Minox ZA-5 HD

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Has anyone had a chance to look at these? Or compare to a Zeiss HD5? I see they finally put a parallax adjustment on their 15 power scope with a #4 might be the next scope I get.

Not a chance for the ZA5. They could put 40 adjustment knobs on the Minox and it will still be a Minox. Not a Leupold either!

The probability of getting an HD5 in a Minox body is not to be, nor is it possible, so do not get your hopes up! I had a good long deal of issues with mine.

They are already available, Charlie. It's the new iteration of Mind's ZA5 line. I have not handled one, only seen pix online.

We had the original ZA5 it was not a bad scope but my Son needed a illuminated reticle so we picked up the VX-R and my Son has stated that the Leupold is at least a step above.
If I was going to start again I would be going Leupold or the new Zeiss HD5 that is only cause I can't afford the new Leica or VX-6 :evil:.

Blessings,
Dan

My brother has a Mk4 on his AR-10 but to me optically for the price it is nowhere even close to a Swaro and is in the the range optically of my Minox and Conquests but for the money I would expect better optical components. So I was thinking if a guy can pick one up for $450 it would be a steal. The HD5 is better than my Conquests which I expect for the price but I'm disappointed that Zeiss didn't keep the #4. That's why I'm interested in the Minox as I know their prior model is very comparable to the old Conquest in my eye.

If you want it, I will sell you my Minox ZA5 for $200 to your door with BDC reticle. I paid $508 for it 4 years ago. If you can prove to me that it is comparable in any substantive way to my new #4 reticle, Conquest, 3.5-10x44, scope which I paid $480 for, I will give you the Minox for free. I won't sell or give you the Conquest because I like the #4 reticle. :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Charlie I have the same Minox with a #4 and a pair of Conquests of the 4.5-14 X44 variety with a #4. Since I got the Conquest I haven't been able to do a test at dusk. But from what I've done the Conquest is compareable or better. I do like the larger eye relief on the Minox. Something I should try to remedy on my next days off.

I have to be sure about which generation scopes with these Conquests and Minox scopes lately. However the Conquests in the newer, Sub 50mm objectives are very clear now. My 3.5-10x44 Conquest MC is a much better scope than the Minox 2-10x40 ZA5 comparing the older Minox against the newer Conquest The Conquest is much more clear and the Conquest does not have the issue with the 4.0 exit pupil and loss of field in last or first light versus the Conquest with larger 4.4 exit pupil.

That is why I offered the scope as a gift. There is enough difference between Minox and better Conquest performance that I am not in any danger of losing! :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to seeing the ZA5 HD's. They have larger eye pieces on them, along with more field of view and great glass. I have 3 of the 2-10's and 3 of the 3x9's and my biggest complaint was the tight eye box. Now they have opened them up to Zeiss sized eye boxes, I think they would fair much better. I had pretty good luck, only having one sent back in, but they took care of me, and let me know, over a year ago, they knew of the issues with their older ZA5's. They also redesigned the turrets which should be a great improving point too.

If you can find them, check them out. I am all ears to see any difference. The parallax adjustment is something I was hoping would come around as well. Seems like they listened to their customers. I do like their glass they use. Seems real clear and their #4 is real nice as well.

Scotty, that may very well be. There were not a lot of complaints about the older model Minox scopes with 50mm objectives. That will bring them back up to 5mm eye box at least. I have mine on a Savage .22 Mag and blew the brains out of a shed rat last week offhand at 20 yards. The scope works when conditions are right. Mine has some material (fungus?) growing on the objective lens, outside surface. I am having a heck of a time getting it off. I don't want to damage it. :mrgreen:

Well Charlie I gotta admit to this your right. But they are very close. Tonight I tested my Minox and Zeiss Conquest side by side the ZA5 2-10X42 and the Conquest MC 4.5-14X44 SF both with #4's. I have a post at 250 yards I was using as a comparison both scopes set at 10X. The Minox has a smaller eyebox more eye relief and a wider finer reticle than the Zeiss. It was overcast and the sunset was at approx 1730 I could no longer pick the post out in the Minox at 1757 in the Zeiss I lost it at 1804. Even with the larger eyebox on the Zeiss there is some distortion along the edges the thicker reticle is nice for last light. In fact if I would've had ammo with me I would tested the 338 as a rabbit gun. After putting things up I pulled the 280AI with the Z6 out about 15 minutes later and standing on my front step looking at the same post at 350 yards it was brighter than with the other two when I started. Very impressive.

