Sierra 160 gr SPBT Game King from mule deer

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I turned to these bullets due to logistics. I already had 200 of them sitting here, leftover from a rifle I'd sold ten years ago. Went back to my old handload too, 65 grains of RL-22. Years ago I found that powder charge usually produced good accuracy and 3,000+ fps from pretty much any 7mm Rem Mag I tried.

This time, with my Ruger Number One and a 26" barrel. I got sub MOA accuracy and 3050 fps. Load development stopped right there.

You guys know that I normally hunt with Nosler bullets, but time to time in the past I've used Sierras as well. They're a rather simple bullet. No bells & whistles. No plastic tip. Just a lead core with a gilding metal jacket. A boat tail base and an exposed lead tip. But... That too can work just fine.

I knew I was hunting mule deer and antelope. Not heavily armored panzers. :wink: So I gave them a try. First shot was at a bit under 150 yards. Caught the mule deer buck a bit farther back than I would have liked. Got his lungs, but sadly caught a bit of the guts too. Phooey. He fell to the earth and died instantly. I am fond of instant death for my game animals. No tracking. No lost game.

I could feel the bullet under the hide, so I got out my pocket knife and cut it from the carcass. It hasn't been cleaned at all, so some of the weight might be from the mung adhering to it.

The shot through the ribs caused almost no meat loss. Four inches farther forward would have been perfect shot placement as far as I'm concerned.

Bullet weight went from 160 grains to 92.5 grains, nicely mushroomed.

wNsw4P9h.jpg

CZQ85M5h.jpg

hgWXWNgh.jpg

kPG500Wh.jpg

The bullet that hit my antelope at about 200 yards passed through after inflicting tremendous damage. That damage was due to my poor shot placement. I didn't lead the moving animal enough, and my shot struck the antelope in the hindquarters, destroying them. It was an instant drop, but rather seriously limited the amount of meat available, and of course the animal required a finishing shot.

I have no reservations about using the Sierra Game King for deer & antelope sized game.

Regards, Guy

When you speak of the massive damage inflicted by the Sierra Game King, I made the decision at one point to use the Game King in my hunts for bears. This was after a second extended search for a bear well hit with a 175 grain TBBC and another hit with a TSX. I liked the idea of massive damage so I didn't have to go crawling through thick brush to find a bear. You are correct that the Game King (and the Interlock, as far as that goes) inflicts considerable damage at higher velocities such as generated with a 7 RM. That bullet you show definitely did the job, however.

Interesting choice for the bear Dr Mike. I like your reasoning.

This is probably why I continue to like the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets so much for deer, antelope and even black bear & elk. Lots of damage. Put a fast-expanding "soft" bullet in the heart and lungs, and things stop working. In a hurry.

Guy

Nice catch Guy. The Sierra Game King definitely did the job and looks pretty good.

JD338

that bullet looks great . you couldn't ask for much more than it provided . I too like a plain ole cup and core bullet for hunting thin skin game .

Excellent performance from a cup n core bullet. Using the 150 Sierra GameKings in the 7 RM this deer season. as well.

Have a 165 SGK lined up for white tail in 3006. My son will be Manning that gun. I’ve used the SGK HPBT in 243 and been impressed. 5 of 6 where dead right there(the 6th got 20 yards... DRT for all practical purposes.

It’s great to be able to track, but I’d rather just go pick them up and find dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had great luck with the Sierra gameking in the past. The 140 grain ones in 6.5 mm at 2700 fps always performed excellent for me. Always had great accuracy with that bullet also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've used both Gamekings and Pro hunters on many occasions over the years and have never lost an animal due to bullet performance. I use either the 225 Pro hunter or the 225 Partition in my .338 Ultramag for Elk and I find that the pro hunter gives me more weight retention and excellent expansion in Elk. Both bullets perform excellent!

We used them a lot in our 270s and never had a complaint. The only bullet failure I ever had was in a whitetail. Core separated on a frontal shot at 20 yards. Deer was dead before he hit the ground though, so it still did it's job.

For many years, I used Federal's Premium ammunition with the 160 gr SGK in my 7MM STW, and it performed very well on mule deer, whitetail, moose, elk, mountain goat and mountain sheep.
I also had great results from my 7mm Rem Mag with Federal's Premium ammo with the 165 gr SGK on deer, moose and elk.
Never had an issue as long as I placed the bullet in the vitals accurately.

That looks like great performance from that bullet. Great photos. Thank you for sharing.

Dan

I never have been a fan of 130 gr. bullets in the .270 (Sorry Jack) but do like the 150 gr. Game King in my .270. Last animal I shot with that bullet was my antelope back in 2009. Bullet hit at the short ribs and exited behind the right shoulder. The antelope did about a 30 foot half circle and expired. As the shot was at about 75 yards I expected to see some serious meat damage. I was surprised at how little there was.
Paul B.

After load development, practice, checking the zero a couple of times and the hunt itself, I still have about 150 of these 160 grain Sierra Game King bullets, and another few dozen 175 gr Sierra Game Kings.

Nearly 150 of the great 160 grain Nosler Partitions too - and maybe a couple dozen 175 grain Nosler Partitions too.

And a partial box, maybe 40, of the 140 grain Nosler Accubonds.

Honestly don't think I'll need to buy 7mm hunting bullets for quite a while. :grin:

I figure I may just burn up the rest of my loaded 160 gr Sierras on coyotes this winter. This rifle seems like a good one for my snowshoe hikes/hunts.

Guy

I’ve never had any problems with handling bullets. 100gr .243, 130 .277, 150 .284, 180 .308, 225 .338, 225 .358 all with boring regularity. At modest velocity they are hard to beat. They are also usually very accurate too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll concede there are a few Sierras I like, the 225 .358 is a sure thing deer masher. Its all I’ll run in my pump 35 Whelen. Just causes a pile of trauma and big holes.

Awesome recovery Guy. It looks perfect.

SJB358":3j0nfjvu said:
I’ll concede there are a few Sierras I like, the 225 .358 is a sure thing deer masher. Its all I’ll run in my pump 35 Whelen. Just causes a pile of trauma and big holes.

Awesome recovery Guy. It looks perfect.

Thanks Scotty - I'm impressed. The 160 Sierra is quite accurate and did a fine job on the mule deer.

I'm enjoying my stash of 7mm bullets, all of which (except for a box of 140 gr Accubonds) were bought 10 - 20+ years ago. :grin:

Turns out I also have three unopened boxes of 160 grain Nosler Partitions!

Regards, Guy

Back