M70 push feed vs. M700

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So just starting to think another project, and thinking I should use a donor vs a new action. I have a Remington 700 ADL 6.5 Creed and a Winchester M70 308 Win push feed. The build would be for a hunting rifle most likely for a young lady. Thinking 7-08, 284, 308 with a break, right now I am more focused on which action to use.
Performance wise is there any advantage between one or the other? I know the M700 is easier to find aftermarket parts(stock options mostly), but I really like the 3 position safety and the bolt locking when the safety is on with the M70. So what are everyone's thoughts? any good stock suppliers for the M70

You've given a succinct synopsis of the two actions. It becomes a question of what you prefer. I have a 284 Win which I built on a Model 70 push-feed action. It provides good accuracy and gives me the advantage of a rifle presenting the lines I admire. I have a Model 700 chambered in 280 Win. It yields good accuracy and is easily modified if I should choose to do so. Either works and either gives me the accuracy I desire. Can't say that one has an advantage over the other.

I prefer the 700 and clones over the 70.
My preferences wouldn't matter for what you are considering.
Go with a Holland Radial Baffle if you want soft shooting.

I would let her try both as is, and see which one fits her best, and which she prefers to handle and shoot.
Will give you some reference as to a starting point...or she may prefer one asis and save some trouble! (not mention cost!)
This sounds like good advice.

I'm a 700 kind of guy but either one would be great for a build. I have a HS Precision Hunter stock on my 338RUM that is light weight but very robust. The aluminum block allows you to bolt the barreled action down and your ready to shoot.

JD338

I have both and love them. That said the M700 has more customizing options available off the shelf. As an example, I used a M700 for my 338-06 build because it gave me the option to add a detachable magazine.

Gee decisions decisions , you have received some good advice and the true answer is what she likes or can use best.
I have Rem's and Win's, some of the Win's are push feed and controlled round feed, I even have what I would call the best of both styles which is a controlled round push feed that the action works as slick as snot and kind of wish that it wasn't dropped from the M70 line of rifles.
I sort of like the M70 push feed style over the M700 since it has the safety and extractor style, I like though I have never had a problem with either.

If it's a full build, you can always replace the Remington's shroud with a 3-position safety:

That way, you get the benefits of both: aftermarket options for the 700, and the safety of the winchester.

I would have to go with the rem 700. There is just too much after market support for the rem. Triggers, stocks, optics mounts, bottom metal, the list is endless. The few downsides to a rem, extractor and safety, are easily corrected. A new bolt or m16 extractor conversion is easy and a 3 position safety is easily installed.

There is a reason the rem 700 and clones are so popular. It’s just an easier option.

I have both and prefer the model 70, but I'm a Winchester guy. I agree with the others, let her decide after handling and shooting both of them.

Comparing my Winchester M70 Featherweights vs my M700 BDL/Classics, I find the Winchesters are slightly heavier. Not enough make a real difference but there is that. As the rifle is intender to be for a young lady, lightweight can be an important factor. When it comes to choices, I'm a big fan of the Winchester push feeds. However, my M70 in .308 Win. will always stay a .308, period. My M70 in .243 is also a push feed that is so old it was based on their long action. Not suitable for conversion, at least for a young lady. My M700s are a BDL and two Classics, all on the long action.
I guess if it were me, I'd go with the Remington, taking into the consideration of all those after market goodies that are available.
Paul B.

I would like to hear what she will hunt with it Deer ? Elk ? Bear ? I my self like both actions but if I was doing a Custom Build I would go Model 70, but if I had the action of a Model 700 I would be fine with it also. There both nice to Me.

"Thinking 7-08, 284, 308 with a break, right now I am more focused on which action to use."

Seeing as no one has addressed this part of the OP's question, I guess I'll throw in my two cents worth. I'n not a big fan of rebate rim cartridge so the .284 is out. This brings us to the either the 7-08 or .308. Either one would work just fine. The 7-08 can easily be downloaded to milder 7x57 levels as can the .308 to .300 Savage levels.

I've been playing with the 7x57 loaded at 7-08 levels and have at least one load I would not hesitate to use on elk. Recoil is still not bad from a Winchester M70 Featherweight. My .308 is also an M70, a Youth Ranger I won in a raffle. I replaced the cheap hardwood stock with a Ramline and have a short action Feartherweight stock to put the barreled action into. Recoil with the Ramline is slighter more than the 7x57. The rifles shoots well but has a clubby feel, thus I may switch to the FW stock, The 140 gr. bullets at maybe 2600 FPS (7x57 level) would be nice deer slayers. I have a thing for the 165 gr. Speer Hot Cores for the .308. Even at 2550 FPS from the 18.5" barrel of a Ruger 77 RSI they're very effective on deer at 250 yards, the longest shot I've taken as game with the RSI.

For those two cartridges, I'd just flip a coin and go from there.
Paul B.

Last edited:
Comparing my Winchester M70 Featherweights vs my M700 BDL/Classics, I find the Winchesters are slightly heavier. Not enough make a real difference but there is that. As the rifle is intender to be for a young lady, lightweight can be an important factor. When it comes to choices, I'm a big fan of the Winchester push feeds. However, my M70 in .308 Win. will always stay a .308, period. My M70 in .243 is also a push feed that is so old it was based on their long action. Not suitable for conversion, at least for a young lady. My M700s are a BDL and two Classics, all on the long action.
I guess if it were me, I'd go with the Remington, taking into the consideration of all those after market goodies that are available.
Paul B.
Using a long action for a short action cartridge has been done for ever by Winchester so I'm asking why wouldn't the M70 in 243 be suitable?
I used a long action Rem 726 for a 257 Roberts build and the only thing I did was replace the barrel with no mods to the action.
A .257 Roberts Imp on the M70 243 action would be a dandy soft recoiling rifle for the young Lady. JMO

My .308 is also an M70, a Youth Ranger
That is the same rifle i have, it also came with a oem Winchester synthetic stock. I haven't done anything but put about 5 rounds thru it with the open sights, I'm tempted to try and rework the youth stock, its a little short for her but that would give some room for a better recoil pad. Now just has a thin red eraser type

That is the same rifle i have, it also came with a oem Winchester synthetic stock. I haven't done anything but put about 5 rounds thru it with the open sights, I'm tempted to try and rework the youth stock, its a little short for her but that would give some room for a better recoil pad. Now just has a thin red eraser type
Mine came with some very hard hardwood stock. I didn't even want to mess with it Stuck it in that Ramline. Very accurate but has a clubby feel. I found a proper wood Featherweight stock in nice spape so the plan it to convert the Youth Ranger into a Featherweight. They use the same barreled action as in the FW, or at least it seems to be that way.
Paul B.

Back