Meat friendly .270 Winchester "woods load"?

Thanks guys. When I get a chance I'll check the twist on this 1980 .270, maybe its really always been 10" twist and the list I saw was a misprint? Queen sabee, sey lavie :)))

Even if it’s 1-10 it still might shoot those 180 woodliegh bullets. It is right on the edge of marginal and stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been shooting big woods deer with the 140 TSX. But have a bunch of 130 E-tips i will be working a load up for this spring. I have found the mono's to be very meat friendly and have never had to do much of a tracking job, 50 yards was the longest.

wvbuckbuster":11punzdi said:
Forgot about the Etip 130. Son used it this year and it did very little damage at about 100yds. Less than the Hornady for sure. Dan.
E-tip or barnes 150 X is the way to go!

I bet that 150X is a long one! I could never get the older Barnes 175X to shoot in two different Remington made 7mm Rem Mags, back in the 90's. I went the other direction and shot the 120X, gave that rifle to my Pastor back in Texas and he used it a ton.

It is! but for minimal meat damage less velocity and good construction will do it.
I never worried about meat lose. They was plenty left. I want a quick . clean kill above all else...

I really don't either, worry about meat loss that is. I usually try to take at least one shoulder out, two is better! However, I was reared in East Tx by a pair of Great Depression Survivors. My mom & dad canned/preserved/saved everything/used everything until it fell apart/made do all my young life! We didn't have enough deer to hunt until I was around 10yrs old ( Screw- worm epidemic in the South) Hogs were still "stock" (off limits) that was earmarked and ran loose in the woods ( paper company land) when we butchered a hog we raised, we ate everything but the proverbial 'squeal", ah. My mom even fried squirrel heads and ate the brains. So, when a deer was killed in our 'deer hunting party", it was split up evenly to everyone on the hunt(drive). Buckshot doesn't ruin a lot of meat, surprisingly. The folks who did own a 'deer rifle" ( 30-30 or sporterized Mauser/Enfields usually) shot them behind the shoulder and when they didn't ( the deer were ran with dogs) they got ridiculed/hoorayed something terrible "for ruining a handful of meat". Later, when hogs were running wild ( no longer earmarked as stock) You had better shoot them " in the head" ( or behind the ear) or get reamed out deluxe. I was glad when they outlawed dogs ( I was 16 then), not because I didn't love it, but I didn't like sharing my deer with 15 people! "Most" of those 15 people usually went back to camp before the drive was over because they "got cold" or were hungover and yet they still expected "their cut". Pure hockey-doo-doo! I hunted by myself from then on. I used a 30-30 and I still had to "shoot them right" or my dad would let me have it! Later in life, I still find myself "trying to save meat", ha. I even "feel bad" when I see a lot of bloodshot. But, I'd rather pile them up in a wad than have them run down into these god awful ravines out here, ha. Now "I'm the boss" and my long deceased dad/mom can fuss to "St. Peter" about how I'm 'wasting good meat", ha

A little late to chime in, but my friend has used a 150 grand slam for more years than I can remember in his 270, even after the redesign of the GS .I can't recall him ever loosing a deer or bear and they're pretty "meat friendly"..I think his main thing was it's effective on game and cheap enough to shoot year round.

I see that 150 GS on sale a lot lately. I wonder if it (new design) got a bad rep by a few and word of mouth put the stink eye on a good bullet? I always thought they were for elk or bear.

preacher":25rgqk1o said:
I see that 150 GS on sale a lot lately. I wonder if it (new design) got a bad rep by a few and word of mouth put the stick eye on a good bullet? I always thought they were for elk or bear.

That happens a lot in the bullet world. Just take the SST and BT as examples of bullets that have an unfounded bad rep. Not sure if they are more designed for the bigger critters or not, and I've never fired one into an animal. But from what I've seen they perform great on whitetail.

My friend's son shot two black bears within 30 seconds (legal here since you can take 2 per year) with the 150 gr G.S. bullets. They were quite happy with the performance on the bears and it was accurate as well. I'll have to give them a whirl in my 270 one day since I have no experience with them in that round.

I really loved the 165, 180 and 200 gr 30 cal G.S. bullets before they changed them, when they switched to the one piece core I had a 165 slip it's core in a bullet test with a 300 WSM so I stopped using them. Since it happened near the end of it's penetration it probably would have been just fine on most game. The 6.5 mm and smaller always were a one piece core and have a great reputation. I'm pleased to see Speer offering the 140 gr 6.5 again which is an excellent bullet, we have taken a bunch of deer and bear with them over the years.

You guys have talked me into using those 150 gr 270 this year and see how well they do :)

You can reduce meat loss by three methods- slow the bullet down, use a tougher bullet, and stay out of heavy bones and shoulders. Or some combo of all three.

If shots are under 100 there's no need for 3100fps 130gr loads... use a tough bullet over H4895 70% charges and you're all set.

A plain ol tough bullet that opens easily at first isn’t too hard on meat. AccuBond, TTSX, Partitions, etc will make a old blood trail as well.

gerry":23rf38u7 said:
My friend's son shot two black bears within 30 seconds (legal here since you can take 2 per year) with the 150 gr G.S. bullets. They were quite happy with the performance on the bears and it was accurate as well. I'll have to give them a whirl in my 270 one day since I have no experience with them in that round.

I really loved the 165, 180 and 200 gr 30 cal G.S. bullets before they changed them, when they switched to the one piece core I had a 165 slip it's core in a bullet test with a 300 WSM so I stopped using them. Since it happened near the end of it's penetration it probably would have been just fine on most game. The 6.5 mm and smaller always were a one piece core and have a great reputation. I'm pleased to see Speer offering the 140 gr 6.5 again which is an excellent bullet, we have taken a bunch of deer and bear with them over the years.

You guys have talked me into using those 150 gr 270 this year and see how well they do :)
>>Gerry. what was the vel. of the 165 in the 300WSM?

It was 3050 fps into water jugs, it is a tough test but it should have done better in my opinion. That was a long time ago now and they may have toughened them up since then in all fairness.

hodgeman":1unqrktk said:
You can reduce meat loss by three methods- slow the bullet down, use a tougher bullet, and stay out of heavy bones and shoulders. Or some combo of all three.

If shots are under 100 there's no need for 3100fps 130gr loads... use a tough bullet over H4895 70% charges and you're all set.

Late to the table here but agree 100% with the above statement. And on whitetail if impact speeds are kept below say 2900 you don't even need a tough bullet to accomplish both quick kills and minimal meat loss on behind the shoulder shots. Standard none fragmenting but easily expanding cup and core bullets.

85 and 87 gr 6mm bullets, 150 gr standard cup and core 30 cal bullets, all with MV at or below 2900 at woods ranges, and impact velocities probably between 2750-2850. resulted in some deer being anchored where they were shot, to some going 6-10 steps, and some running maybe 60 yds, and no bloodshot or meat loss to speak of.

Shoulder shots it's hard to get away from meat loss. I've killed deer with 6mm 100gr corelokts which is a fairly tough bullet. In a 18" barrel starting out SLOW. Results varied, but overall still had plenty of bloodshot and ruined meat on shoulder shots.

Can always learn new things but my take based on my experience.

That 6mm Remington with 100gr Corlokts was real popular in the part of East Tx I'm originally from.

Back