MODEL 70 280 Remington BUILD HAS BEGUN

The 280AI is just a touch better ballisticly. You can buy factory Nosler ammo 140ABs & can also pick up Nosler brass for them. It just a bit edgier :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

David, there are often different reamers with different specs. Be sure of what your smith is using. If I was going with the .280 AI, I'd want to make sure I could chamber Nosler's ammo.

But I'd likely just build a .30-06 anyway... :grin:

Guy Miner":3ghx7cmr said:
David, there are often different reamers with different specs. Be sure of what your smith is using. If I was going with the .280 AI, I'd want to make sure I could chamber Nosler's ammo.

But I'd likely just build a .30-06 anyway... :grin:

Or a .280 Remington.

6mm Remington":2d3uzem7 said:
BK":2d3uzem7 said:
The only solution is to go standard .280, and then pick up a Kimber Montana .280 AI...
Holy crap! :grin: :lol: Wow. You guys suck........ :mrgreen:

Yeah, but we're really friendly. :grin:

Yes and we are so happy that we finally have someone that is somewhat listening to us 8)!
The 280AI is just plain COOL :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

6mm Remington":1xwpybdn said:
BK":1xwpybdn said:
The only solution is to go standard .280, and then pick up a Kimber Montana .280 AI...
Holy crap! :grin: :lol: Wow. You guys suck........ :mrgreen:

Just looking out for ya... all the fire controls would be the same, so you wouldn't be going through a list of four different safety location/operations just to realize you are shooting an 1894 with no safety...

(I should be ashamed that a good guy like David curses me. I really should, but I'm not.)

BK":1cni215u said:
(I should be ashamed that a good guy like David curses me. I really should, but I'm not.)

HA! David probably has some voodoo dolls with our faces on them.. :lol:

SJB358":xp024a5o said:
HA! David probably has some voodoo dolls with our faces on them.. :lol:

Ouch! I think I just felt a pain in the backside! David?

David, there was a really nice 6 digit classic fwt stainless in 30.06 on the fire last night that would be a perfect donor... for a 280AI.

Just saying... :)

David....I jumped on the 280AI bandwagon...always did like that round...and it can't really be "wrong", far too many people talking about it for far too long (since 1957)...

"Fads" don't last that long...

Ridgerunner665":3utukz59 said:
David....I jumped on the 280AI bandwagon...always did like that round...and it can't really be "wrong", far too many people talking about it for far too long (since 1957)...

"Fads" don't last that long...

But then...I guess the same could be said of the 280 Remington [emoji1]

In all fairness I sure appreciate all the help and suggestions and ideas. You guys are a great bunch, now don't ever let anyone know I said that! :mrgreen:

Well here's my opinion, which is worth exactly as much as you're paying for it. When Nosler announced that they had had SAAMI spec out the .280AI there was an uproar. Which piqued my curiosity so I started researching things. Remington wanted to sell the .280 in their pumps and semis so they did not load it as hot as the .270. But handloaders did. Had Remington done so, it's my humble opinion that the .270 might be nearly obsolete at this point in history. Unless bullet makers offered a much better variety of bullets in .277 than they currently do.
Then along comes P. O. Ackley who improved pretty much everything he could lay his hands on. Many people think most "improved" cartridges weren't that much of an improvement to warrant the hassle of fire forming brass etc. But I would argue that there are at least 2 that were. The .257 Bob and the .280.
It was at this point that my interest turned from curiosity to want. Just make sure you have the throat cut long so you can load long to take advantage of the extra powder capacity.
But there's no flies on a plain .280 either.

Back