MODEL 70 280 Remington BUILD HAS BEGUN

I don't know. The gunsmith has ordered the barrel and I haven't checked in with him because I don't want to be one of those hovering kind of customer! :mrgreen: :oops: Also if I forget about it the time will go by faster, right? :grin:

6mm Remington":20c9ob67 said:
Also if I forget about it the time will go by faster, right? :grin:

Don't bet on it. Anticipation can make it difficult to wait.

nvbroncrider":xpumq5eh said:
My 338 took forever and I never called once.

Decide on glass yet?
Not yet. I still have 4 in the running I believe.

6x42 Leupold with custom reticle for long distance shots

4.5x14x40 or 3.5x10x40 Leupold with B&C reticle

Swarovski 3-10x42mm with ballistic reticle in it. I like the Z600 in the Zeiss better, but this one isn't bad.

Zeiss HD5 2-10 with the Z600 reticle.

I have thought about the VX6 2-12 Leupold with the B&C reticle also. The 30mm tubes are nice but they just look so big. I think what I need to do is go to the store and have them grab a Model 70 sporter and hold the different scopes on it as if it was mounted to get another look.

JD338":2nlrm41o said:
Not a bad idea David.

JD338
What's that Jim, the VX6? That's a really nice power range to work with that it employs. It appears to be a great scope and feels pretty darn rugged and strong.

6mm Remington":km3kdm1a said:
nvbroncrider":km3kdm1a said:
My 338 took forever and I never called once.

Decide on glass yet?
Not yet. I still have 4 in the running I believe.

6x42 Leupold with custom reticle for long distance shots

4.5x14x40 or 3.5x10x40 Leupold with B&C reticle

Swarovski 3-10x42mm with ballistic reticle in it. I like the Z600 in the Zeiss better, but this one isn't bad.

Zeiss HD5 2-10 with the Z600 reticle.

I have thought about the VX6 2-12 Leupold with the B&C reticle also. The 30mm tubes are nice but they just look so big. I think what I need to do is go to the store and have them grab a Model 70 sporter and hold the different scopes on it as if it was mounted to get another look.

I think I would eliminate the VX3 4.5-14x, unless you are talking about the LR (30mm) version. I'm not a big fan of the B&C reticle, I like the LR Duplex in the VX2 better.

My vote on the glass....Zeiss HD5...all the scopes you mentioned are great I'm sure, but my HD5 sorta blew my mind the first time I looked through it.

Very bright, crystal clear....no BS.

The 6x42 Leupold you mentioned would be a fine choice, the Meopta 6x42 looks to be an excellent one as well.

6mm Remington":1t2cumgf said:
Thanks Kurt I'll have to look at that one also. What do you like about it in particular?

There's too much going on for my simple little mind to process... the LR Duplex just has two little hashmarks below the crosshair to line up on.

Well, I read this thread from the OP's day one to today's post this morning, mostly because I was thinking of rechambering my .280 Rem. to the AI version. Even read the Guns Magazine article by Barsness. I noted one poster got about 3100 FPS with 150 gr. AB's. Barsness got 3005 FPS with the 150 gr. AB's with 59.0 gr. of IMR7828SSC. I get 3010 FPS with that same load of 7828SSC. So, would it be worth the cost of having the barrel set back and rechambered for only at best a 100 FPS gain? Would accuracy still be as good? I think I'll just go with Murphy's first law. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :lol:
Paul B.

PJGunner":3f0bxwl5 said:
Well, I read this thread from the OP's day one to today's post this morning, mostly because I was thinking of rechambering my .280 Rem. to the AI version. Even read the Guns Magazine article by Barsness. I noted one poster got about 3100 FPS with 150 gr. AB's. Barsness got 3005 FPS with the 150 gr. AB's with 59.0 gr. of IMR7828SSC. I get 3010 FPS with that same load of 7828SSC. So, would it be worth the cost of having the barrel set back and rechambered for only at best a 100 FPS gain? Would accuracy still be as good? I think I'll just go with Murphy's first law. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :lol:
Paul B.

I consider that a wise move, Paul. The .280 is a fine cartridge in its own right. No knocks on the AI, but I have a long-standing love affair with the .280 Remington.

You guys are terrible I hope you know! :evil: I am still fence sitting on this darn thing. I think I made it 280AI, but then the 280 is great as mentioned. Oh my what to do? :x :? :eek: :shock:

I want it right. I sure think the .280 is great but man oh man should I AI? I'm so confused. :grin:

Just leave it with me, David; I'll have you up and running in no time with something that you will love. :mrgreen:

6mm Remington":3eaghket said:
You guys are terrible I hope you know! :evil: I am still fence sitting on this darn thing. I think I made it 280AI, but then the 280 is great as mentioned. Oh my what to do? :x :? :eek: :shock:

I want it right. I sure think the .280 is great but man oh man should I AI? I'm so confused. :grin:

HA! I think your in good stead with either case. No reason not to do the 280AI since cases are available. If that weren't the case, I would go 280 Remington all day long. You'll have fun with it either way. Both of them are so super rounds!

When in doubt go with the standard chamber. The 280 was chambered in Remingtons 760 and 742 so the pressures where kept low. When brought up to modern pressures it come close to the 7mm Rem. mag. especially with a little free bore.

The only solution is to go standard .280, and then pick up a Kimber Montana .280 AI...

Back