MODEL 70 280 Remington BUILD HAS BEGUN

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
So I picked up a Winchester Model 70 in .270 for my build. I got it for $640.00. It does not look like it has been fired much if at all by looking at the bolt face and the fact that it still had cosmoline in the action.

So I really don't like spending money on myself but I did it!! The ball is rolling now and it will be going to my favorite gunsmith here next week for a new barrel, action trued, pillar and glass bedded, and most likely a new trigger. Okay I just got excited just writing about the darn thing. The trepidation of buying it sort of just flew out the window!! :mrgreen: :grin:

If I get a new trigger instead of just having this one worked on, I wanted to give you guys first crack at the old one should I decide to change it out. Anyone interested??

.270 Winchester barrel> I want to give you fellows first crack at the barrel that will be pulled off of this too! I cannot honestly say how many rounds have gone down it, but it cannot possibly be more than 20 if that at all. I wish the bolt face picture was a bit clearer because there is no marks or wear on it. Proof testing loads are about all it appears have gone down the barrel. So if someone is interested in this barrel let me know and I'll make someone a really good deal even it if it is in the .270!!

David

.280 Remington":3ha85k7h said:
:twisted: Way to fix that rifle David! Even if it is a winchester................... :twisted:
I figured you might like that! :shock: :shock:
You know what I should throw this out there also. I think when I get a scope for it I'm going to use the Talley's with the base and ring all in one unit. This rifle had a set of Leupold bases on it that look like the old Redfield bases where the rings are twisted in. Would someone want those bases. I would just ship them to you. I can throw a picture up if you like.

Oh man David I can't wait to see the finished stick!

I did shed a tear though..... taking a tack driver like a .270 and rebarreling it. Might as well buy a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 and throw a small block in it :) ( just kidding)

Seriously that is a rifle/chambering that I would really like to have some day. Those winchester stocks are very nice and the cheekpieces are very comfortable on the bench and in the field.

What barrel are you going with? What Trigger?

And for 640 you got a heck of a deal on that rifle. Great job!

pre6422hornet":3gafrmtn said:

I did shed a tear though(I was so happy)..... taking a .270, rebarreling it and making it better! Might as well buy a 1970 MOPED and throw a small block in it :)

Seriously that is a rifle/chambering that I would really like to have some day. Those winchester stocks are very nice and the cheekpieces are very comfortable on the bench and in the field.

.Fixed it for you Pat :grin: :grin:

pre6422hornet":170omd49 said:

I did shed a tear though..... taking a tack driver like a .270 and rebarreling it. Might as well buy a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 and throw a small block in it :) ( just kidding) YEP :grin:

Seriously that is a rifle/chambering that I would really like to have some day. Those winchester stocks are very nice and the cheekpieces are very comfortable on the bench and in the field. I like it!!

Not sure on the barrel yet. Going to discuss it with my gunsmith. I haven't pulled this out of the stock yet but I think it's going to be one of the MOA triggers that is in it right now. I'd like to get a newly made version of the old trigger Winchester used for years. It's just a great trigger. I'll discuss that with the smith as well. Maybe he can work magic on the trigger on there already and make it crisp and clean at about 2.5 to 3.0 pounds.

David,

By looking at the pic's, it has the MOA trigger in it. At least it sure looks like it. The older trigger was more circle in appearance, where the MOA is more oval.

And Mike... good try... mopeds are like ........

David, that is great. I do love my 280s, and I know you do as well. Nothing like fixing a .270 so it doesn't need to continue in that state.

DrMike":8jky7xy3 said:
David, that is great. I do love my 280s, and I know you do as well. Nothing like fixing a .270 so it doesn't need to continue in that state.

Oh yeah it needed some fixing all right! Who would shoot one of those darned 270's
Anyway!! I think even Jack O'Connor would not mind too much on changing out the barrel on this thing. :lol: :p

pre6422hornet":1wi6m774 said:
David,

By looking at the pic's, it has the MOA trigger in it. At least it sure looks like it. The older trigger was more circle in appearance, where the MOA is more oval.

And Mike... good try... mopeds are like ........
Do you have much experience with the MOA trigger and how reliable they are and if a person can make them purr like they should?

Very nice David! I'll be watching your progress with your new build. I'm excited for you!

Scott

Hegland wants the scope bases so they are spoken for guys. I think I'm going to have the trigger adjusted and tuned and try it for a while to see if I like it. That still leaves a new barrel in .270 Winchester if someone out there wants it. We'll make a good deal on it for you.
David

I really like the MOA trigger...mine breaks crisp and clean at about 4 lbs after I tweaked it a bit...I know its an enclosed trigger, but that's not the end of the world....looking at drawings of them, the inner workings are simple yet robust.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Glad it is now underway, hope it all comes together nicely for you. I wouldn't be so fast to change the trigger, it may be great just as is. The standard 280 Rem is an excellent choice when loaded to the same pressure as the 280 AI is comes very close to it in performance.

Heck yeah buddy! Don't shoot it until it has an 8 on the barrel. You wouldn't want to be stuck with a great looking, great shooting 270 now would you?

The easiest way to tell about the Model 70 trigger is whether it has the one piece bottom metal. If it has that, it will also have the new MOA trigger. My guess is that it is the Browning model and not the USRAC model.

First off, congratulations! I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger bud. You guys and all this .270 ribbing are too much! Really guys, what's 0.007" among friends? All kidding aside, that does look like one of the new SC guns with the MOA trigger. Don't get me wrong. I love the old trigger and think it's the best one out there, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. My daughter's MOA trigger is nothing short of magnificent. You can really dial the new ones in. That's a great looking rig and I'm looking forward to watching the build as it progresses.
Joe

Bud, Sir Jack did the 270win proud :wink:! I have shot that calibre for over 40 years and have knocked down every big game animal in Saskatchewan except a Caribou and that is because I have had a chance to hunt one yet. I have only used 130gr Nosler partitions or Accubonds out of my 270win and have had 1 shot kills on all the animals at one time or another. I can also say that to date & touch wood (my head) :shock: I have never lost a animal using my 270win!!
My motto is there are so many calibres and to little time :mrgreen:.
PS. I can't wait for this up coming build to be completed with photos and range reports I hope.

Blessings,
Dan

Touche Dan! Thanks for the back up my friend. We had best circle the wagons with this crowd though...

Joe

I like the 270 Win too and am trying hard to get one, the 280 is nice as well. Hard to go wrong with either.

Back