Making 35 Remington brass

I’ve had pretty good luck finding odd ball brass at a reasonable price on gunbroker. Patience is needed. Happened to see some new Remington, 50 pices with a current bid of 16 bucks. Also some once fired. FYI. Not suggesting your. 35 is an odd ball. :)
Yep it is rare but you do find a great deal once in awhile. I wouldn’t bid though. I just got 100 Remington cases for 50 bucks.30-06.

Slick! Take a breath buddy Jeepers.
I’m not saying the OP is a newb. Bad advice to new handloaders, who read and not comment , to bump shoulders on this cartridge, it really is, ESPECIALLY with a pump or lever rifle !

Last edited:
Well, I certainly didn't mean to raise a stink about 35 Rem brass:D. My experiences is that I have no problems with neck or case failure afer several loadings. Primer pockets do loosen same as other calibers. Nothing different because it's a 35 Rem. One of the best pieces of information requarding the 35 Rem is what Ken Waters wrote in his Pet Loads article. He stated and I have done it is to neck size only or at least as much as possible so as not to push the shoulder back. This works in my Rem 760 and the Marlin I just traded up the other day. I even used the same loads for the 760 in the Marlin 336 with no problems whatsoever and got just over an inch group. The 35 Rem is a low-pressure round, compared to others and the shoving back of the shoulder can cause headspace problems involving the case with the primers backing out from the case moving forward in the chamber when hit by the firing pin then rebounding back against the bolt face. In my shooting, Winchester Factory rounds have been more problematic than others. Maybe a bad lot but saw it more than once. The 35 Rem is not a problem cartridge to load for and has been very enjoyable for me. Just wish and hope it doesn't get killed off. Dan.

I use them for hunting and rather not take the risk of them not chambering. Especially with my 760. Glad there’s no failures for some. Admit it that its not a good idea to do to a less of a camming power action not to do what you normally do with a bolt action, can you at least admit that ? Some of you really can’t give up the testosterone can you?

You can’t see if the bolt rotates to fully lock up. Bad enough that my 760 has a extremely short free bore and the bullet has to be seated deeper than normal. And please don’t tell me otherwise, l’m not making a mistake considering Remington told that the way some of those rifles were, back in the 70’s. I load 170 grain Speer FN hot cores with zero issues other than an occasional neck or shoulder failure. It doesn’t happen much but it does. I have more brass than l’ll ever need for what l use it for. Besides, who cares if they do fail, it’s not like it matters if the did….
Speer 180gr FN. Not 170;)

You can’t see if the bolt rotates to fully lock up.
You don't need to "see" anything. On a 760 if it goes off, the bolt is fully rotated and locked up.

If you've ever had them apart and looked at how they work, it is mechanically impossible to be otherwise. The design is both simple and foolproof.

In that respect they are safer than some bolt gun designs which in theory could go off without the bolt being fully rotated and completely locked.

You don't need to "see" anything. On a 760 if it goes off, the bolt is fully rotated and locked up.

If you've ever had them apart and looked at how they work, it is mechanically impossible to be otherwise. The design is both simple and foolproof.

In that respect they are safer than some bolt gun designs which in theory could go off without the bolt being fully rotated and completely locked.
Well..... that's fine and dandy for you and that's true, however........... it may feel like it's locked and if it doesn't fire that's the point. It's not something I would want to risk on this cartridge, but that's me, nor would I encourage anyone to do ! You can respond and argue the point, but I feel I'm done here.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to raise a stink about 35 Rem brass:D.
No stink here Dan. Ha. I'm gonna keep on doing what works in my 760. (y)

I hear ya on that low pressure shoving back the shoulder. My understanding of how that works is it gets bumped back on the initial slam forward from the firing pin, then doesn't have enough pressure to fully expand the brass to chamber size, including stretched back to the bolt face. So on the next loading you are starting with a shorter case, and it just keeps getting compounded.

I'm loading enough over book pressure that I believe I'm able to avoid that. At least no signs of it I can see.

Well..... that's fine and dandy for you and that's true, however........... it may feel like it's locked and if it doesn't fire that's the point. It's not something I would want to risk on this cartridge, but that's me, nor would I encourage anyone to do ! You can respond and argue the point, but I feel I'm done here.

There's no "feeling" like the bolt is locked. If the action bar is locked, that means the bolt is locked and it will fire. It also means that each and every time it fires the bolt is indeed locked up.

Neither can happen without the other.

There's no "feeling" like the bolt is locked. If the action bar is locked, that means the bolt is locked and it will fire. It also means that each and every time it fires the bolt is indeed locked up.

