Model 70 makeover range report

STW

Beginner
Apr 18, 2006
Finally found a window in the weather to get out to the 100 yard range.
I had cleaned the rifle as soon as I received it. Mounted and torqued the Nightforce NSX 3.5-15 into the Talley lightweight mounts. I set up a target at 25 yards and found out I was low and adjusted accordingly. Then out to 100 yards. First shot was 2'' high and 2'' right fired 2 more shots and had a group that measured 1.7''. So I cleaned the gun. I repeated this process firing 3 and cleaning until i had put 24 rounds thru the rifle. The load is 77 grains H1000 , Fed 215 primer, W-W brass, 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip with an overall cartridge lenght of 3.340''. All of my groups ran 1.5'' to 1.75''.
So back home and gave it a good cleaning overnite with Wipeout.
I also had some loads of 78 and 79 grains of H1000 with the same bullet and length loaded for the next trip.
I figured I would load some more of these bullets since I have Reloder 22 , IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 on hand as well.
I loaded up 8 rounds with the IMR 4350, 5 with 68 grains of powder and 3 with 69 grains.
I loaded 6 rounds with RL22 3 with 72.5 grains and 3 with 73.5 and loaded 6 more with 70 and 71grains of IMR4831 all loaded to 3.340''.
Went out yesterday and began to fire my groups using 2 of the rounds with the 4350 as foulers.
After the smoke cleared the results were identical for all of the ammunition I had reloaded. Consistent 1.6-1.7'' groups, I was hoping for better. I was able to get my 300 ultra to shoot the 180 grain ballistic tips very well on my first attempt so why not this gun.
Packed up all of the rifles and headed home. So now what? Well better measure how far my ammo is from the lands and it turns out the loads I have at 3.340 are .096'' off of the lands with the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. So any ideas as what would be a better distance to the lands? I have ample room in my mag box. I was thinking on loading some more with only .018'' any input greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 300 Win.jpg
    300 Win.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 754
It sounds like you are on the right track, a little tweaking here and there, and I will bet Sub MOA is achievable. What caliber is this rifle?

This is in 300 win mag. I just had a new barrel installed. 24 inch with a 1 in 10 twist. The gunsmith squared off the receiver and the bolt face and recut the receiver threads as well. Factory stock was previously bedded and shot extremely well with the factory barrel.

If it were me, I'd start at .010" off the rifling if you have the room. I'm betting the BTs will come into their own between .010 and .050". Great looking rifle.

As stated, cup and core bullets don't yield the accuracy we seek with long jumps to the lands. Ballistic Tips seated 0.010 to 0.025 inches from the lands have always given me good accuracy.

STW that is a great looking rifle and with a NF on it I am sure it is going to come into its own. It will be real interesting to see what it does if you are able to load to what has been suggested.
Hope you are able to get out to the range again real quick with more photos (y).

Blessings,
Dan

for a hunting rifle I like to be no closer than .010 to the lands . this is plenty of clearance to be sure you won't get a bullet stuck in the barrel . or I start at mag length , if it's shorter . then I can only go one way to find accuracy , that's shorter . you've got good advice , and I agree . you'll find accuracy with these bullets , in the jumping .010 - .030 range .

Well I have made a number of trips to my 100 yard range this week. I started with the same powders and seating the 180 ballistic tips .018'' from the lands. Groups did not improve except for the IMR 4831 they shrunk a bit on the average. So I stuck with the IMR 4831 and worked on seating the bullets out in .003 increments until I hit the lands. The best I could muster was right at 1'' for three shots. Well I thought lets try some other 180 bullets , so I put together some 180 Accubonds and 180 Scirroco II. These went 1.5 to 1.75'' geez I'm going backwards. So lets see what other 30 cal bullets are on the shelf. Put together a number of 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips at .032 from lands with 72 grains imr 4350 and another 9 rounds with 150 grain Barnes and 74 grains imr 4350 with the bullets .045 off the lands. I've used these loads for my buddies 300 win mag ABolt over the years. First 3 165 grain ballistic tips went .7'' now that's getting acceptable.
The Barnes bullets also shot right at the .7 inch mark but I not interested in using them. So I guess I'm going to load more of the 165 Nosler ballistic tips w imr 4350 and try seating them out a bit at a time to see if I can shrink groups down a bit more.

Nice. Sounds like it's working now.

How fresh is the barrel on that rifle? If it's fairly new it might have just taken a little fouling to settle it as well?

Back