M70 264 Win Mag

Here are some pictures of the M70 264 Winchester Magnum. I apologize for the crappy pictures, but I took them with my cell. I will get better pictures once I get the scope and mounts.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

And here is another forum member fondling an 1895GBL! Talk about a sweet rifle.

photo1.jpg

I also found one lonely box of 6.5mm 130gr AB's. They had some 140gr PT's and will be next up on the loading dock if the AB's don't shoot. Scotty

My dad had one of those exact rifles about 10 years ago and he sold it after only having it a couple. I talked him into a 25-06...If only I knew now, what I didn't back then...We both heavily regret it. Only difference now is I now own a 264 WM and I definately wont be getting talked out of it for any other LR deer rifle. Mine is the XTR with only the 24" bbl, but thats ok. 2" of barrel is 100fps at most, still throw a 140g at 3000-3100fps or 120s at 3300-3350 which is plenty.

We didn't get to extensive with his. Bought some IMR4350 and some 120g NBTs. Max load in the #4 Nosler manual was the load for the rifle.

I havent played with mine as much as I'd like due to being a scope short and then having my injury. The only load I've worked up is the 95g vmax at 3400fps with H1000 at 73g. I started to work on 140g amax with H1000 and at 67g I had a .5" group at 3100fps. Loaded em up next time out and they shot 1"-1.5" so not real sure whats going on there. I'll get to the bottom of it here in a couple months though.

I might try the 120g NBT if these 140g amaxs wont work the way I want to, they just dont have quite the BC I'm looking for. The 129g SST or 140g SST look interesting as well, but they have always been harder to get to shoot as good and consistently as NBTs in my experience. My 9" twist also might be on the edge of stabilizing the long AMAX since the box calls for a 7.5" twist. However, there leaving round holes out to 625 yards, and I am getting about 1-1.5 MOA out of them with minimal load workup. If they weren't stabilizing, then they wouldn't leave round holes at 100 yards or 625 yards for that matter, and be shooting a heckuva lot worse then MOA at 100 yards one would think...

Scotty,

Man, that M70 264 WM is a beauty. I am sure you will have her singing in no time.

Just curious, the the other forum member looking at a Marlin 1895 as a black timer elk rifle? :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":195nbsr6 said:
POP":195nbsr6 said:
MY win supergade adored 67 rl25 and the 125pt. 3350 fps all day long as well as groups... no bigger than .55".

Now that is impressive!

JD338

This is a good goat with the above load and my super grade at 501 lazered yards.

Kids002.jpg

Wish I kept a good picture of the rifle's stock! It was incredible.

Scott you will love the 264.

JD338":1nm90nj9 said:
Scotty,

Man, that M70 264 WM is a beauty. I am sure you will have her singing in no time.

Just curious, the the other forum member looking at a Marlin 1895 as a black timer elk rifle? :mrgreen:

JD338

Yeah, I think he was trying to pressure a 3rd party into getting into the 45-70 club! That is a heckuva nice rifle though. I like those GBL's alot. Very slick rifles. Scotty

POP":3l4dbejs said:
JD338":3l4dbejs said:
POP":3l4dbejs said:
MY win supergade adored 67 rl25 and the 125pt. 3350 fps all day long as well as groups... no bigger than .55".

Now that is impressive!

JD338

This is a good goat with the above load and my super grade at 501 lazered yards.

Kids002.jpg

From that picture, it looks like a really nice example of Super Grades. I wished I could have found a Super Grade 264, but I am good with the Sporter. It is going to get hunted with, and I am not especially easy on my rifles.

I actually cannot wait to try that load Fotis. I am thinking with some 130AB's it should be a truly great shooter. Scotty

remingtonman_25_06":lpsiqv3o said:
My dad had one of those exact rifles about 10 years ago and he sold it after only having it a couple. I talked him into a 25-06...If only I knew now, what I didn't back then...We both heavily regret it. Only difference now is I now own a 264 WM and I definately wont be getting talked out of it for any other LR deer rifle. Mine is the XTR with only the 24" bbl, but thats ok. 2" of barrel is 100fps at most, still throw a 140g at 3000-3100fps or 120s at 3300-3350 which is plenty.

We didn't get to extensive with his. Bought some IMR4350 and some 120g NBTs. Max load in the #4 Nosler manual was the load for the rifle.

I havent played with mine as much as I'd like due to being a scope short and then having my injury. The only load I've worked up is the 95g vmax at 3400fps with H1000 at 73g. I started to work on 140g amax with H1000 and at 67g I had a .5" group at 3100fps. Loaded em up next time out and they shot 1"-1.5" so not real sure whats going on there. I'll get to the bottom of it here in a couple months though.

I might try the 120g NBT if these 140g amaxs wont work the way I want to, they just dont have quite the BC I'm looking for. The 129g SST or 140g SST look interesting as well, but they have always been harder to get to shoot as good and consistently as NBTs in my experience. My 9" twist also might be on the edge of stabilizing the long AMAX since the box calls for a 7.5" twist. However, there leaving round holes out to 625 yards, and I am getting about 1-1.5 MOA out of them with minimal load workup. If they weren't stabilizing, then they wouldn't leave round holes at 100 yards or 625 yards for that matter, and be shooting a heckuva lot worse then MOA at 100 yards one would think...

I am going to look into H1000 also. Once I saw your shooting with it, and a couple of runs over a ballistic calculator, it is a pretty sweet cartridge, and recoil shouldn't be anything to worry about. Be a good elk rifle for my son once he really gets into it.

Your right about the 24" vs 26". I don't think it would amount to enough to worry about. I just got this one, as it is what I found! Scotty

I have a VX 4.5x14 with the B&C reticle sitting in the safe awaiting bases and rings. Pop was kind enough to sell me the scope with his excellent DPP program! It was actually meant for the Winchester 25-06 I wanted to buy, but since Winchester isn't building them yet, I will put this scope on the 264. I still want the 25-06, but the 264 will hold me out for a little while. Scotty

I think that's a great choice Scotty and should be a perfect fit on that rifle! I believe that will be the same scope we put on my son's Winchester Model 70 300 WSM. He sure likes that same scope on his 6mm so I figure it it's not broken then don't fix it!

I think anything in the 3.5x10 to 4.5x14 just about perfect for big game hunting with sporter type rifles. I imagine your son will enjoy the scope on his new rifle. I am pretty jealous of him. I don't think he is going put it down. Might have to get a new barrel ordered, just so you have a spare ready for when he wears out the first one! Scotty

beretzs":1x0t6ios said:
JD338":1x0t6ios said:
Scotty,

JD338

Yeah, I think he was trying to pressure a 3rd party into getting into the 45-70 club! That is a heckuva nice rifle though. I like those GBL's alot. Very slick rifles. Scotty

Mount a VX3 1.76-6x32mm on that GBL and it has black timber elk written all over it. :wink:

JD338

Beautiful rifle Scotty - great find. Rifle magazine had a good write-up on the Super Grade last month. If it shoots like the one they had, you ought to be minute-of-pronghorn right out past the curvature of the earth!

Thanks Hegland! I am looking forward to getting it up and running. Scotty

Here is a very close clone of my 264 Super grade!

zjbyl1vpgusiy5upc2ppx3afe6.jpg

4kuvpghb74kqwb7hcsv9bftwx3.jpg

ddtrqekpxlrw44xfeyezkyxmr9.jpg

dhn6fl0ryia3cmvbfwzgmzkyx2.jpg

htdct58auxttofcjcwrr92dwj1.jpg

hyy9u7bmcgbhewncyl7ipmwlv0.jpg

llou9zmxavxhvaisdfwtjqcez0.jpg

Back