Midway factory seconds .458 bullets

michsteve

Handloader
Aug 20, 2020

I bought 3 of these a few days ago to see what they would look like. I knew it was likely Hornady 350 grain bullets. Now they put them on sale and I grabbed more since the order came in and I was able to check them out.

Those midway blems are always going to be Hornady or Sierra 2nds. I've purchased several boxes over the years in 224 , 6.5, and 7mm. Most of the time I can't

find a reason to why they were sold as 2nds. Occasionally I'll find some tarnish, and onltwo handful of times I've found some polymer tips missing. On the lead core bullets they sell as 2nds there might be a lead sprue connected to the tip, but I just cut them off with wire cutters and used those for fouling loads.

At any rate, like you I'll keep buying the midway blems / 2nds because 99% of the time they're just the same bullet as the 1st quality. Those blems kill just as good too

I still have around 500 of "Bonded Blemished" bullets, I bought 4 or 5 years ago. They are definitely Hornady Interbonds. Other than having a grey tip instead of red, I can't see a difference. And they were way cheaper than unblemished.

I bought 3 of these a few days ago to see what they would look like. I knew it was likely Hornady 350 grain bullets. Now they put them on sale and I grabbed more since the order came in and I was able to check them out.

That's a pretty good deal. But if you want some Hornady factory 1st bullets for plinking or hunting here is another good deal

That's a pretty good deal. But if you want some Hornady factory 1st bullets for plinking or hunting here is another good deal

I've got a couple thousand of the Ballistic Silvertips so I never need 300 grain bullets ever again. SPS was selling them pretty cheap a few years back and I was getting those sales coupons I paid around $15 for 50 at the time. Now they want $50 for them.

I ordered some of those myself. Nice to see components becoming available again.

Guy
Lucky you grabbed some they are sold out and who knows when they will ever get them again. There is a product review from one guy 7 years ago so they may not show up very often.

I've got a couple thousand of the Ballistic Silvertips so I never need 300 grain bullets ever again. SPS was selling them pretty cheap a few years back and I was getting those sales coupons I paid around $15 for 50 at the time. Now they want $50 for them.
I bought a bunch of them from SPS at $11 a bag. If I only knew then what I know now I should have bought a ton of them. They shot well in the 460 Wby at a modest 3100.
0A0F7739-4E7B-4B3C-B5A9-1B3162EE0F94.jpeg
Next to a 500gr Part.

Back