Minox 2x10

I have not had as good of luck with the Minox....had two, the first was a 2-10 and the eye relief was over 5" (as in almost 6") and it had a very 'touchy' eyebox. I contacted Doug who gave me a direct # to Minox customer service and told me to give them a call and see what they would do for me. I called Minox and talked with a service tech, and he said they advertise greater than 4" eye relief. The tech said that the 3-15 had a touch less eye relief and that there was some variation.

The Minox rep hand picked me the shortest eye relief 3-15 he could find and swapped it out for my 2-10....I asked what the difference in price was and paid it (the rep was not gonna charge me the diff). They sent a UPS label with the new scope to send the old one back.

The 3-15 showed up and it still had just over 5" of eye relief, and the same finicky eye box, and very mushy adjustments.

The glass is very good, and the customer service is the best I have ever had.....but the loooong eye relief just didn't work for me.

Minox sent me the new scope before I sent the old one back, which I really appreciated. Maybe I just got a couple bad ones....YMMV

DD

I have a resolution chart in my yard and my ZA-3 getting a side-by-side to my Conquest and VX7. More to come...

Scotty, do you still have this scope on your .338? How many round do you have through it? How's it holding up?

BK":29y53yb7 said:
Scotty, do you still have this scope on your .338? How many round do you have through it? How's it holding up?

What he said and more importantly to me how is the tracking for LR shooting?

BK":32pf88eu said:

I sure do fellers. Right now, if I had to vote for my favorite scope, this would be the one. I have the 2-10 BDC on the 338WM, 3x9 #4 on the Whelen, a 3-9 BDC on my son's 7x57 and wouldn't change a single thing.

The 2-10 on the 338 and the 3x9 on the Whelen worked very well out to 600 for me. I shot a few times at 600, dialed back down to 300 and shot. Results were predictable and repeatable moving out and back in. Neither of those rifles are bench rifles by a long stretch, but the scope works excellent. The Minox's can be zeroed on the turret pretty easily really giving a guy a quick reference to how many clicks he needs to move. It is easy math for me. I like em. They aren't a NF but the dialing seems better with the Minox's than my VxIII's or 3's and the zero is alot easier to see when you are sitting behind the gun.

Since others have questions as well, I noticed that the paralax adjustment is at 100 yards on non AO scopes how have you found accuracy at longer ranges? Still trying to decide which scope for the new 35 Whelen the Minox 3-9X40 and 2-10X40 look pretty good. I also woder how do you like the BDC reticle, is it too busy, too hard to see etc.

gerry":3asqynn9 said:
Since others have questions as well, I noticed that the paralax adjustment is at 100 yards on non AO scopes how have you found accuracy at longer ranges? Still trying to decide which scope for the new 35 Whelen the Minox 3-9X40 and 2-10X40 look pretty good. I also woder how do you like the BDC reticle, is it too busy, too hard to see etc.

Gerry, I think they adjusted really easily for parallax. Again, more so than my Leupolds.. My accuracy at long range seems very good. Like I said, I shot at 600 with the 2-10 (338WM) and 3x9 (35 Whelen #4) and the targets were very clear even with alot of mirage kicking.

As for the BDC, I like it alot for the BDC reticles available. It is very simple with only 2 hashes below the main cross hair which to me aids in shooting out to 500 which is probably as far as I would shoot using a BDC without dialing.

I am really thinking about getting another 2-10 BDC for the 300. I wanted a Zeiss, but you cannot get any kind of turret other than a target turret on a 4.5x14 in the Conquests. I don't really want a 4.5x14 on a Featherweight, so I am quickly coming back around to another Minox.

If they offered a danged AO on the 3x15 Minox I would put one of those on my 264.. Right now, I can't see how you could go wrong with the Minox's. I actually prefer the longer eye relief they do have as some of my rifles have some push and I don't enjoy being bumped by them. The extra eye relief allow me to mount my scopes far enough forward that there is no way to get smashed in my brain housing group..

I do like the #4 reticle on the 3x9 though. With the ability to dial if needed it allows me to shoot further with the Whelen than I would probably ever hunt with it..

SJB358":1s1c058s said:
If they offered a danged AO on the 3x15 Minox I would put one of those on my 264..

I totally agree with this. I don't like 50mm objective lenses on sporters. I'd probably have three or more 3-15x42 SF if they made them.

I'd like to give the #4 a try. I also have the BDC on my 3-9x40 on my Remington '06 and I like it a bunch.

Scotty, you were able to dial the 3-9X40 on your Whelen? I do like how the #4 reticle looks but want some way of accurately shooting farther out if neccessary.

