Made it to the range this afternoon

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Well after getting a few things off the list, I was able to go shooting.

Dad's 25-06 110 AccuBond/RL19
50.0-1.047" 2 in 1 out
50.5-0.958" 2 in 1 out
51.0-2.539"

I am going to pick the 50.5 load and try some at different depts. (.015/.030/.045 shorter than todays loads)

270 win 130 Btip/H4831sc
55.5-0.852" 2 in 1 out
56.0-2.456"
56.5-1.636"

In the past the 55.0 and 55.5 have been the most accurate. I think I will try 55.0/55.2 and 55.5 next time out and then pick the best and play with the seating depth.

.243 using Blue Box Federals
group 1-0.783"
#2-0.636"
#3-0.729"
I hope I can get my reloads to shoot that well.

.338WM 250 Partitions/H4831sc/3.300" COAL/Win Mag Primer
67.5-2.734" 2 touching 1 out
69.5-2.040" 2 in 1 out
71.5-3.157"

Not the results I was hoping for with the 338. I am going to try 210s next since I now have the screws as 50-15-50 in/lbs.

You have some promising results among those you list. You're moving in the right direction.

In that 270 Win with 130 ballistic tips work up to 60 grs of H4831 or the sc version. Most every 270 Win I have ever see will shoot little bitty groups between 3000 and 3200 fps depending on barrel length. Try them 10 thousands off the lands.

That Blue Box Federal ammo seems to be very accurate no matter what caliber. I have a friend that owns a gun shop that offers sighting in of scopes and if people don't bring their own ammo this is what he has my hunting buddy use to sight in the rifles with. When I am there during hunting season I help and this ammo really shoots in most rifles. The bullets are old school cup and core but they kill deer really well.

1Shot":2opa4s0z said:
In that 270 Win with 130 ballistic tips work up to 60 grs of H4831 or the sc version. Most every 270 Win I have ever see will shoot little bitty groups between 3000 and 3200 fps depending on barrel length. Try them 10 thousands off the lands.

That Blue Box Federal ammo seems to be very accurate no matter what caliber. I have a friend that owns a gun shop that offers sighting in of scopes and if people don't bring their own ammo this is what he has my hunting buddy use to sight in the rifles with. When I am there during hunting season I help and this ammo really shoots in most rifles. The bullets are old school cup and core but they kill deer really well.
the 60 grs. H4831 is an accuracy standard w/ the 130 !!!!

Looks like the 25-06 is mighty close. I can't imagine you have too much to make your 338 shoot either. Still seems pretty decent the way it is now. I know 2" isn't woodchuck medicine, but that load could easily tune up I bet. Sounds like you have it licked.

One thing I have noticed with the 338 is that it seems you go up in charge weight by 2 grain increments. By doing so you are skipping 3 opportunities in between each 2 grain increment for a great load.

OU812":38uez7xn said:
One thing I have noticed with the 338 is that it seems you go up in charge weight by 2 grain increments. By doing so you are skipping 3 opportunities in between each 2 grain increment for a great load.
I go up in half grain increments.
I'd suggest the same for you. I discovered a sub moa load at one charge, then a larger than moa load at half a grain more, and finally a tighter than the previous sub moa load at half a grain more from the previous charge.
Moving up in half grain increments is beneficial I find. You will likely discover the same.

Vince":2bdwcv5f said:
OU812":2bdwcv5f said:
I'd suggest the same for you. I discovered a sub moa load at one charge, then a larger than moa load at half a grain more, and finally a tighter than the previous sub moa load at half a grain more from the previous charge.
Moving up in half grain increments is beneficial I find. You will likely discover the same.

I always start 2 to 2.5 grains below book max and work up by .5 grain increments. Always find 2 accuracy nodes, sometimes more.

OU812":2vlvfbdm said:
Vince":2vlvfbdm said:
OU812":2vlvfbdm said:

I always start 2 to 2.5 grains below book max and work up by .5 grain increments. Always find 2 accuracy nodes, sometimes more.
[emoji106]

I throw the minimum and maximum load out, usually, and work up in half grain increments.
I'd that bullet and powder combo is going to work I'll usually find it in there. I used to switch powder if I didn't find something I liked but have recently started switching bullets. I've found acceptable loads quicker that way. I would rank the order of importance like so:
Bullet
Powder Charge
Seating Depth

Good luck!

Vince

wisconsinteacher":1c48m55q said:
Great advice. I used the 2 grain jumps because the Nosler manual has those 3 listed.

Your not wrong at all WT. I use 1.5-2 grain intervals starting out as well. Lets me know where I'm at. I'd burn a lb of powder working up some of the bigger jugged cartridges going a .5 grain at a time. I shoot for a speed goal I can live with then start working towards accuracy by adjusting seating depth. I don't win every time but I come close enough to start tuning loads.

SJB358":1niinh4o said:
wisconsinteacher":1niinh4o said:
Great advice. I used the 2 grain jumps because the Nosler manual has those 3 listed.

Your not wrong at all WT. I use 1.5-2 grain intervals starting out as well. Lets me know where I'm at. I'd burn a lb of powder working up some of the bigger jugged cartridges going a .5 grain at a time. I shoot for a speed goal I can live with then start working towards accuracy by adjusting seating depth. I don't win every time but I come close enough to start tuning loads.

If I did 1.5-2 grain increments I would never find an accurate load as I only start 2 grain below max and work up in .5 to max.

OU812":1m5907dn said:
SJB358":1m5907dn said:
wisconsinteacher":1m5907dn said:

If I did 1.5-2 grain increments I would never find an accurate load as I only start 2 grain below max and work up in .5 to max.

Bill I think we get to the same place, I just know some cartridges don't follow the book so I go about it differently but I believe we're getting to the same spot at the end of the day.

SJB358":sptf1ha7 said:
OU812":sptf1ha7 said:
SJB358":sptf1ha7 said:
wisconsinteacher":sptf1ha7 said:

Bill I think we get to the same place, I just know some cartridges don't follow the book so I go about it differently but I believe we're getting to the same spot at the end of the day.

Oh yes we are getting to the same place on different roads. IMO .5 increments cover more ground to finding accuracy when all we are trying to find is a node at which the bullet leaves the barrel at zero of a 360 degree sine wave.

For the off the shelf calibers that is the method I use but for your 35 Newton and my old 338 O'brien things are different with data being pretty thin.

Back