Neither can happen without the other.
And if your out hunting, and you fire a shot, miss, and go to chamber a new round, and it doesn’t fire, then what? I take it your completely on top of your game all the time correct and don’t doubt you check all your rounds ahead of time. You’re above everyone else and everyone should be like you. Did you happen to read Fotis thread “pay attention !!!” ??

My father law lent me his m88 being hell bent on using FF loads. Stupid. I went to go rechamber a round having a rather stiff lever extracting the case and loading another round to finish a nice spine clipped buck. Yeah Ridgerunner some folks over complicate things all the time.

Last edited:
And if your out hunting, and you fire a shot, miss, and go to chamber a new round, and it doesn’t fire, then what? I take it your completely on top of your game all the time correct and don’t doubt you check all your rounds ahead of time. You’re above everyone else and everyone should be like you. Did you happen to read Fotis thread “pay attention !!!” ??

My father law lent me his m88 being hell bent on using FF loads. Stupid. I went to go rechamber a round having a rather stiff lever extracting the case and loading another round to finish a nice spine clipped buck. Yeah Ridgerunner some folks over complicate things all the time.
Fire a shot and miss, it happens, but the next round, loaded with the same die settings won't fire? do you really load your own? 2 weeks ago you struggled fireforming, now you know all things rifles and reloading? Sorry to the board but man!

The same 20 cases fired over 100 times now total in both hunting scenarios and on the bench. Sure, one could not chamber, but why would I expect anything to change just out of the blue until it's time to throw the cases away.

I could also pull out of my driveway tomorrow and the front wheel could come off of my truck and I could get run over by a semi. Why worry about what isn't likely? The most uncomplicated things in life is just to roll with what works and not worry about all the what ifs when you've already done your homework and checking.

The same 20 cases fired over 100 times now total in both hunting scenarios and on the bench. Sure, one could not chamber, but why would I expect anything to change just out of the blue until it's time to throw the cases away.

I could also pull out of my driveway tomorrow and the front wheel could come off of my truck and I could get run over by a semi. Why worry about what isn't likely? The most uncomplicated things in life is just to roll with what works and not worry about all the what ifs when you've already done your homework and checking.
you didn't engineer your lug nuts but you are in control to making a mistake at any time.. precaution is the best safeguard.

Fire a shot and miss, it happens, but the next round, loaded with the same die settings won't fire? do you really load your own? 2 weeks ago you struggled fireforming, now you know all things rifles and reloading? Sorry to the board but man!
whos to say I'm struggling? You are.... ?? Considering that all bras behaves differently, tells all. You can have factory ammo that can fireform with no problem, and other times it takes more to get it.

Do most guys bump shoulders and and ALWAYS have case after case chamber correctly? Do you or shadetree prevent excessive spring back by holding the case in the die for a bit to get consistent setback ?

Last edited:
You're doing something wrong. I'm on my 5th reloading on a batch with no signs of thinning ahead of the case web or anything else indicating they are remotely close to done yet. I've annealed twice, and just like any other brass set my die to minimally bump the shoulder. Not much case stretching as I've had to do little trimming on them.

I'm loading them hot in a Rem 760. Remington brass from factory Rem Core Lokt ammo.
which is it ? Your 5th loading or this ?

The same 20 cases fired over 100 times now total in both hunting scenarios and on the bench
which is it ? hmmm dying to hear this answer

whos to say I'm struggling?
You did

which is it ? Your 5th loading or this ?

which is it ? hmmm dying to hear this answer
The same 20 cases fired over 100 times now in total, which is exactly what I said.. 20 X ? = 100. I'll clue you in, it's 5.

My point was and is, that none of those cases fired all those times have remotely failed to chamber or extract when randomly grabbing anyone of them and doing so. I see no reason that will change until the brass has reached the end of its useable life.

You did
And plenty of other people do too, and struggle to get the case to get sized, at least l figured it out with a tip and figured out a better way since then. Can’t say that for other people who gave up on them. Isn’t this hobby more trial and error more than anything? Why else would small base dies be available if trending the tight rope was the way to go ?

The same 20 cases fired over 100 times now in total, which is exactly what I said.. 20 X ? = 100. I'll clue you in, it's 5.

My point was and is, that none of those cases fired all those times have remotely failed to chamber or extract when randomly grabbing anyone of them and doing so. I see no reason that will change until the brass has reached the end of its useable life.
Oh now you clarify ok.. 🤨 carry on.

Back