Model 70 regret

George looks awesome with that bull..
I think I would pee in my pants.
Yall ain't scared...of nothin.

+1 on what George the bullshooter said :)
Problem shooters are mysteries to many of us. I have burned up a pile of components trying to get a couple of them to work. When the barrel is suspect I finally took to doing a chamber cast to look for poor throat alignment, took to that competent gunsmith who has a good borescope, and recrown even if I can't see anything wrong. I can do the first and the last, but don't have a borescope.
Only when none of those show anything that needs addressed would I consider getting rid of it. A decent chamber cast is nice to have and a good confidence builder for me. Also useful when reloading. A preference for flat based bullets vs. boattail is indicative to me that the crown is suspect.
Oh yeah, I have to remember that I don't shoot as well as I used to! :)
EE2

elkeater2":2bl1cdxx said:
+1 on what George the bullshooter said :)
Problem shooters are mysteries to many of us. I have burned up a pile of components trying to get a couple of them to work. When the barrel is suspect I finally took to doing a chamber cast to look for poor throat alignment, took to that competent gunsmith who has a good borescope, and recrown even if I can't see anything wrong. I can do the first and the last, but don't have a borescope.
Only when none of those show anything that needs addressed would I consider getting rid of it. A decent chamber cast is nice to have and a good confidence builder for me. Also useful when reloading. A preference for flat based bullets vs. boattail is indicative to me that the crown is suspect.
Oh yeah, I have to remember that I don't shoot as well as I used to! :)
EE2
Elkeater,

I've not heard that a marked preference for a flat based bullet could be due to a suspect crown but I guess it could be.

I'll have to experiment with my 25-06, which shows such a preference, at some point in the future. Thank you sir!

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

GeorgeS":2975xn6s said:
Check ALL the screws on the gun and scope mounts. Degrease them and re-install, then tighten per specification.
Check the crown for obvious damage.
Check the bore for obvious flaws or severe fouling
Check the trigger pull weight (if it's heavy or has too much overtravel, it could affect groups).
Check the bedding.
Check the shooter (have someone else shoot the gun).
Try a different bullet weight.

George

Looks like good advice to me, especially "Check the shooter (have someone else shoot the gun)." I don't mean to be demeaning or insulting but I've bought several rifles over the years from people who said they were inaccurate and when I shot them got good groups.
Could be something in the gun's fit and your body. Maybe the muzzle blast is disconcerting. Could be any number of physical things. Not saying I'm a great shot but I'd love to shoot it a time or two.
I also agree that maybe you should take up reloading. Long story kept short, OK? I once bought a Ruger M77 RSI in .308 Win. from a guy at a very low price. Fell I love with that rifle but had to ask why the price was so low? Guy was honest. Said the gun didn't shoot worth a damn. Neither factory nor hand loads would do any better than 4". I said I'd gamble I could make it shoot and I did. Took me two full years to get that gun to shoot 1.5" at 100 yards on a consistent basis. Took a "wrong" powder for the cartridge and a 165 gr. Speer Hot Core but I got my 1.50" groups and a slight bit of tweaking on the muzzle cap brought groups down to 1.25". I've taken deer from 35 feet to 250 yards with that rifle. FWIW, I've picked up two more cheap for the same reason. Used that same load and the slight teak and all three rifles are decent if not spectacular shooters more than adequate for hunting with a touch of class. (y)
Paul B.

You might try putting a bit of light pressure about 2-3 inches back of the for end tip by tearing off a piece of standard target paper, folding it over and place as mentioned. Re-torque the action to specs and give that a try. I had a sour shooting rifle that this worked great afterwards.

If you are willing, I would invest $50. in a recrown job on the barrel before giving up. If you have tried all of the other things with no improvement and you have another scope to test, I would also change out the scope and test accuracy before giving up on the rifle all together. As I said, I have had two clinkers out of 30 with Model 70's and being a machine, made by man, it can happen. Good luck with that project rifle. Usually the 7-08 rifles are pretty accurate. Sorry that you are having problems?

Back