Montana ASR (American Standard Rifle, 30-06

That's pretty impressive. I am feeling that you are going to be very happy with that rifle. I think my next rifle purchase will be one of those in a 6mm Remington. What grain was that??

Please post us a couple pictures!! We love photographs.

This is indeed encouraging.. The load is 180 grain soft points. In comparison the Remington 700 CDL in 30-06 that I bought in spring 2013 cost me a lot of hand loads and gave me mega frustration before achieving good groups. Timney trigger, bolt lapping, glass bedding, and free floating the barrel were the fix.

I have had trouble posting pics until today so I will try to post one of the Monty, (short for Montana} in the near future.... The Zeiss 2 - 10x42 with RapidZ600 reticle is mounted quite high at the moment and hopefully will be lowered when my LGS receives the Leupold 2 piece bases. I have been unable to find a one piece left hand base in stock for the Montana. I am anxious to try using the RapidZ600 out to 400 yds. at NYDan's range..

As an aside, I will be checking the concentricity/eccentricity of the next few factory loads from the same lot as the pictured group to see if there is a discernable difference in POI. NYDan and I have been tossing concentricity around quite a bit and now I believe that I have a good weapon for quality ammo analysis... Regards, Rol

That's a really nice scope and I love the ballistic reticle. Still thinking about that scope or the 3-15 Zeiss with the same reticle for my 280 Ackley.

Wow that's incredible; I hear an awful lot of good things about those.

I'd love to see pictures also.

Outstanding!
The more I research ballistics the more I'm liking the 30-06. That accuracy will get it done for sure.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Very nice. Seems like the MRC's are the way to roll. Congrats on a good one!

Very good out of the box accuracy, gotta love that. I had my hands on several Montana rifles at the Portland sportsman show this winter, they sure look and feel like great rifles.
Congratulations.

Congrats! Love it when a rifle shoots factory ammo well.

Your handloads will be even better!

Funny thing, you could go buy 500 of those Federals, and hunt North America confidently, for decades, without changing a thing on your rifle or without ever working up a handload...

Think about the utter simplicity and effectiveness of that...

Guy

Just returned from my Friday morning coffee clutch at my LGS... Funny thing is the boys suggested red loctite on all base and scope screws and buy a case of the same lot ammo that I used for the first group.. Great minds in different places. At least they let me keep the bolt and cheek piece on the correct side for a lefty..:)

Rol_P":1m73hnfa said:
At least they let me keep the bolt and cheek piece on the correct side for a lefty..:)

Do you mean there are rifles with the cheek piece on the right side? :? And there are rifles with the bolt handle on the left side? :shock: I can hardly believe it! :grin: There is a real benefit to having a rifle that digests factory ammo. I did buy up a case of Federal ammunition many years ago to shoot through my 7mm RM. It shot the 175 grain TBBC so well that I was hard pressed to match what they produced. I still have some of that ammunition around somewhere, though I transitioned to 175 grain Partitions and 175 grain TBBC handloads over a decade ago.

Wow Rol, that's an awesome group from a factory fresh rifle digesting factory ammo. I'd gather from what you said that you did take those guys advise and buy a case? It would save you searching for another load, might cost a bit more but then you might spend a lot of time and money looking for another load? Or stumble upon an even better group?

Best wishes to you.

Okay we need pictures please! (y) I would love to see it and see how that scope looks on it. Should be just about perfect.

photo (27).JPG

A photo of the Montana will appears above.. She is a beautiful piece of blue steel and walnut without the frills of forend cap, grip cap etc. I believe the fellas at Montana Rifle are true craftsmen..

Don't see how to delete the duplicate photo... Sorry guys.

Attachments

• photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,018
That is a proper looking rifle that shoots well. Congratulations mi amigo.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back