MODEL 70 280 Remington BUILD HAS BEGUN

jmad_81":33c9lyzv said:
Heck yeah buddy! Don't shoot it until it has an 8 on the barrel. You wouldn't want to be stuck with a great looking, great shooting 270 now would you?

I've heard way too many of you guys shooting the donor and then saying oh crap this is really good! :lol: I keep a scope off of it and get it to my gunsmith here real quick and I won't have to worry about that. :oops:

sask boy":3bgqnxlf said:
Bud, Sir Jack did the 270win proud :wink:! I have shot that calibre for over 40 years and have knocked down every big game animal in Saskatchewan except a Caribou and that is because I have had a chance to hunt one yet. I have only used 130gr Nosler partitions or Accubonds out of my 270win and have had 1 shot kills on all the animals at one time or another. I can also say that to date & touch wood (my head) :shock: I have never lost a animal using my 270win!!
My motto is there are so many calibres and to little time :mrgreen:.
PS. I can't wait for this up coming build to be completed with photos and range reports I hope.

Blessings,
Dan

I know how good the .270 is, but I fell for this little bell when I had one before she left me, and I want another one really badly. How about this, you guys still have a few days left to try and talk me into a .280AI as I am still waffling just a bit on that still. Any takers to throw some more sticks at me? :mrgreen: :shock:

280AI:

More bang for your buck (velocity)
Less case stretch/trimming (that is a huge bonus to me as well)

The only real down side that might possibly present itself is it might not feed quite as smooth but otherwise there is really no down side. I'm a magnum guy so I almost always want more.

I am a 280AI convert :mrgreen:. I know a certain Doctor that thinks that 280s are special so now I am going to see if it is true or was he just playing with a flatlander :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":6pxg11br said:
I am a 280AI convert :mrgreen:. I know a certain Doctor that think that the 280s are special so now I am going to see if it is true or was he just playing with a flatlander :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan
No, it's true, they are special!! :shock: :grin:

Man 2 years worth of twisting poking and prodding. That's a pretty nice rifle there David just don't shoot it!! Otherwise you might just find it shoots way to well to touch it. When I bought that 22-250 I just bought it cause the price was right I could have swapped it immediately and doubled my money. Then I shot it and it will never leave shoots way too good to sell. Is it a New Haven or a SC rifle?

David,

Congratulations on the new build project. That M70 is beautiful and will make for a excellent platform to build upon. The trigger set is 2.5 lbs would be perfect.

I had a 280 Rem and it was awesome on WT deer. This rifle became a 280 AI and it is more of a good thing.
As mentioned, case life is excellent and performance is right on the heels of the 7mm Rem Mag. You can load
to the following speeds:
120 gr @ 3400
140 gr @3250
150 gr @ 3100
160 gr @ 3000
168 gr @ 2950
You can always load it down to 280 Rem levels if wanted or load it up. The 150 gr ABLR at 3100 fps is very flat shooting and capable of taking both deer and elk. Accuracy is outstanding, keeping everything under .5 MOA routinely.
Go with a 280 AI and don't look back. I will share all my load data with you so you will have a jump start on your load development. There are a few 280 AI shooters here and jmad_81, EOD diver and efw went with the 280 AI based on my success. ;)

JD338

David, when I bought a new M70 with the MOA trigger a few years ago, I was a bit disappointed with the trigger because I couldn't get the pull weight down below what I judged to be about four pounds. I ordered a trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith and installed it, and now the pull is just nothing short of awesome. In my opinion, the $7 solution just can't be beat.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i170.html

nvbroncrider":1kx6t2x1 said:
Man 2 years worth of twisting poking and prodding. That's a pretty nice rifle there David just don't shoot it!! Otherwise you might just find it shoots way to well to touch it. When I bought that 22-250 I just bought it cause the price was right I could have swapped it immediately and doubled my money. Then I shot it and it will never leave shoots way too good to sell. Is it a New Haven or a SC rifle?
I know, it took me a while! Good things take time I guess. 8)

Thanks for all the help guys.

David,

Don't leave us hanging...........
is it a 280 Rem or a 280 AI? :mrgreen:

JD338

Very nice David. Either a 280 or AI would be real sweet. That rifle should make the perfect platform for you and man, it is pretty, just the way it is.

I really like 270's, but then again, I have about 5 7mm's, so I guess I like them a little too. Just can't beat either.

Chances are, if you put an Ernies the Gunsmith spring in your MOA trigger, you won't change a thing. I added one to my 300WSM and it really made that trigger really nice. I can't see anyone have trouble with the MOA trigger either, I prefer the older one, but the MOA is very well made.

Jim, what twist are you using on your Ackley?

David,

Whether it be a 280 Rem or 280 AI, take a good look at the 150 gr ABLR!
That is one impressive bullet and it kills deer like lighting.
This bullet has a BC of .611. Run a ballistic calculator at 3000-3100 fps and you will see what I am talking about.

JD338

I took JD's advice as well & went with 1-9 as well. It will then look after the 175s :wink:.
JD has been a go too 280AI guy for quite awhile not saying he is old just wise :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

JD338":11qp0ni8 said:
David,

Don't leave us hanging...........
is it a 280 Rem or a 280 AI? :mrgreen:

JD338
Dang it I'm still hanging on the edge 280 or 280 AI? I do think I'll go with 1 - 9 twist since that is what Nosler uses in their 280AI and 7mm's. Winchester and Remington are 1 - 9 1/4 or 1 - 9 1/2.

I know I'm getting excited about the darn thing.

That 150 gr. ABLR would just split the difference between the 140's and the 160's too and offer the best of both worlds. Maybe that is what I'll have to try out first! I know I sure like those Accubonds!

I owe you a favor...let me take this opportunity to maybe repay it...at least partially.

Do the AI...the one and only downside is, as mentioned, it may not feed quite as slick...but with an M70, I really doubt it will be a problem.

In a push feed...may be a bigger deal.

Do the AI...even though a good 30-06 barrel caused me not to build my 280 AI (don't shoot the donor!!!)...I still believe the 280AI truly is the very best round ever designed...No other round that I can think of is better balanced for use in North America, and believe me when I say that I have researched this extensively (before starting my build...the one that stayed a 30-06)

Just my 2 cents and honest from the heart advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have sent at least 50 emails asking (begging) Winchester to make it a factory offering...and got several coy responses but no real decision one way or the other.

Ridgerunner665":3qy7z52n said:
I owe you a favor...let me take this opportunity to maybe repay it...at least partially.

Do the AI...the one and only downside is, as mentioned, it may not feed quite as slick...but with an M70, I really doubt it will be a problem.

In a push feed...may be a bigger deal.

Do the AI...even though a good 30-06 barrel caused me not to build my 280 AI (don't shoot the donor!!!)...I still believe the 280AI truly is the very best round ever designed...No other round that I can think of is better balanced for use in North America, and believe me when I say that I have researched this extensively (before starting my build...the one that stayed a 30-06)

Just my 2 cents and honest from the heart advice.

I do appreciate all the advise and suggestions. I don't remember helping so much that I needed paid back, but I'll take all I can get!! :mrgreen: :grin:

You sent me those 165 grain Accubonds a while back...A favor is a favor...there is no big or small.

Back