Magnum primers or L rifle?

X ring 7mag

Beginner
Dec 14, 2005
Hi all. I'm trying to work up a load for my 7x57, but i'm just not getting a group that pleases me. What i'm trying to build is a 140 AB with RL19 powder. With 50 grains, i'm pretty well into the neck of the case, so i guess it would be fair to say that after seating the bullet, it is pretty well a compressed load. With that said, would a magnum primer likely improve ignition (hopefully increasing precision) or drive me into pressure problems? I should also note that 50 grns is 1.5 grains below max.

X ring 7mag":10s4kt8o said:
Hi all. I'm trying to work up a load for my 7x57, but i'm just not getting a group that pleases me. What i'm trying to build is a 140 AB with RL19 powder. With 50 grains, i'm pretty well into the neck of the case, so i guess it would be fair to say that after seating the bullet, it is pretty well a compressed load. With that said, would a magnum primer likely improve ignition (hopefully increasing precision) or drive me into pressure problems? I should also note that 50 grns is 1.5 grains below max.
Hi my name is Corbin and i use a 270 with magnum primers because the magnum primer gives a quicker blast. ever since i started to use magnum primers i have been putting 3 shots into a dime but with normal primers i could put 3 shots into about a 3 inch radious but if you switch to magnum primers then you should get a better group. if you have any questions then email me at sniperspyder91@hotmail.com

As always, anytime you change a component drop down and work back up. Your load is getting close to Max, just popping in a Mag primer might put you dangerously over pressure.

Using Mag primers does not automatically turn a "bad load" into a "good load". And no 2 rifles are the same. I used mag primers in a 270 because I had them laying around and none of the regulars. I was to cheap to go buy some because I know the 270 can use them. In my case, the 270 liked mag primers. I know many that say to not use a mag primer in a 270. It just all depends. Mag primers create a hotter spark which usually increases pressure. Some loads and rifles respond to it, and some dont. It is however a cheap and easy thing to try out, and it may tighten up your groups considerably.

Now, I didn't start with standard rifle primers, but here is my situation. I started with WLRM in my 270 WSM and 338 WM. Did the laod developement and so on. For some reason I don't remember, I tried Fed 215M primers. What a difference. The 270 WSM 150PT, I was able to get better accuracy and more velocity. The 160PT - same amount of powder, better accuracy. Not much difference in the 338 due to my figuring out how to make the Browning BOSS work for me.

I will be loading my 168g VLD's with 2 different primers and trying them out hopefully in the morning. I worked up my load with Fed215match primers. Well I ran out and now I have a case of the regular 215. My load with the match was at 64g Rl-22 and was giving 2940fps and .35" at 100 yards. So I'll be seeing how this load does with the non match fed. Hopefully I wont lose much of anything. I dont want to reassemble a whole new load. Usually though if its off, its not by much.

There is no reason not to try it, but I am pretty sure a magnum primer will not help any with your load development.

First of all, the 7X57 case is not big enough to justify a magnum primer in my opinion. Just not necessary to light the amount of powder it will hold.

Secondly, in my testing I have found that RL 19 always gives better results when using standard primers, even in some large magnum cases. I tested two different brands of primers in my 338 Win Mag and both brands gave better groups when using the standard primers vs the magnums. I recently tested my 270 WSM with RL 19 and standard primers were again better. (Better groups and lower standard deviations over the chronograph.)

If you switch to Mag primers, remember to start low and work up.
Mag primers are typically called for when you get to 60 + gr charge loads.
I have always had great luck with Federal Gold Match primers, you may want to give the standard GM210M primer a try. If this doesn't help, try the GM215M magnum primer.

Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

All you need is Standard primers with the 7x57.......try Fed 210 Match they should work perfect.

X ring 7mag":1heywj2k said:
thanx for the reply. i think i'm gonna try it tomorrow.
yep but dont start to high of a load at first work your way up. then if you want to you can tell me if you got a better group.

X-Ring
I posted a few months back about a what I thought to be a primer issue. I received a lot of good input and now have the round shooting very well.
I was having a hang-fire issue.....trying to light 96grs of powder with benchrest primers......didn't work.....that mag primers have solved that issue.....however all my other rounds still use standard primers. Is that the only powder you've tried?

Actually, I think you'll find that the Winch WLR's are as "hot" as some magmums. I seen some tests that were done measuring the briance (the "hotness" if you will) and the WLR's came out ahead of the Remington Mag's.

Blaine

sorry it has taken so long to reply, but at any rate here goes...absolutely no luck with RL19 and AB's in this rifle. When i first got the rifle I shot a sub half inch group using hornady 139 and H414 that a buddy had loaded, however, even by matching the velocity i can't get it inside an inch. I hate that, because Reloader powder shoots extremely well in every other rifle that i own. The nosler manual lists H414 as the most accurate powder in the 140 class, so i suppose that I will resume with a new round of testing via H414. Thanks to all for the help. For anyone that's interested, the load i mentioned was 48 grains of H414 and a 139 Hornady at around 2800 from a CZ american.

140 gr Nosler BT or AB

42.0 of IMR 4064 or 49.0 of IMR 4350
Fed 210 Match Primer
RP /FC/WW cases

49.0 Of H414
WLRM or Fed 215 Primer

COL 3.06"

When using ball powders I always use Mag Rifle Primers.....try extruded powders in the 7x57........I use alot of IMR 4350 and Reloader 19. Rememeber to clean your bore, the Ball powder if your not using mag primers will dirty your bore.

I use mag primers in my 4 06's and 300wm.Always used them in fall colorado hunts where the temp dropped as low as minus 40 degrees below zero on one occasion but usually in Nov it would be 10 to 15 degrees at night and in the morning.

well, here's the latest chapter in my saga. the max length listed for a 140 nosler is 3.065. so far, everything that i've loaded has been 3.06, and no combination has worked very well. after trying unsuccesfully with some h414 loads, i decided to measure the throat. much to my surprise, i'm .270 off of the lands...i'm sure that is the problem. but, in order to get the bullet out anywhere in the neighborhood, i'm going to have to seat the bullet not very much above the boattail...i'm just not sure i like that idea. i'll keep ya posted.

I suggest getting a Lee Factory Crimp Die. You can seat at the same length you are using now, and gain consistency in your ignition, and hopefully also some accuracy. I have used these Lee Crimps for a while, and my experience has been good, as well as the experience of others I have spoken to who have tried them.

Also, if you are using the H414, which is a nice little ball powder, you can try the mag primers. I use them a lot with small cases and ball powders. Almost every load manual I have says to use them in my 30-30 when using ball, and other cartridges are listed similarly. Always start lower, as mag primers can (and will) increase pressure. You can also switch brands of primer, just to see. Never had a problem myself like that, but a friend of mine had a rifle that would not shoot with Remington or Winchester primers, but shot great with CCI. If none of these work, you have the option of switching to a 160 or 175gr bullet to gain some length (or a Barnes, as they are longer than lead core for a given weight) to get out closer to the lands. Also, your rifle may just not like the bullet, and you may have to go back to the 139gr Hornady. Check out their Interbond if you are dead set on bonded. Good luck with the rifle.

You might want to give IMR4350 a try, again with the Federal GM210M primer. Seat the bullet so that the base of the bullet is flush with the bottom of the neck.
Also, make sure you have a clean barrel and all the copper fouling is out.

JD338

Back