McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
Recently did some horsetrading with my daughter. My daugher ended up with the newest Custom Ruger 10/22 I recently built with the Nordic Compoents AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit and a KIDD 20" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel and I ended up with a Custom Ruger 77/22 I had built several years ago.

The Custom Ruger 77/22 has a 20" Stainless-Steel Clark Custom Guns Bull Barrel on it. I have reworked the factory trigger till it breaks like a glass rod at 1 1/4 Lbs, and had the stirrup that holds the trigger drilled & tapped for an overtravel screw. I had set this Barreled Action in a Volquartsen Laminated Wood Stock.

I hated the Volquarten Laminated Stock from the get go, so after shooting it for a year I took rasp and sandpaper to it and did some reshaping in the area of the wrist of the pistol grip and where the pistol grip meets the buttstock. Well this still did not suit me (can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear type of thing) and ultimately I sold it to my daughter (who liked it).

Well my grand daughter fell in love with the newed Nordic - Ruger 10/22 I just built so my daughter and I struck up a trade.

OK now to the point of this. I am going to be restocking this Custom Ruger 77/22. As you may or may not know there are not a lot of options available for Stocks for the Ruger 77/22. One that has caught my eye is the McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock. From what I understand this stock was patterned after the Anschutz 64 MPR Stock.

My main question is have any of you guys used McMillan Stocks? If so when ordering a Drop In Stock from McMillan how much if any fitting is required?

In short any and all information will be appreciated.

Larry

Larry - I'm surprised none of our gun-building types here have gotten back to you.

The only McMillan I've got fit my Rem 700 action well, but fit it even better after bedding. I'd figure on doing a bedding job for best results.

Guy

Thanks for the reply. I talked to my local stock guru and Roger told me he has used a couple McMillan Stocks over the years. Roger went on to say that the most he has had to do was a very minor skim bedding on the McMillans to make sure everything was straight and true.

Larry

My McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock arrived today for my Custom Ruger 77/22.

I originally Customized this Rifle back in 2009. I used a Volquartsen Laminated Stock with a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless Steel Bull Barrel. I reworked the factory trigger till it breaks like a glass rod at 1 1/4 lbs and had a hole drilled for an overtravel adjustment screw. Ruger 77/22 VBZ Bottom Metal was polished so it matched the Barrel and Action.

I never did care for the feel of the Volquartsen Laminated Stock so I sold it and decided to replace it with a McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock, which I ordered 50% Black, 25% Light Grey & 25% White Marble. While I was waiting for the stock to arrive I sent the Bolt to CPC for Randy's Beyond Bolt Tightening. At the same time I took advantage of Natchez Shooters Supply's sale and purchased a new Weaver V-24 6x24x42mm AO Riflescope to sit on top.

CustomRuger77-22.jpg

Above is the finished product. No I have not shot it yet since I had the bolt work done, installed the new scope or put it in the new stock, but I hope to before the weekend is over.

I am not disappointed in the stock. The size and shape of this stock is perfect for what I wanted.

Larry

That stock looks great! Looks just like the one I have on my 338 WM. I find that all I have to do is bed them. I have two, one on my 338 WM, and one on my 280 AI. Both are bedded. Other than that, nothing is required.

Thanks guys. This is my first McMillan Stock. I pondered long and hard over what colors to get and looked at tons of photos on the net. In the end now after actually holding the stock in my hand I am really glad I went with these colors.

Larry

That is a very classy looking rifle, I can't wait to see the range report with photos of course :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

That looks really nice McSwirly's are cool 8) , exactly what kind of work did you get done to your bolt?

Thanks guys.

Go to http://www.ct-precision.com/, click on "Ruger 77/22" and you will see the Beyond Bolt Tightening. "A 2 part bolt rework for 77/Rugers. A new heat treated pin is made and lapped in to tighten the gap between the 2 bolt halves. A new tool steel sleeve is heat shrinked and ground to fit inside bolt body. New internal sleeve makes the pin last longer. 2 part beyond bolt tightening is standard with all 77/Combos. On rimfire rifle versions, bolt tightening reduces flyers and tends to round out target groups. On the longer Hornet bolt, it reduces flyers and produces 25 - 30% accuracy increase."

I had it done on my bolt largely because that is about the only thing I haven't done to this rifle.

Larry

Yes they are sort of like a 10/22 in that you can do a lot of the work yourself. However I believe it was in 2010 Ruger changed the design slightly and the new ones now have threaded receivers and barrels. The triggers are easily worked over. I have done over a dozen of them over the years with very good results. This is the first one I had drilled & tapped for an overtravel stop though.

The hardest thing is finding a Custom Stock for a Ruger 77/22 as there are not a lot of choices. I had a Volquartsen Laminated but did not care for the feel of it. I had considered a Boyds Thumbhole but that wouldn't work in my application as my wife and son in law both shoot left handed while everyone else shoots right handed. When I happend on the McMillan and learned ot was truly ambidextrous that made spending the $$$ a little easier as it is above the only game in town.

Larry

Thanks

Actually I went out Sunday for a few minutes but only found one gopher that wanted to pose so I could look at it through the Weaver V24. The SK Jagd Standard Velocity Hollow Point did a fine job.

Larry

Back