Moose Attack on training dogsled team

Her Facebook post she stated only having a 22lr pistol. It was completely ineffective on the moose.

We have had a lot of aggressive moose this year, the several ice storms along with lots of snow have made the moose move into roads and trails to avoid breaking thru the snow/ice crust. There has been several moose shot in self defense this year.

A 30-30 would have been much better than that 22lr. It would have been enough to drop that moose.

A 30-30 would have been much better than that 22lr. It would have been enough to drop that moose.

no argument from me, on either point. however personally when a moose, brown or white bear has made up their mind to attack myself and my dogs the 250gr bullet from woodleigh out of the 348 gives me a bit more comfort and has, to date, not failed us ( me/dogs ) --and I feel the same way about the 358 vs 30/30.

Dr. Mike. After Woodleigh had their fire my grandfather contacted Hammer in Montana about a 250 gr flat nose copper bullet, for the 348. We have not run out of Woodleigh bullets yet, but we may give them a try.

Her Facebook post she stated only having a 22lr pistol. It was completely ineffective on the moose.

We have had a lot of aggressive moose this year, the several ice storms along with lots of snow have made the moose move into roads and trails to avoid breaking thru the snow/ice crust. There has been several moose shot in self defense this year.

A 22lr in the woods of Alaska or Canada is only slightly better than a stick in the eye. On second thought...:unsure:

Could be hard to get to the rifle while holding on to the sled, if you let go-even harder. Or if it tips onto the rifle side. I'd like a gun that was attached to me. There are some pretty light 44's and 357's (20 to 25 ounces) that are great for carrying if not target practice. A friend carriers a Glock 10mm for bear and moose, it weighs right at 2 lbs.. A can of bear spray weighs even less, tho I don't know how well they work in deep cold.

Last edited:
Could be hard to get to the rifle while holding on to the sled, if you let go even harder. Or if it tips onto the rifle side. I'd like a gun that was attached to me. There are some pretty light 44's and 357's (20 to 25 ounces) that are great for carrying if not target practice. A friend carriers a Glock 10mm for bear and moose, it weighs right at 2 lbs.. A can of bear spray weighs even less, tho I don't know how well they work in deep cold.
at first blush my response might seem to be a bit combative, but that is not my intention, I am simply stating how I feel and how I feel comes from having been in these types of sticky situations. Yes, many things can go wrong and usually do, but the three animals I dont take a chance with is an angry moose, grizzly or white bear. Bear spray might work if the wind isn't blowing the wrong way, if it isn't to cold, and if the dogs will not be also effected by it. I am licensed to carry but have found a lever action rifle to be more effective----clothes ( removal of or opening of ) to use the handgun is slower--for me.. The rifle is never tucked away in the sled. I dont need to stop to reach it or to retrieve it from a sled on its side. And, there is no law, if your licensed to carry handgun, that says you can't carry both a handgun and rifle and even bear spray if you so choose. So, to only, carry a small caliber handgun into bear and moose country, defies logic IMHO

at first blush my response might seem to be a bit combative, but that is not my intention, I am simply stating how I feel and how I feel comes from having been in these types of sticky situations. Yes, many things can go wrong and usually do, but the three animals I dont take a chance with is an angry moose, grizzly or white bear. Bear spray might work if the wind isn't blowing the wrong way, if it isn't to cold, and if the dogs will not be also effected by it. I am licensed to carry but have found a lever action rifle to be more effective----clothes ( removal of or opening of ) to use the handgun is slower--for me.. The rifle is never tucked away in the sled. I dont need to stop to reach it or to retrieve it from a sled on its side. And, there is no law, if your licensed to carry handgun, that says you can't carry both a handgun and rifle and even bear spray if you so choose. So, to only, carry a small caliber handgun into bear and moose country, defies logic IMHO
For sure.

One reason the sled dog racer gave was the weight penalty. I know some distance athletes that if they can save a lb of weight somewhere it means they can carry the weight in the form of peanut butter, Pringles or lard for an extra days worth of calories, hence they can go farther or harder. I don't know how that would translate into dog team/day/weight calories when calculating dog food, but I get not wanting to bring an extra 6-8 lbs of rifle in a race.

Extra weight during training I would think would enhance the workout tho.
I have seen a mule deer stomp a dog that got too close to it's fawns, I can only imagine what a big moose could do.

For sure.

One reason the sled dog racer gave was the weight penalty. I know some distance athletes that if they can save a lb of weight somewhere it means they can carry the weight in the form of peanut butter, Pringles or lard for an extra days worth of calories, hence they can go farther or harder. I don't know how that would translate into dog team/day/weight calories when calculating dog food, but I get not wanting to bring an extra 6-8 lbs of rifle in a race.

I have seen a mule deer stomp a dog that got too close to it's fawns, I can only imagine what a big moose could do.
Your point concerning the extra weight during training is valid, and something I hadn't picked up on.

And I am quite aware of the effects of an attack by cow elk during calving season. People have been killed in the Canadian National Parks after being attacked by cow elk protecting their young. The injuries resulting from such attacks are horrific.

For sure.

Your point concerning the extra weight during training is valid, and something I hadn't picked up on.

And I am quite aware of the effects of an attack by cow elk during calving season. People have been killed in the Canadian National Parks after being attacked by cow elk protecting their young. The injuries resulting from such attacks are horrific.
I agree

You bring a clarity not often seen to these discussions. Thank you for that.

Vince

On a similar note, another moose attack from a couple of days ago. Cool and calm 17 year old for sure.

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/03...s-moose-on-rampage-against-his-sled-dog-team/
I am glad father, son and dogs are all o.k.---but--I do not understand anyone who lives in moose and bear country and are training dogs, that dont own a gun, AND have it with them when in the woods working the dogs. I know this happened at their home, but if they had had a rifle with them on the training session, they could have eliminated a lot of mental and physical pain for the dogs, as well as themselves, as soon as they saw the moose stomping pups. I am just being honest when I tell you that if I returned home and a moose was stomping pups, the moose would be dinner. I would not have tried to chase it away, I would have shot it in defense of life and property. But, this was in the States and your laws may be different ?

Back