millet rings

honkeetonkin

Handloader
Mar 8, 2006
Does anybody use these? I put a set on .260 encore barrel and could never get any accuracy out of it, so I replaced them with TC's duoring setup and noticed slight dents around the scope body but it still did not shoot. So I replaced the scope and I'm back in buisness and it shoots wonderfully. I think I trashed the scope with the rings. Any thoughts?

If you used their Weaver type rings, then I believed you might have damaged the scope. The reason being, the Weaver type has windage adjustment both on the forward and rear rings. Chances are that the front and rear ring didn't line up when you tightened the individual screws. The proper way to mount the Millet ring is to used a solid round bar, aluminum or stainless, the same diameter as the scope youre going to use and secure the ring to the base. When that is done. you then remove the bar and install the scope.

I have used their dovetail style rings, and like them except for the hex screws. I have not had issues with them yet, as I got them tight, but they are a bit finicky as to tightening. I did follow the instructions pretty thoroughly, and used some sandpaper to take the edges off of them at the joints and front and back of the ring. I also use a rod, although what I use is a 1" oak dowel, to twist in the front ring, then to line up the rear, and to 'true' them with emery paper around the dowel. This method of poor-man's lapping has worked well for me so far when I have used it. The key, I believe, is to get rid of the sharp edges and be careful putting things together.

I have millet rings on my tikka I found that the stainless were not as strong as the cromoly . I switched scopes and twisted the srew head off one and spun the treads on the other other than that the cromoly are great

Back