Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
FYI

sy5whvI.jpg

Y4gqiCx.jpg

4IyyL0g.jpg

Good info, thanks. I have been contemplate using 150 gr TTSX in my 30-06

Sent from ACLakey's Android

It has frequently been said that Barnes X bullets thrive on high impact velocity. Based on your results that seems to be true. Test results would also indicate that the mono-metal bullets aren't exactly the best choice for longer range hunting where impact velocities fall in the 2,000 ft/sec range or less.
Based on everything that I've seen, read and experienced; you'd be hard pressed to find a better all-around hunting bullet than the AccuBond where shots could be short or long and the impact surface could be soft or hard.
And no - I don't work for Nosler. I just took my last 5 whitetails with a 180 Berger VLD. :grin:

Fotis - thanks for the bullet review and the accompanying hi-definition images. Both very well done.

I guess once they get to 2K fps they all suck hind teet!

The GS Custom HV's are indeed an exception but you pay for it.

Yep, speed is your friend when shooting the mono bullets, for long range stuff a good lead core bullet is still the best.

DrMike":36yar565 said:
Appreciate the graphic representation of terminal ballistics.

+1 Nice work FOTIS! I'd bet they look like a pencil below that? Years ago I had a FailSafe 338 look good enough to reload!

Good write up!
How the heck did you set up the bullet trap w/alternating layers of water and wet print?

elkeater2":2g5hcfh1 said:
Wondering how the e-tips would have compared....
EE2
about the same more or less/

see here

Attachments

• E-Tip-Mushrooms.jpg
    E-Tip-Mushrooms.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,069
Thanks for the E-Tip shrooms, Fotis. Looks like they'd work OK in most rifles and loads out to about 400+ yds., since that is also where many suitable rounds drop to <2000 fps or so. Interesting stuff!
EE2

Hey Fotis

GS Custom is interesting but ghastly expensive. How do they perform at lower velocity? I hear the price will be dropping soon to make them more competitive. Their website should reflect this in a couple of weeks

Great post Fotis. Thanks for the info. Couldn't hepl but notice the Hornaday GMX seemed to expand better at lower velocities than the Barnes LRX.

The minimum velocity for the GMX is 2K. GS customs will expand at 1200 -1600 fps pending on caliber.

I have shot antelope at 452 yards with the 330 GS custom from my 416 WBY at 3070 fps MV. The damage was huge even at that range

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

good shooting. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of loading some in the 243 instead of the superformance gmx just in case something larger crossed my path when hunting for Reedbuck and impala

Back