I put one of these on my 280 AI. I set it up for my wife to shoot. For me to shoot it I have to have my head pretty far back. They do have a mile of eye relief. I played with it and the 140 Bts. I had a 300 yard zero, dialed up to 400, hit, dialed up to 600, Missed (first time out to 600 with that load, corrected, hit, back to 400, hit, back to 300, hit within an inch of the first one. They track very well, but the clicks are not as noticable as I would like.

I have noticed that they are fairly picky about eye position. They are pretty dang clear though. They seem to have a very large field of view. Sometimes I have a hard time picking out critters through it. It just seems different from most of the other Luepold scopes I use. I'm pretty sure that most of my problems with this scope would be solved by setting this gun up to fit me. But as on now I think it is going to stay set up for the wifey. At leasst until I can find her another good 7-08 of her own :lol:

jmad_81":wftgnmpb said:
I put one of these on my 280 AI. I set it up for my wife to shoot. For me to shoot it I have to have my head pretty far back. They do have a mile of eye relief. I played with it and the 140 Bts. I had a 300 yard zero, dialed up to 400, hit, dialed up to 600, Missed (first time out to 600 with that load, corrected, hit, back to 400, hit, back to 300, hit within an inch of the first one. They track very well, but the clicks are not as noticable as I would like.

I have noticed that they are fairly picky about eye position. They are pretty dang clear though. They seem to have a very large field of view. Sometimes I have a hard time picking out critters through it. It just seems different from most of the other Luepold scopes I use. I'm pretty sure that most of my problems with this scope would be solved by setting this gun up to fit me. But as on now I think it is going to stay set up for the wifey. At leasst until I can find her another good 7-08 of her own :lol:

Jake and Brian are right, they do not positively click like some of the really purpose built dialing scopes. For me, I could really car less, I turn it to the number and shoot. The clicks aren't hard.

I just look at the calc, it says I need 18 clicks, I turn it to 4 + 2 and let it rip. It works, when I am done, I move it back to zero. So far, I haven't found any problems with it like that. The VX3's aren't really the greatest either, all they have for a return to zero is a sliding washer thing with a V cut into it. Not really the surest settings I have seen, they work as well, but I would take the Minox over the VX's anyday. Plus, they are clearer glass..

Gerry, yup, you can dial them.. Long answer to a short question.

I have owned about 6 VX-II's of the newer type in the past 20 years (since 1992) and have almost never even had one that would even form a box willingly, certainly not rectangularly. The best have been maybe a non-parallelogram (quadrahedron?) sometimes. More commonly an elipse. The one that I have now fits and stitches through about (3) groups before the dials arrive at where I put them and it has just been rebuilt last year. As a result, I set them and forget them! Just my $.02 of course. That is why I only have one of them still.

Maybe the newer VX2 has solved some of this issue?

Thanks Scotty, it's great that we can ask each other questions about different stuff. The Minox scopes seem to be really good quality.

Woodycreek":39h4gz3l said:
Minox would hit a home run if they put the side focus on the 3-15 and some type of CDS or turrets.

Without a doubt. Even as they are, they work well for me. If I am taking a longer shot where I am dialing up, it really doesn't take much to spin the caps off, in the grand scheme of things. The Side Focus on the 3x15 would be KEY though.

Yeah Gerry, it is great to have you all to bounce ideas off of. Makes the buying part a little easier knowing they work before you plunk down the money. I like the Minox's so far. They are clear and work well.

The Minox 3-15x40 is side focus for paralllax?

Minox also has chanaged their site and is showing a gcoming summer relase for the "ZE-i" scope with a fiber optic dot in the reticle center and a 30mm main tube with 5x magnification across the board in four models. No price given.

Oldtrader3":35kyxdsk said:
The Minox 3-15x40 is side focus for paralllax?

Minox also has chanaged their site and is showing a gcoming summer relase for the "ZE-i" scope with a fiber optic dot in the reticle center and a 30mm main tube with 5x magnification across the board in four models. No price given.

Oh man! If that is true Charlie, I am all over it! That sounds like THE SCOPE I would like to have on a few of my rifles.

The current Z5 3x15-40mm does not have a SF for parallax. That is the only thing stopping me from having about three more of them!

I just looked and the Z5I's are kinda out. 56mm Objs for the 2-10 and 3-15's... Kind of a bummer, BUT that 1-5 with the illuminated reticle MIGHT have a great chance for finding its way on my 45-70! That would be sweet! Long eye relief, #4 lit reticle, 30mm tube and a 24mm obj.. I think it would be perfect! It might be a long Summer waiting on that scope.

I am still pretty content with the 2-10 and a #4. That is a nice set up. Perfect for me really. I am having trouble messing with much else than Minox to be honest. Good to see them step up their game as well with the lit reticles. I think they are great ideas.

I wanna see a few pics of Dubyam's 4-20. That could be a nice one for the 264 I think?

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=6145&L=1

You are correct that the 1-4X24 would be perfect on any of my lever guns.

Back