Minute of Elephant at 20 Yards!

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I shot the 460 Weatherby today. I had four loads to work with, all built around 450 grain TSX bullets. IMR4320 didn't give what I wanted, and I discarded the data. RL15 was acceptable at 1.45 inches. H4350 gave me a 1.35 inch group. And IMR4350 broke my heart. Two shots were touching after the first from a cold barrel was high. Photos of the groups follow:

100.5 grains of RL15:

460WBY1005RL15.jpg

113 grains of H4350:

460WBY113H4350.jpg

113 grains of IMR4350:

460WBY113IMR4350.jpg

I figure this is about minute of elephant at 20 yards. Actually, it shot quite well, I thought. With a little work, I'm certain I could tame the groups to an inch or less, but I need more than twelve pieces of brass.

The beast on the bench:

460Wby1.jpg

I was grateful for the Lead Sled today. I had about 35 pounds of sand bags on it, and it still managed to move the sled about four inches each shot. One thing we do not have at this range is a shooting bench that allows one to stand when torching off heavy hitters.

Seriously, the rifle shoots quite well. It is more than adequate to take a cape buffalo at reasonable distance. It is a handful, however. I don't relish sitting at the bench with this rifle for long periods of time.

Mike, that is great shooting for such a monster of a round! Glad your Lead Sled is working as designed! Scotty

I'm likely to be asked to develop several loads for this rifle. I'll take lead pellets next time. It does require some weight to keep it on the table. It wouldn't be bad from a standing position, but I don't enjoy this from the bench.

Yeah, there is no need to abuse yourself like that! Might put you out of commission for moose hunting. There isn't any rifle worth that! Scotty

Mike,

Nice shooting!The 460 Wby is a monster for sure, on both ends. :lol:

JD338

Jim,

It has a right smart punch to it on the rear end, to be certain. The gunsmiths are mulling over having me do load development. If that is their conclusion, I'll see about getting some more brass.

DrMike

How can you get those great groups with your eyes closed and teeth clenched. I think that would slow down my load development. The first two are great groups. A 1/2 gr up or down could make a major difference. My hat is off to you I will volunteer for load development for the 22's and you continue to work on the 40's and up. Great shooting!!!

Hi DrMike,
First. Wow! The client you are working up loads for has to be very happy with your work.

I purchased the Lead Sled for load workups with my 338 Win Mag. I ordered the wrong one and got the same model you have in your pics but actually wanted the Lead Sled that hosted the barbell weights. I did not know this till it arrived so I improvised.

1. I removed the weight tray, went out to the garage, slid as much of the curved side (closest to the butt holder) under the tire and "evenly" bent the curved lip as much as possible to flatten the tray on only the one side. Took all of 30 seconds.

2. Using a regular hammer and a small piece of 4x4 block of wood (a wood shop bench table would have been nice but I do not have one), I slowly tapped the flattened tray side to complete a very nicely flat and smooth lip on this one side. (Aside from a few pieces of the green paint that flecked off this flattened side looks great. This took all of 1 1/2 minutes maybe.

3. Reattached the tray back to the Lead Sled frame.

4. Went to home depot and purchased 2 sets of 6 ft velcro straps for $5.99 each.

5. Cut a piece of 1 3/4 dowel" from an old mop handle (measure height distance from tray to bottom of Lead Sled support bar for exact length of dowel plug). (mine happened to be hollow metal but a wood piece will work fine.

6. I can then lay 2 25# barbell weights on the tray (if you dont have these, go buy some very cheap ones or better yet borrow from a friend), insert the 1 3/4" dowel plug in the barbell holes to assist in holding the two plates evenly together, and then criss-cross two of the velcro straps around the plates and then for a final support, cross one other velcro strap across the weights.

I tested this with over 60 rounds and it worked flawlessly and also saved me a few dollars on getting the Lead Sled model that holds barbell weights. In addition, you can then lay one or two bags of lead on each side of the barbells if desired for additional weight. I felt approximately 7-10% of the recoil. That was it! If anyone has any questions send me a PM and we can chat on the phone. :):) Attached some pics for reference.

The weights are held literally rock solid for the entire shooting time.

ModifiedLeadSled.jpg

ModifiedLeadSled3.jpg

Latest167.jpg

[/img]

Stevesdl,

That is a neat set-up you made. For heavy hitters, it would work very well indeed. I may look into this. Actually, this is the second time in three years that I've used this Lead Sled. I'm actually good shooting up through the 416 Rigby (up to this point). Nevertheless, if I had to do much work this this particular rifle, I'd definitely make some changes.

Consequently, the customer may not be happy at this point as he is insistent that the rifle should produce MOA at 100 yards. I'll hear in the next couple of days about what the shop intends to do on the next step. As I said, if it is extensive load development, someone will need to buy brass (which must be pricey) to give me enough to work with.

Thanks for the tip.

Dr.Mike,
FWIW, I use 2 - 25# bags of lead shot while shooting my 375RUM. The sled still moves a little, but not much recoil is felt. I imagine 3 bags of shot would do it for that monster.

Rich,

I imagine you are correct. I will use lead shot next time. Although, Stevesdl has a good idea. I may look into that. For the short term, however, I'll use the lead shot, and it will likely be three bags.

Doc that sounds like my kind of fun. I have a .460 Weatheryby to work with in the near future. I am trying to limit shooting of the big beasts at the moment. Moderation. A friend of mine has permanent damage to his shoulders from thousands of rounds of big stuff. I am just starting to feel it. I figure now is the time to limit sessions or get a lead sled with enough weight on it.

Have you ever shot the modern level loads in your .416 Rigby? I tried it. 400grs at 2800fps out of my #1 with no problems. Recoil seems to go up 50% over the same bullets at 2400. A buddy of mine told me to try the lead sled. We put one 25# bag of shot on it. Big mistake. The whole thing landed in my lap, I slid of the seat and had to catch the rifle. Ouch. reflex264

I told a friend today that I didn't consider the 416 Rigby to be overly much to handle from the bench, especially compared to the 460 Wby. Make no mistake, however, all of these are a handful. They have a specific purpose, and it is not to prove how macho one is or to compete at the bench for extended sessions. I think Stevesdl concept for weight is worth looking at.

I agree. That is simple and effective. I had thought about pouring a monolithic ingot around 60-70 lbs and bolting it on but this looks prestty simple. reflex264

Back