Jake, following up with the Z6 Swarovski, a hundred yards further out and 15 minutes later does kind of lead you to a final, more realistic perspective on scopes and their ability to resolve an image in low and lower, light at dusk and long range.

Well, I took the next big RADD step to terminal insanity tonight and ordered a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope with BDC reticle on final clearance sale from EuroOptics. I guess that I have my price just like everyone else? This is the last scope that I should need to spec me out well within the number of guns that I own with scopes that are well suited for their intended use.

One final rationalization of a few older scopes and done!

Oldtrader3":1lypdond said:
Jake, following up with the Z6 Swarovski, a hundred yards further out and 15 minutes later does kind of lead you to a final, more realistic perspective on scopes and their ability to resolve an image in low and lower, light at dusk and long range.

Well, I took the next big RADD step to terminal insanity tonight and ordered a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 BDC scope with BDC reticle on final clearance sale from EuroOptics. I guess that I have my price just like everyone else? This is the last scope that I should need to spec me out well within the number of guns that I own with scopes that are well suited for their intended use.

I have two of these scopes Charlie. You won't be disappointed. I do enjoy mine.

Dr. Mike, clearance sales like this do not come along all that often and I usually miss them. Being able to buy a new 2.5-10x42 Leica scope for a little over $1000 is not a deal that I am going to pass up most days. I am looking forward to trying this scope out. The last Leica scope that I looked through was one that was made for Leica by Leupold back in the early 1990's.

I am predisposed to liking this scope and have a pair of Leica binoculars which I like a lot. This should take care of me as far as scopes are concerned, at least for awhile.

I have three of the ER scopes, Charlie, and had one of the Leupold-made Leicas. I also have a GeoVid and another on order. I do like Leica optics; they have not let me down.

Congrats Charlie. I am very much looking forward to your review of the Leica. Can't beat that price.

Oldtrader3":28vrj7wh said:
Well, I took the next big RADD step to terminal insanity tonight and ordered a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope with BDC reticle on final clearance sale from EuroOptics. I guess that I have my price just like everyone else? This is the last scope that I should need to spec me out well within the number of guns that I own with scopes that are well suited for their intended use.

That's funny -- I did the same thing with the drop in Leica pricing and ordered their 3.5-14x42 w/ IBS reticle and target turret. Will have to wait on the next scope purchase to try the Meopta.

I got the target turret on my Leica scope as well, just for elevation though. I thought about the 3.5-14x42 model Leica but have (3) Zeiss' and a Leupold in 3-15x42, 5-15x42 and 4.5-14x40AO already. Whereas I only have (3) 3.5-10x44 or 50 in Kahles and Zeiss Conquest's. I am pretty happy about this purchase.

See the influence that this site has on one, Maverick. Enabler's all and to the end!

Oldtrader3":1tjmjt8d said:
See the influence that this site has on one, Maverick. Enabler's all and to the end!

Not much question in my mind as to where to go if I need a little encouragement about glass... I started my research needing one scope, recently sold my wife on the concept of two, and am now working on my reasoning/justification/sales pitch for three. Needless to say, none of you should probably be expecting any Christmas cards from my wife this year...

maverick2":7ony8kss said:
Oldtrader3":7ony8kss said:

Not much question in my mind as to where to go if I need a little encouragement about glass... I started my research needing one scope, recently sold my wife...

Wow! That is dedication to a new scope! :shock:

Just yankin' your chain. That Charlie, he's a bad one for pushing you into high end glass. :grin:

Back