Maximum acceptable group size?

Well done, Fotis. That .44-40 is especially impressive. I can get 1-1.5" groups from my Henry .45-70 on a fairly regular basis; the .45 Colt is more like 1.5-2", and sometimes a lot more, when I'm working on a load. Some of those pistol bullets seem to have a narrow accuracy window and go wonky when pushed too much.

I feel you. Sometimes I get a bug up my buttocks and I break down and work on their loads like they are target rifles. Sometimes that takes a long time and alot of components.

I was shooting 5/8 inch groups at 200 yards today with my 22-250. I was happy with that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

My howa target rifle in 6.5 CM is .350" and under rifle everytime unless I screw up with most around 1/4". My deer hunting rifles which is interarms mark x 30/06, sauer 9.3x62 (except 250 AB load), ruger african 275 rigby all have loads that are under sub moa now. My 416 taylor improved I set a goal for 1.5" and I've finally got a load that does 1" consistently, sometimes a bit less. My ghost ring sighted 98 mauser in 9.3x62 as long as I'm consistently in the 2"-3" range at 100 yards I'm happy with it. In all honesty all 84 deer I've killed in my life would be just as dead with a 3" grouping rifle, but I guess I like to get mad and stressed out trying to shoot tight groups lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Here you go, Fotis. Had the .45 Colt Henry out this morning. Shot 2 groups at 100 yds. I had sighted in with a different load, so the first group was several inches to the left of POA. No biggie, just looking for group size.

IMG_20200704_105503.jpg

I didn't want to adjust the scope, so I just used Kentucky windage (since I'm in Kentucky, lol) for the next group. Three shots are visible, but I actually believe there are 4 in there. Unless I had a flyer that was clear off the paper (seems unlikely), there are 4 shots there.

IMG_20200704_105417.jpg

As you said earlier, it can (and has) taken lots of time and components to find accurate loads for these pistol-caliber rifles, but it can be done eventually. In this case, 240gr Sierra JHP, 20.5gr Accurate #9 powder, WLP primer, Starline brass.

Being a hunter I view group size for a particular rifle with a squinted-eye. All of my rifles shoot great groups off of the bench when I do my part. But 1/2 inch groups does not equate to a dead elk or deer.
My goal is being a better shot in hunting conditions. I start with a single shot from a cold barrel at a 9 inch plate off the bench then quickly shoot from standing (unsupported) kneeling, and sitting. I am happy with 4 holes in the plate regardless of their spread. Dead elk! My range has 12x12 steel hung all over a mountain at 200,250,350,400, 500 and 700 yards. So with shooting sticks, backpack, Leupold CDL scopes, and from a sitting or kneeling position I practice to get off a shots quickly at the 200,250,350 and 400 yard. When I consistently clang the gongs I am happy with my group size. I try to do this once a week. Once August rolls around, I'll add in the cardio work prior to shooting to get more realistic.

Back