Monolithic Bullets

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Any one shoot Barnes or E-tips in their .338Wm? Looking for the best possible combo for Elk and Mule Deer.
Also any kills with them and how the preformed (DRT) or run off and track them after what was a good hit?

They shoot real well in my 338, I am using RL-17, Win brass, f-215 primer. Perfect mushroom shot into wet alder all petals intact. barnes bullets shed their petals shot into the same wood. The E-tips will be a great elk bullet. These were 200g at 3050fps. I will use them on my next rifle elk hunt.

Truck driver, another great deer and elk bullet in 338 is a 200g BT, I know for a fact that they will shoot through a very large mule deer end to end at400 yds. A lot of people here on the OR coast use them for elk with great results.

TD, I have not tried the Barnes in a .338 but have in a 7 mm STW. Both the original and the TSX. My sample is fairly small but I shot three elk with them, a few years back. I believe that almost any well constructed bullet will do the DRT thingy if you shot them right through both front shoulders, or break the spine. As I said three elk, 2 cows and a small bull, one at 100 or so the other two at 300. All three wandered around until I shot them again. One required two more shots. I went back to the PT. If I had a .338 I would be using either the Partition or the AB, .225 or .250 grain bullets.

Elkman":2g4xdm2l said:
TD, I have not tried the Barnes in a .338 but have in a 7 mm STW. Both the original and the TSX. My sample is fairly small but I shot three elk with them, a few years back. I believe that almost any well constructed bullet will do the DRT thingy if you shot them right through both front shoulders, or break the spine. As I said three elk, 2 cows and a small bull, one at 100 or so the other two at 300. All three wandered around until I shot them again. One required two more shots. I went back to the PT. If I had a .338 I would be using either the Partition or the AB, .225 or .250 grain bullets.
Thanks for the response I'll remember what you said.

210 swift scirocco powered by 73 grains of rl 19 produces 3000fps out of my a bolt it works well on both deer and elk. Pelt damage is rough on coyotes though.

I've shot deer, one and elk one with Barnesbullets. I think they are a good elk bullet but my 338 doesn't really like them. I shot one deer, lunged him, he ran flat out for about 100 yards and fell over dead.
I load 160 grain Barnes bullets in my BIL 7mm Remington. He has probably killed 20; deer, elk and antelope with that load. Won't consider shooting anything else.
In consideration of your elk hunt, combo with deer I'd go with what ever your rifle shoots best, focused on a good elk bullet. It's going to kill deer.
If I was looking for a deer bullet I like Ballistic tips. I don't use them for elk because I've used them since the box read "deer & antelope", regardless the success others have had with BT on elk. :)
I've had great results with the 250 grain AB and prior to that the 250 grain Partition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a cow elk at 185 yards with a 7mm 168 grain LRX. Bullet cleanly passed through her, and she went about 20 yards and fell over dead. Shot through the lungs, one shot.

this was with a 280ai, with a MV of 2900 fps.

I used a lot of TSX bullets in my 300 WSM to drop a lot of moose and elk. Good performance for quick kills. Bullet placement was always the key, I believed. I prefer the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM; it has taken several nice moose and elk. I've used the 200 grain E-Tip in my 338 Federal to take a moose. Monolithic bullets work very well for me. Are they better than Partitions? No! But they have a place.

Couple Cow elk with 150gr E-Tip, 30-06 with Shilen barrel both one shot kills less than 200yds.

I haven't taken any elk with my 338 with a Barnes or Nosler ETip, but have taken a few animals with the older X bullets and the later TSX's in the 35 Whelen and 300 Win Mag. The TSX's worked great in the 35 Whelen and expanded very well from the one I caught on a black bear. Sailed right on through the elk.

I believe if you dig around you'll find a fella from up North that took a bunch of animals with the 338 and 200 ETip. I think you should be able drive that bullet pretty fast.

Still, if I had my druthers, I'd rather run the 210 Partition or 200 grain AccuBond. Love the way those two work and they have been accurate in both of my 338's and a few others as loaded by friends.

Thanks for all the feed back fellas. That's what I like about this forum, all one has to do is post a question and you get lots of answer to sort threw and there is nothing like real life experiences that others have had to share.

I shot a bull with my .338 win mag with 185 gr Hornady gmx. Though both lungs at 35 yards. Muzzle velocity was 3060fps. Dropped in its tracks. Etips have worked well in my 7 mm rem mag. on whitetail.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Roger
The 210 gr PT is all the bullet you need. It will put deer and elk down both near and far.

JD338

I would stick with a PT 210-225. The thing with monos is you want light for caliber bullets pushed fast, almost defeats the purpose of a 338. I would think the 225 AB would be another great option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working with mono's a bit more lately because I think the California disease will soon spread to Oregon. But I do like PT very much. AB's have also worked very well for me. But my experience with Barns so far has be excellent!

Haven't tried the e-tip yet.

TD
I have shot moose, elk and deer with a 338 and Barnes tsx and ttsx bullets and have had no problems. If they shoot well in your rifle, they should, I would not hesitate to use them. My only E-tip game use was last falls elk with a 168 out of a 300 RUM and it was a DRT.

Back