Made my first reloads

Dr. Vette":1wzntfrr said:
nvbroncrider":1wzntfrr said:
Redding does make micrometer seater plugs for their dies to replace the standard plug. They are pretty slick and if I recall correctly run about $35 and are interchangeable between some calibers depending on which plug they take. Go to midwayusa and check them out.

Unfortunately again, none listed for 7mm Weatherby.

The Forster ones are $54 through Grafs under dealer price. I'll see how this goes along as I progress the next few months. I suspect that with my next order to Grafs I'll add it on at that time..
I could be wrong but I think this is the conversion they are talking about.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163434 ... winchester

Whoops. I think I misinterpreted.

icon-59.gif

Seating part way, rotating and seating the rermainder is an exercise in futility. I have tried it for concentricity and depth, no difference. I use the Forster competition in many calibers, they work as well as the Redding and cost less. I ran into the problem of bullet tip hitting the inside of the seating stem when loading VLD bullets. Redding offers a different cup/stem for loading them. Constant neck tension with the same seating pressure/speed etc. Will yield better results and they should be measured to the ogive.Rick.

Thanks Rick. I can see I'll need to practice more on these. I used the S-bushing die to try and get consistent neck tension on all of them so it may come down to how I use the press. I'll also have to see if the micrometer seating die makes any difference.

I've got a lot of 270 cases and bullets I can play with to learn technique. Set a bunch, pull bullets, try again. :grin:

What those micrometer seater really make nice is swapping bullets very easy th change your COAL from bullet to bullet after you find your seating depth write in down in your log book.

Buy a Forster Benchrest Seater for your .270 Weatherby. That is what I did for my .340 when neither RCBS nor Redding seating dies would give me the concentricity control that I wanted.

Doc you are doing just fine for just starting out. It won't be long & you will have the consistency you desire and will be more that happy with your loads!

Blessings,
Dan

I bought a small bottle of Dychem Blue. It has lasted for several years and is still liquid if I need it to check sizer die setup. A blue marker works but drys harder and faster.

Oldtrader3":1ory218j said:
I bought a small bottle of Dychem Blue. It has lasted for several years and is still liquid if I need it to check sizer die setup. A blue marker works but drys harder and faster.

Man, great idea Charlie! Never thought of using Dychem! Excellent idea.

Mental note, score some Dykchem!

Scotty, A 4 oz bottle of Dykem will last a lifetime. You can get Dykem at Midway or Brownells for $9.99. Plus I use it for other metal work as well, even scope ring lapping or marking a drill and tap.

Patrick, I think you're in good shape so far. The real test will be when you start shooting the darn things and find out how accurate some loads are, and how inaccurate others are. Tuning will become second nature soon enough. Kind of like the learning curve on tuning Vettes, I suspect.

Congrats on getting your first loads built. Post pics of the range results. Oh, and be ready for a swelled sense of pride when you take game with your own handloads the first few times. It's very gratifying.

Thanks.

Of course, it will be Dad taking the elk this fall with these loads and rifle. My 7mm shoots OK with the factory ammo we have here. However, I will likely work on that one in the future.

Dr. Vette":7ax93o9p said:
Thanks.

Of course, it will be Dad taking the elk this fall with these loads and rifle. My 7mm shoots OK with the factory ammo we have here. However, I will likely work on that one in the future.

Let us know when you re ready, we are here to help.

JD338

Back