider myself an M70 guy but couldn't tell you much other than it is a post 64! Ha! I don't rightly know year of manufacture. It has the same recoil pad as my 270WSM that was built in 2002. Outside of that, your guess is as good as mine. It does seem pretty decent and I can't find anything glaringly wrong with it. Even my ries made before the CT plant was closed shoot well so I have high hopes for this rifle. Scotty

Cosmetically, I put the rifle between 2000 - 2007. But I am unaware of a 264 chambering in that time period. Also, it could be a 1992-1999 action in a newer stock ??????

One more thing.... are you gonna tell us what you paid for it? :lol: j/k
I sure am jelous :oops: you're lucky I aint your neighbor 8)

Thanks BK. It is about the same length as the 338 but it doesn't seem unwieldly.

Chet, your welcome to come touch off some rounds anytime ya want buddy. Scotty

My dad bought his brand new in either 99 or 2000, ordered it straight from our local walmart at that!!

Looks like the same rifle, classic sporter LT w/26" bbl and claw extractor, yah its the same rifle...

Wished I wouldn't have talked my dad out of his, stupid mistake on my end. Was a very nice rifle with very nice dark wood.

Still waiting for a range report!!!

Ahh, the joys of being in a rural ag town. Try finding an M70 in any of Portland's WallyWorlds. Heck, try finding ammo!

remingtonman_25_06":2meekscs said:
My dad bought his brand new in either 99 or 2000, ordered it straight from our local walmart at that!!

Looks like the same rifle, classic sporter LT w/26" bbl and claw extractor, yah its the same rifle...

Wished I wouldn't have talked my dad out of his, stupid mistake on my end. Was a very nice rifle with very nice dark wood.

Still waiting for a range report!!!

RM- This seems like a nice rifle. How did your Dad's rifle shoot? Any idea what twist it has? I have been trying to research it a little and came up short. Scotty

Back