Modern Gun Crowd

Two guys with AR’s on a public range. They are doing the military thing blowing through clips as fast as they can at a human shaped steel target at 25 yards ish. Bullets are bouncing all over the place so I kindly walk over when they are reloading. I pointed out that their ricochets are going all over the range. The guy tells me to F off and mind my own business. I had barely finished casing my gun when a ricochet came back and loudly penetrated their car.
They stared at me and I at them. I wanted to report that I was going to F off now but instead I just got in my truck and left. Idiots deserve holes in the sides of their cars.
You just can’t fix stupid.

Where I shoot south of of town, it doesn't get dangerous...at least the times I have been there.
It's not stupid (They are good people), but rather ignorance...They are just getting started, and no one has taught or mentored them yet.
I wasn't shooting but spotting for Dan or Glenn...I don't remember right now.
There were 3 guys and they had two 338 Lapua's, and they were having problems.
They had a lot of technology present. Even a nice Kestrel with a weather vane on it.
It was basically worthless, since our shooting area is somewhat enclosed and it is terrible for feeling the wind
Dan or Glenn was shooting either a 22 Creed or a 6 Creed center-grip XP-100. I think it was Glenn with his 22 Creedmoor, shooting 88 ELD-M's.
I ran my guy from 300 yards out to 1K fairly easy, but 1100 and 1200 yards was tougher.
Had some nasty mirage plus wind, but finally got it done.
I asked if they wanted help? They politely declined.
I gave them a wind constant at some point. They gave up trying with one rifle at one point. I don't remember the problem with it.
When we were getting ready to leave, one of the guys came over to us, and congratulated my shooter for out shooting all of them.
He said him and his buds were amazed at what the XP could do.

A lot of guys will accept help if you offer it nicely.
A lot of guys out at Chuck's place are good shooters, so that makes it nice.

I have had weapons discharged towards my general direction on more than one occasion. Twice while cleaning guns, the malefactor did not first ensure that the weapon was clear before cycling the action to dryfire it, surprising everyone when instead of hearing "click" they heard "pow!"

South of Bend, OR there is an informal range known as "China Hat." When I lived there, I once went there with a good friend to shoot a few assorted handguns and rifles. We called ceasefire at the makeshift firing line, and appearing as though everyone got the message and set down their guns, several of us from different parties advanced downrange to collect our targets. I cannot remember the exact number of steps we had walked when bullets began flying downrange again. All of us that were downrange quickly retreated to the firing line to discover some drunken cowboys with a beer in one hand and a Glock 9mm in the other had pulled up, jumped out and let fly. I was livid. We packed up and left. Every time I thought about confronting those idiots, I feared that they or myself would likely end up getting shot out of the deal and talked myself out of it. Never try to reason with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. That goes double for drunken idiots. We left and never went back. Never will again actually.

Of course I had a close call last fall with a hunter fumbling to make his rifle safe and discharging it into the ground mere inches from my feet too but that's another story.

As far as the "Modern Gun Crowd" goes, I'm somewhat conflicted. On the one hand, I agree with everything that others here have said, putting 47 things on their AR rifles, mag dumps, tacticool gloves, vests, and other assorted gear, etc. have gotten to be the signs of what we call a "drugstore cowboy." They are all hat and no cattle.

Ditto the man-bun sporting suburbanite who buys a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor and a blisterpack scope and thinks he is Chris Kyle reincarnated. Buddy I have accidently dropped more ammo on the ground than you have sent downrange. But tell me again how my .30-06 is "a piece of junk relic" and that the .270 "had it's time." No please go on about how the 1911 is "the worst handgun ever made" or how you spent $2k on designer camouflage and refuse to consider shooting a buck that scores under 180" B&C. I could go on and on, and ON, but you get the idea.

I love hunting, but I don't like a lot of the things hunting has become. That said, we hunters NEED each other. I get tired of the new age bull just as quickly as anyone but the truth is, if we don't stick together, live and let live, hunting as we know it will not be around much longer.

A few weeks ago after work. I drove to our club to verify zero and function on a coworkers AR and shoot the new 6.5 PRC for break-in and to get it on paper.

We are private and usually don't have to worry about the general public. Our RO is really cool semi-retired dude who likes to chat with the members. I am the only one on the 100yd line currently and the only one logged on the 200yd line for the day.

His first question was why I had that big side port brake on my 6.5. Before we could finish our conversation a member drives up and signs in and sets up right next to me, 20+ lanes to choose from, he chooses #3. As the RO turned to chat with the new guy unloading his gear, I sent a 156gr Berger downrange. New guy decided to move to the furthest lane he could get to from me.

Crowded range, I don't mind, but I have noticed it becomes a contest with 3 or less members shooting.

Well I have a safe empty chamber indicator that was passed out at my pistol club banquet that says remove before you pew pew, I'm going to scrape that crap off of it before I use it.
The Steel shooters shooting steel at 10-15yds as fast as they can run their high cap pistols is hilarious to listen to, bang clang bang bang bang bang clan then empty the magazine without a hit shooting with two hands.
They like to come up to the bullseye range and sight their pistols in at 25yds and shoot up the target frames.
Yes there are a few that can shoot but there are very few who can clean all they targets at full speed.
Can I do it probably not because I am old school and was taught not to shoot at flat hard targets close up and I don't like getting sprayed with shrapnel when I shoot my handguns, I can't afford to waste supplies like that.
They have fun so I guess that is all that matters till one of them is injured bad enough that it causes us to loose or lease on the property that is owned by the city. Oh and there has been a few injured bad enough to go to the ER for shrapnel removal and the police are called in to investigate because it is a bullet wound.
I'm not knocking shooting long range steel targets with a rifle; it helps to verify your long-range sight adjustment for hunting and I have done that myself.
Sorry for the rant.

......When in the world did we start calling guns "pew pews" and ammunition "freedom seeds"?....... ;)

When you post the "GUN" word and you get banned for 30 days. Now Facebook and messenger are not for everybody but when I can talk face to face for free to my family in Greece..........

I did it just the other day, three middle aged guys showed up with their full dress Ar 15s, set up a dooling tree at 100 yards. Missed it about 1/2 the time. Gotta love the 375.
I’ve known some guys who could shoot like your dad, all those old boys who got it done in WW11 And Korea; I think they scoff in our general direction when it comes to shooting. That being said, I really enjoyed watching them put on displays like that.
My father in law at 92 still fits his shooting jacket and has his match Garand he shot for the army. If I am having trouble figuring out if poor groups are my fault or the gun's/ammo's fault I have him shoot.

He said in competition the ones to watch out for were the old Marine sergeants. If you saw them out back pulling on a flask of something you might as well resign yourself to finishing down in the group, cause they were serious.

New guy decided to move to the furthest lane he could get to from me.
Seen that show before. Each year late fall I’d take the 338 Lapua to the town’s small range. It has a large 3port side discharge brake. I would ask people if they had any hearing protection with them. You get a No , hunting season is coming up , who wears that hunting. No one has ever made it past 3 round before leaving🤷‍♂️

Back