Modding the minnow trap

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I was having issues catching decent size fathead minnows. My suspicion was The bread/dog food was floating to the top and the little ones was picking it clean from the outside. I tied some para cord to both halves in an X shape. Then I put the bait in some stretchy finger gauze and sandwiched between the para cord X’s. Now the bait stayed dead in the center. I tossed it out for a few hours and got several decent size minnows.
IMG_1068.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    807.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 11
My grandfather used cattle cubes and my grandmother's old stockings, always thought that was peculiar. Now in retrospect, I suspect that he was thinking a lot like you. He was a farmer and we lived on a river, so I guess he had more time to fish than me and more time to monitor the trap.

Nice fix. I never used a trap though I have looked at them.
My father taught me to make nets for a seine and to attach poles and lead weights to the outside edges which we would walk up stream in a small stream to catch minnows and a dip net in larger streams that were too big to force the minnows into the net.
I still have the seine needles we used to make nets.

Nice fix. I never used a trap though I have looked at them.
My father taught me to make nets for a seine and to attach poles and lead weights to the outside edges which we would walk up stream in a small stream to catch minnows and a dip net in larger streams that were too big to force the minnows into the net.
I still have the seine needles we used to make nets.
one of my favorite memories from my youth is holding the sein in the creek will dad flipped over rocks catching crawdads and hellgrammites and the occasional hellbender would squirt out causing me to head for the creek bank lol

Back