McGowen vs. Krieger Vs. Lothar Walthar

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
I've mentioned that I'm having a custom rifle built in the .404 Jeffery. The plan is to use 400 grain bullets @ 2300 fps. Maybe a tad more depending on how things go. So far I have been emailing rifle manufacturers and Northfork bullets for their input. Without going into too much minutia some barrel makers are out due to not having the tooling or not offering the twist rate I desire.

We are down to three notable barrel makers as the thread indicates. Two are button rifled barrels and one is a cut rifle barrel. I'm fortunate that Scotty lives far enough away because he might take a rolled up newspaper to me for even thinking of a button rifled barrel.............. :shock:

Anyway, McGowen and Lothar Walthar are experienced with hunting barrels including some of the larger bores. I own one McGowen and it shoots lights out without fouling. LW barrels are world renown for hunting barrels. The only rifled barrel in the group is Krieger which no slouch.

A dedicated D.G. rifle this will be ranges from 50 to 100 yards and the need for M.O.A is not really necessary. However, I could someday load some lighter faster bullets @ 2700 fps and this would be a dandy elk rifle????? While this rifle would never see 600 yards a cut rifled barrel might make a difference???

Saying that my button cut McGowen prints 1.75" @ 300 yards. More than hunting accurate!

So, any opinions from this crowd? :>)

Charles, since you and mum are good friends, I will not mention to her that your thinking of anything but a cut rifle barrel. You don't want her and Scotty both after you lol. I also voted Krieger on a previous thread-----However: Holland and Holland will sell you a barrel and they are not chopped liver--needless to say it will be a cut rifle barrel.

Are you going with Scotty or me on the twist ?

Best Regards

Jamila

I think they will get the job done.. I like the cut rifled barrels but they will all do what you need.

I wouldn't know how to choose from those three respected barrel makers.

Have had excellent success on my match rifle with a series of cut-rifled Krieger barrels.

My .375 Model 70 has a Douglas barrel and shoots great.

Guy

I have a Douglas barrel on my 257 Roberts and it will shoot bug holes all day long. Just put the cross hairs where you want the bullet to go and squeeze the trigger and watch the hole blossom where it was. That barrel is uncannily accurate with every bullet weight I've tried in it, so cut or button will get the job done, from what I have experienced it takes longer to break a cut barrel in to get the best accuracy out of it.

I have a McGowen barrel on my 9.3x62mm Mauser. It's got paper match shooting accuracy for a medium bore rifle and I think that's perfect.

I had a Krieger on a 404 Jeffry, it was very nicely done. Unfortunately, and eye problem had me back away from the heavy hitters. I was going to use it on a buffalo cull hunt too...bummer. anyhow, for American game, I traded a mold to Marshall Stanton at Beartooth and he made some nice cast, gas checked bullets for the 404. I would use them on elk. I gave that rfile and everything to a missionary friend who had an opp to shoot buffalo in the Northern Territory/Australia. he never did, but he was set anyhow! :)

Thanks for the replies,

I've got a few after market barrels on a few rifles and have never had a bad one. Of course, these are not target rifles and I am not experienced enough to make shots out to ranges that some folks do so what constitutes "good" for me may not even get close to some.

Preacher, did you ever find out how that 404 jeffery shot? That would be a great insight for sure.

I'm pretty sure that any of these barrels would work better than my needs but, I do need to make a choice. Since I do not want "mum" after me with a rolled up news paper I am leaning to Kreiger. :lol:

Yes sir, I shot it some before my left retina "showed its behind" :evil: :twisted: . I developed a "Gigantic Tear of the Retina"...it was listed as such! And, the Doc said it had nothing to do with shooting big guns, it just happened. I had him tell that to my wife, ha! He did say I had to be cautious, so best not to shoot the big guns anymore, nor heavy duck loads in a 3.5" 12ga...in front of her too!
Anyhow, the cast loads came with a Gas Check, 380gr and I shot them exactly 2400fps with a load I can't remember now! sorry, but they did just great. I also shot some 400gr Woodleighs with the same load, if I remember right. I sent all that data with the rifle to my buddy, and this was back in 2002....I have definitely slept since then! :) My rifle was made on an opened up Mod 98 Mauser (done the right way, I have a great gunsmith buddy), 24" krieger, 5 shot drop magazine and had it set in a safari style synthetic. NECG express sights. I had my smith cut a bit of "reverse pitch" on the butt when he was adding the recoil pad. The rifle pulled itself downward during recoil. "To me"...from what I could read about the old 404 Jeffry...was that it kicked like a 375 H&H but hit like a 458 mag and it did. Wonderful cartridge for the boogermen! I had worked up a trade with my smith for his labor and the action, the rest I paid for. I was out about 2K. It would take about 3800 to duplicate it now. Good luck to you...I'm jealous. :)

Thanks Preacher. I'm going with the Krieger and it will be 24" when all said and done.

Back