marketing decisions?

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
Who decides what new products will be developed and marketed by Nosler? I am just curious, because I was reviewing the new products for 2005, and while I can't criticize the choices of introducing the new Accubonds in .25 cal 110 gr; .30 caliber 150 gr and even .338 cal. 180 gr (OK, I guess), why oh why did they choose to develop an 8mm AccuBond? What are there, about 100 people nationwide that are actively shooting that caliber? There have got to be many times more 6.5 shooters nationwide (and worldwide, too for that matter) and yet the 6.5 shooters still are "Accubondless". The only thing that could have caused this highly questionable decision is that Winchester desparately wanted Accubonds available for their new .325WSM, so Nosler placated them. Frankly, I don't think that even the AccuBond and the new .325WSM can resurrect the 8mm cartridge in this country. If .30 caliber isn't enough, Americans seem to want a .338. I guess time will tell, if the .325WSM's don't sell, and wind up on a discount rack somewhere, maybe I will even buy one. But it would have to be a pretty big discount.
I wouldn't wait too long to get a 6.5 AccuBond out. I noticed that Swift has a 6.5 Scirocco "coming soon" on their website. I would sure like to see a 6.5 AccuBond available and hopefully undercut Swift's prices. :idea:

2ndtimer:

They'll probably respond to your inquiry about like they do to the 17 and 20 caliber polls they have running.

On the 8MM - hadn't you heard, a whole lost prisoner of war camp (WWII) was just discovered in Nosler's parking lot and all of the newly released prisoners wanted a bullet to shoot in their Karabiner 98's. LOL - BCB

Along with the 17 and 20 caliber, I too would like to see more 6.5 bullets. I shoot my 6.5 caliber rifles a lot more than I do my one old 8MM Mauser.

- BCB :)

I have to agree on the 8mm still scratching my head over that one. ( and still waiting on a heavy 22 or a 6.5 AccuBond. surely there is a bigger market out there for these

Glad to see I am not the only one somewhat puzzled by the 8mm AccuBond. I was thinking too, the bigger the bore, the more a rifle recoils, and the more recoil a rifle has, the less one tends to shoot it. (Masochists, excepted, of course). So again, would it not make more sense to produce the 6.5 Accubonds, given that they are used in lighter recoiling rifles, hence more comfortable to shoot, hence, more bullets purchased? Of course, these are generalities, and I am sure someone will probably respond about how they shoot prairie dogs with their 8mm Remington Magnums and how glad they are to have the Accubonds available to deal long distance ultimate destruction to those dangerous beasts. But still, it seems to me that offering bullets in lighter recoiling calibers would seem to increase sales, and isn't that good for the company producing the product? And if winchester did twist the Nosler's arms to produce the 8mm, someone should remind winchester that they do offer rifles in 6.5 caliber, too. Even though not very many people are buying .264 Win Mags, I hear of a few people going for the Featherweight in 6.5x55. Maybe I should try leaning on Winchester instead of Nosler. :idea:

My guess is that Nosler developed the 8mm Acubond for the 325 WSM. This is only a guess, but the new 325 is actually a 8mm bullet. Just my .02 worth.

Back