Moose @1100 meters on the Muskwa-Kechika

It's know wonder why LR hunting is so contraverstial, It looks like a good ethical kill shot. When the camera pans back is when I shake my head, like really 3/4 of a mile like you couldn't get to within say 600 yrds? The braggin is maybe what rubs me the wrong way, if they played the vid without panning all the way back nobody would ever know the difference. He made a good shot in good conditions, I'm glad it wasn't a bad shot at that range even a moose has a small kill zone.

I am into long range shooting but for hunting, I woulod want to get closer.

JD338

I guess if you know your rifle and you can make the shot every time under perfect conditions the shot isn't luck. I just know that in my many years that animals tend to move at unexpected times and that bullet had plenty of hang time. My hat is off to the shooter but I would have re-positioned closer. I don't know what the FPE is at that range but it sure doesn't give any slack for imperfection.
Greg

Of course if he was shooting a RUM :roll: :lol:

I've seen moose shot well with large calibers at relatively close range...and he ran for what seemed forever.

No thanks, moose are just too hard to impress for that kind of shooting.

yotecallr, thanks for posting.

You cannot ask for a more perfect condition to take that kind of shot. As you can see, you can't find any ripple in the water. That means a perfectly still, almost no wind condition. Also, the bullet doesn't have to traverse an uneven ground or canyon where a turbulence can upset bullet flight, since the terrain is so flat . A cartridge like the 338 Lapua or even a 300 RUM, will have enough energy to anchor an animal the size of a moose at 1100 meters if you and your equipment has the capability.

I refuse to believe that he could not have cut the distance in half.

Yotecallr":3po9vwi1 said:
He uses a 300 Win mag. with has a high Leupold scope, McMillan stock, etc.
Really I figured .338 lapau or .30-378 bee along that lines. I know a 300 win is a good longrange cal. but I would not have guessed it to drop a moose like that at that range.
I like the fact he had his kids out hunting, but I doubt they even seen what da was shooting at. oh yeah the little black speck on the horizon.LOL

Yotecallr":10mtvxfz said:
He uses a 300 Win mag. with has a high Leupold scope, McMillan stock, etc.
I did re-read people's comments in his post at YouTube, and he did use a McMillan built 300 Win Mag. Unless he has 30 inch barrel, he was at the limit of the 300 Win Mag. There's no doubt, assuming that he was at sea level - that the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip has the B.C to remain supersonic to 1100 meters, but the energy would be less than 700 ft/lbs The guy was just lucky! It seems like he hit the moose in the spine (judging from the animal reaction) Otherwise he was in for a long stalk with his daughter, in bear country. The shot is doable! but he needs more gun than the 300 Win Mag. A 338 Lapua or the 340 Weatherby will be more appropriate.

Back