Minox 2x10

Scotty, I can understand where you are coming from on objective lenses sizes. I do not sit in a house on stilts in a field and hunt with a machine rest for 40 pound Roe deer in the pitch dark at 890 yards. My style is more like the Beloit's for white tail than the German's style. For mule deer, it is very slow, still glassing and mountain hunting. I have never been in a blind except for ducks and geese in 60+ years.

I have two 50mm German objective scopes and they fortunately for me fit fine into the TPS medium rings and base sets. This saves me .100 inch mounting over bore height and makes it ok because both rifles are magnums and have higher combs and I get good cheek weld and fine accuracy. They are great optics and I appreciate that. However, I have resisted buying any 56mm objective scopes despite their fine performance in dim light, as just not being my particular cup of coffee. My favorite all around objective is 42mm and I live with that limitation of light and field. This especially because I can not legally hunt in the dark for ungulates anyway.

Oldtrader3":25qvhnf0 said:
Scotty, I can understand where you are coming from on objective lenses sizes. I do not sit in a house on stilts in a field and hunt with a machine rest for 40 pound Roe deer in the pitch dark at 890 yards. My style is more like the Beloit's for white tail than the German's style. For mule deer, it is very slow, still glassing and mountain hunting. I have never been in a blind except for ducks and geese in 60+ years.

I have two 50mm German objective scopes and they fortunately for me fit fine into the TPS medium rings and base sets. This saves me .100 inch mounting over bore height and makes it ok because both rifles are magnums and have higher combs and I get good cheek weld and fine accuracy. They are great optics and I appreciate that. However, I have resisted buying any 56mm objective scopes despite their fine performance in dim light, as just not being my particular cup of coffee. My favorite all around objective is 42mm and I live with that limitation of light and field. This especially because I can not legally hunt in the dark for ungulates anyway.

I just might try the 50mm on my 264 Charlie. It has the space I think to clear it since it has the rail on it. I don't mind it too much, and on that Sporter, I don't think it would be too outta place. They have a 3-15 and a 4-20 with #4 reticles. That would be the ultimate for me, as I could dial for longer shooting at the range, but have that excellent number 4 in the woods. Just a personal glitch, but I like it. Your rifles with 50's look great with the mounts.

If you want, I can swing through and handle that 340 this year for elk in Idaho.. You know, just to make sure it is good for when you find the hunt you wanna go on! :twisted:

Your right Mike, that 1-5 would be pretty nice. I am not sure I could resist it should I see it go on sale at Cameraland. That is exactly what I have been looking for.

You would be welcome to borrow it as long as I don't have to ship it but I am 300 miles one way from Sand Point, Idaho! I will even give you a box of 225 Partition ammo but at a cost to you: a smallish (two people sized) rump roast for the effort). My wife truly loves elk meat!

Oldtrader3":uzijfggi said:
You would be welcome to borrow it as long as I don't have to ship it but I am 300 miles one way from Sand Point, Idaho! I will even give you a box of 225 Partition ammo but at a cost to you: a smallish (two people sized) rump roast for the effort). My wife truly loves elk meat!

Oh man! I have done way more for much less Charlie! That 340 is a stinger for sure! I would be terrified of marring your stock on that rifle. Way too nice for the way I run the woods! I do appreciate it though.. That is one Weatherby I could certainly get behind!

SJB358":1k859ixd said:
I wanna see a few pics of Dubyam's 4-20. That could be a nice one for the 264 I think?

Scotty, I had a minute yesterday where I needed some therapy (because I'm working on writing a very painful check to the feds later today...) so I stripped the old Pentax off my 270Wby and attempted to mount the Minox in my medium rings. I can tell you I am about .020" from being able to mount it, dadgummit! I guess I'll be ordering some high rings here shortly (after I get out of hock from this check later today...) and then I can post some pictures. I think I'm going with Talley aluminum 1pc rings/bases like I have on my Colt Light Rifle, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll try to get some pics up and a comparison between it and the Conquest 4.5-14x44 I have on my 300 as soon as I am able. With the unexpected size of this check, it could be a little while.

Stupid government. If they'd stick to what they should be doing (Constitutionally) I could likely keep most of this check for myself!

dubyam":3hkmf3xj said:
SJB358":3hkmf3xj said:
I wanna see a few pics of Dubyam's 4-20. That could be a nice one for the 264 I think?

Scotty, I had a minute yesterday where I needed some therapy (because I'm working on writing a very painful check to the feds later today...) so I stripped the old Pentax off my 270Wby and attempted to mount the Minox in my medium rings. I can tell you I am about .020" from being able to mount it, dadgummit! I guess I'll be ordering some high rings here shortly (after I get out of hock from this check later today...) and then I can post some pictures. I think I'm going with Talley aluminum 1pc rings/bases like I have on my Colt Light Rifle, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll try to get some pics up and a comparison between it and the Conquest 4.5-14x44 I have on my 300 as soon as I am able. With the unexpected size of this check, it could be a little while.

Stupid government. If they'd stick to what they should be doing (Constitutionally) I could likely keep most of this check for myself!

Thanks buddy! Sorry to hear about the Feds.

I have a Picatinny rail 20 MOA on the 264 right now. I have at least a 1/4" or maybe a touch more with the 40mm scope on there now in Leupold Lows, so I think I might be close. If not, I know mediums will work for sure. I am really looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

Oldtrader3":1inqj1ve said:
Ok, but you would have liked Scotty, then you would have to have one as I did!

I know I would have, that is the issue Charlie! I like the 340 alot. Probably my favorite next to the 338 Lapua.

I like my .340 a lot. Of course I waited nearly 50 years to finally buy one. I can crank out loads that are within 100 fps of the Lapua but the brass quality is not as good. I also was curious after 60 years of mental hype dip, if the Mark V was worth it. I used to work at Weiser Lock and was only 5 blocks from the Weatherby South Gate CA complex and store. Plus, I knew a couple of their Marketing guys so, had to doubly be exposed to the Hype!

I was offered a Lapua .338 (a Remington 700 varient) in a really good tade. I think the guy had shot it with no brake and was afraid of it, given away by his sycopated eye rolling each time he said "Lapua". I am perfectly contented with the .340 and it is truly a <MOA rifle to 300 yards. This Lapua (Remington) had a 28 barrel with a brake added and I have scoliosis of the neck vertebrae which means that I am losing height faster than a Washington slug in a tanning bed! I would have needed to carry this Lapua with many rocks stuck in my back pocket to counter-balance its length!

Back