Model 70 35 Newton

SJB358":2pedms8z said:
Thanks fellas. Yeah, it should sling some bullets, heavy ones pretty well.

The reason I am holding off on buying some rings and mounts is I am not sure if it'll get 1" or 30mm scope. The 1.5x5 Leupold would be a nice one. That's sorta the problem, there are alot of great options.
Scotty, one of these would look very nice on top of the Newton.
Whatcha think 2-10X40 this is a plex but if the pics of the G4 are true to what they accually put in would be better. I like a wide G4 over the narrow opening offered by Luepold.

Attachments

• IMG_20131015_104513 Minox ZA-5.jpg
    IMG_20131015_104513 Minox ZA-5.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 208
Here is what I am really leaning toward for my Whelen:

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/ ... tgRus.html

Right now, it has a 3-10x42 Swaro Z3 on it. I must be nuts for thinking I can "do better" than that, but that heavy #4, lit reticle, and Meopta optics (right there with the Z3, in my opinion), there's a lot to like about the Meostar scope. Especially since Doug at CLNY has them for a better price. And I looked at one in the bargain cave at the Cabela's near me. It's NICE.

That or I just wait for another Z3 to show up on sale, as I have 2 now, and a 3rd for the H&H would be about right. lol

IMO Scotty my friend you just took the cool factor to a new level for me. 35 Newton is one cool cat. Tell that would not put an azz whoopin on a bull.

Bill

OU812":193xrhea said:
IMO Scotty my friend you just took the cool factor to a new level for me. 35 Newton is one cool cat. Tell that would not put an azz whoopin on a bull.

Bill

Bill, that's what I always thought and why I wanted one. The family and friends made it a reality.

Yeah, I'd say smoking along some 225's at 2900 or 250's at 2800 would work okay on elk! I know one thing, the rifle is darned handy. I'm pretty sure it'll be a great rifle up in the mountains.

Scotty, make sure that your crowns are glued in well, LOL!

I can't accept that a Meopta is better than a Swaro, Eeek!? Maybe application wise?

Oldtrader3":2n7d2f15 said:
Scotty, make sure that your crowns are glued in well, LOL!

I can't accept that a Meopta is better than a Swaro, Eeek!? Maybe application wise?

I will have the Dental Clinic give me a good once over Charlie! HA!

Yeah, I wonder about that myself. I believe Tom though, seems like he might be onto something. The only issue with the Meopta is the eye relief. I sorta want something closer to the 4" mark for this rifle I think.. I have been hit a few times with shorter eye relief scopes on heavy hitters.. Prefer not to replay it..

Camera Land has these on 1/2 price sale, $250. and they have a open box ZE-5I #4 for $800 marked down from $1600.

Attachments

• IMG_20131015_104513 Minox ZA-5.jpg
    IMG_20131015_104513 Minox ZA-5.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 169
I have one Minox, on a .22WMR, that is enough for me!

This is why I picked the VX3 for my 9.3x74R. Recoil is about 45 pounds with 276 bullets but the scope has a 4 inch eye relief or more, depending on power. These medium bores up to .375 are not ground squirrel guns anyway. Most people put 5-6 power variables on them and are good to go. My 9.3 has a 1.5x5 variable with a #4 reticle. That is an appropriate set up for this rifle. I would love to have a 1-6 Swaro AV if I can find one but for the time being the Leupold will have to do.

Every time I start to get the funds to build something cool, a rifle I have been searching for pops up with too good a price to pass... darn it..

I am looking at those 1/2 off Minox from Doug as well to put on the .243 and take the 2x8x32 off the 243 and put it on the 375 ( maybe)...

Just wear a mouthguard when you let her loose Scotty

Oldtrader3":15tk0ux3 said:
I have one Minox, on a .22WMR, that is enough for me!

This is why I picked the VX3 for my 9.3x74R. Recoil is about 45 pounds with 276 bullets but the scope has a 4 inch eye relief or more, depending on power. These medium bores up to .375 are not ground squirrel guns anyway. Most people put 5-6 power variables on them and are good to go. My 9.3 has a 1.5x5 variable with a #4 reticle. That is an appropriate set up for this rifle. I would love to have a 1-6 Swaro AV if I can find one but for the time being the Leupold will have to do.

Charlie, I think I would like a 1.5x6 Zeiss or the Swaro AV would be very nice. Hard to find one in my price range though. Honestly, as good as the 1.5x4 VXR is on my 45-70, I might take a chance with a 2x7 or 3x9 VXR on the Newton. Never know though, I see the 1.5x6 Zeiss's pop up here and there for decent prices.

Realistically, Scotty, the VX3 is good glass. Except for extremes of light, it works very well. I sometimes fear I'm becoming a scope snob, when there is good to excellent glass at what is comparably bargain prices.

It's no longer available from Doug for $399 (or any price...) but if I were scoping your rifle, I'd think long and hard about this Minox:

http://theopticzone.com/products-page/r ... n-4-matte/

I don't know anything about theopticzone.com, so maybe they're shifty, maybe they're on a par with Doug or MidSouth or one of my other favorite online vendors. Regardless, $430 for the 1.5-8x32 Minox is a pretty good deal (though not as good as $400) and I'd sure consider it. You know how good the glass is. And you know my thoughts on Leupold these days. I just won't risk it.

Alternately, I'm not sure it's worth about $180 more than the 2-10x40, so maybe dealing with Doug and getting the 2-10 is the right choice. If I had the coin, I'd be snagging one of those for my Colt in 30-06. But then I'd have two "unrifled" scopes and end up needing more than one new rifle platform. Hopefully I'll rectify my financial situation shortly and can move on one of those 2-10s.

Very nice rifle and very nice way the folks treated you, Scotty. Glad you're enjoying it, and just know you've earned it, sir.

Now you can sell the Whelen....you know being an evil Remington :twisted: and all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FOTIS":npckm4ts said:
Now you can sell the Whelen....you know being an evil Remington :twisted: and all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oooooo! That's sure to elicit a reaction. Good call, though. :grin:

FOTIS":3o6230p6 said:
Fotis I already tried, He's saving it for his son which is neat. 8)

Or he could ditch the REm, buy a nice donor M70, rebore to 35 Whelen, then father can run the Newton, and the son can run the Whelen...

Their problem solved.

Back