Made in USA front adjustable shooting rest

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Any thoughts on this?

Son asked me for a Made in USA adjustable front rifle rest?

Just front rest. Use bags for rear.

Prefer it to have spike feet and rubber caps to cover them as he shoots on wood benches and cement benches.

Thx

This one won’t break the bank

This one won’t break the bank
Damn...right northeast of me and didn't even know they existed.

Thx!!!

I wish I'd known about those a couple of years ago when I broke down and bought the Chinese made Caldwell. It's okay, just irritated that I was buying Chinese, again. :(

I love the Sinclair rest... But wow, that's a lot of money.

This Protektor looks real good, and reasonably priced.

Guy

I have scoured around looking , but I can't find a trace of it. it looks like the web has been scrubbed .

***** I'm guessing ****
this project got canned due to school shootings

there was , or is , a local to me high school or votech that built these for a project . I want to say it was Altoona Pa votech school , but I could be wrong . a few years back there was a big write up in the local newspaper about these being built . I think it was an order ahead of time and they call when finished . if I remember right , the paper listed how many they've built , events that were won using this rest , and the guys that use them . the shop instructor is a shooter , is how this project came about . I don't know if John Hoover ,owner of " accuracy one shooting products " would know anything .if you're interested in trying to track this down . John's shop is Tyrone Pa , about 15 miles away from Altoona . John is also a big shooter .it seems to me like he would know something .

I have scoured around looking , but I can't find a trace of it. it looks like the web has been scrubbed .

***** I'm guessing ****

there was , or is , a local to me high school or votech that built these for a project . I want to say it was Altoona Pa votech school , but I could be wrong . a few years back there was a big write up in the local newspaper about these being built . I think it was an order ahead of time and they call when finished . if I remember right , the paper listed how many they've built , events that were won using this rest , and the guys that use them . the shop instructor is a shooter , is how this project came about . I don't know if John Hoover ,owner of " accuracy one shooting products " would know anything .if you're interested in trying to track this down . John's shop is Tyrone Pa , about 15 miles away from Altoona . John is also a big shooter .it seems to me like he would know something .
Maybe this is what you’re thinking of.

I wish I'd known about those a couple of years ago when I broke down and bought the Chinese made Caldwell. It's okay, just irritated that I was buying Chinese, again. :(

I love the Sinclair rest... But wow, that's a lot of money.

This Protektor looks real good, and reasonably priced.

Guy
I didn't even know about these rests I guess I should of did a search I also got the Caldwell front rest but would of rather had that nice looking Protecktor.

Those rests looks sweet, I have the Caldwell Rock BR Competition shooting rest, its stable and sits right on the bench. I usually use a bull bag or my Harris and ATLAS bipods nowadays. I haven't been using that Caldwell rest for years, it has been sitting on my shelf in the garage. Planning to sell it on the MarketPlace locally , if anyone is interested, just send me a PM. Not intentionally trying to hijack the thread, just for those who are looking for one under market price.
efRHuOZl.jpg

syMLu67l.jpg

Perhaps my present post is only tangentially related to the thread, but I do make a valiant effort to buy American or Canadian made products. If there is an alternative to CCP slave-labour produced goods, that is what I will buy. I am willing to pay a premium to get goods made in North America.

Perhaps my present post is only tangentially related to the thread, but I do make a valiant effort to buy American or Canadian made products. If there is an alternative to CCP slave-labour produced goods, that is what I will buy. I am willing to pay a premium to get goods made in North America.
This x 10000
I started the thread and I agree 101 percent.
Plus you get what you pay for.
I own a decent sized auto repair facility and our boxes are filled with USA made or German made(Knipex) with US making up 95% and Knipex the other 5.
Our million dollar scan tools are imported because apparently we just can't make electronics in the country 🤷‍♂️
It's very important to me we even switched our cordless electric stuff over to DeWalt. While they don't make every cordless power tool in America they make a fair amount. Milwaukee makes absolutely zero cordless power tools here. Not one.
Back to the subject I prefer USA made for a couple reasons.
What you stated is very important plus you get what you pay for. I don't have the time to replace something that shouldn't have broken in the first place.
Lastly the pride factor. It just feels better buying US made. Quality and contributing to someone's livelihood.
A win win to me

***** I'm guessing ****

I know John...he has a shop out on Eden Hill.

I hadn't even thought to check with him.
Maybe this is what you’re thinking of.
Altoona is in my hip pocket...

I never even heard about these.

I need to get on the radar a bit more.

Thx!!!!!

I have a pair of Caldwell rests that have Protektor bags on them. I use Protektor rear bags as well. They’re a good company.

if you decide to track down this votech rest , please let us know what you find out . I'd appreciate the info . I don't use one yet , but I think I might be interested in having one of these built by school kids .

For years I've used a Hoppe's front rest with Protektor bags and it has been adaquate. That said, I'm not a bench rest competition shooter. The Aluminum Protektor front rest looks interesting with its longer legs to add stability. But I'm wondering that if the heavy base is a necessary option, why build it out of aluminum in the first place?

My friend built his own by modifying a auto scissor jack and it works for him. It's bolted to his bench and he added a wheel that raises and lowers it, and a plate on top that holds his Protektor bag. The only down side is that you can not slide it to support different rifles (he has to adjust himself).

Last edited:
Damn...that's Bobby Hart and Dad...I knew them back when zi was employed deep in the industry. I didn't forget about them just didn't associate outside of built rifles

Thanks for the info!!!
Sure. I shot benchrest years ago when I lived in the more uncivilized part of the USA haha. This rest came recommended by the fella that built my rifle and showed me the ropes. It was expensive even then as I recall. It followed me to Alaska. I don’t use it. I should sell it, probably cost more to mail than it’s worth.

For years I've used a Hoppe's front rest with Protektor bags and it has been adaquate. That said, I'm not a bench rest competition shooter. The Aluminum Protektor front rest looks interesting with its longer legs to add stability. But I'm wondering that if the heavy base is a necessary option, why build it out of aluminum in the first place?

My friend built his own by modifying a auto scissor jack and it works for him. It's bolted to his bench and he added a wheel that raises and lowers it, and a plate on top that holds his Protektor bag. The only down side is that you can not slide it to support different rifles (he has to adjust himself).
My guess is that base would be nice to use on the cement benches out there. Or offer up a solid foundation on a wood bench that has open spots between boards.

My guess is that base would be nice to use on the cement benches out there. Or offer up a solid foundation on a wood bench that has open spots between boards.
At one of the private ranges, there is a cement bench which is rough, I always bring a 8x8 cloth canvas and cover that bench before I put all my stuff on it to shoot. Keeps from tearing up the bottom of bull bags, scratching bipod feet or scratching the bottom of rifle stocks. One of my big bull bags that I used for years has had the bottom all eroded from cement benches or rough wood benches and sand leaked out. I put several layers of blue painter tape on the bottom of bull bags, helps protect them. The one I am currently using lasted like 5 times longer than the old bull bag. Some of the rear bull bags has those thick leather layer on the bottom which has no issues, unlike the bull bag I currently use which is thin on the bottom. I use a big bull bag up front and the little rear bull bag for the rear.

Last edited:
Back