Moose ?

sask boy":2zxryn3v said:
Bud that is why I live south of Saskatoon the climate changes drastically right around Davidson :lol:
I always thought that the black flies and the misquiotes were made so we could learn to shoot on the fly :mrgreen:
I am will admit that BC has some beautiful scenery as I did spend as short period of time in Smithers and PG.
We have friends that just recently moved to Prince Rupert to pastor a church and they love it.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan if you ever come up through Terrace look me up. Prince Rupert can be nice but it can also rain a lot, great ocean fishing though. Which church are they at?

I drew a preference point for WY moose again! :evil:

FOTIS":2nzi6u1t said:
I drew a preference point for WY moose again! :evil:

...bummer, there's getting to be quite a few "stoopid" moose in the Snowy Range...

Bigbear, nice moose pics, i want just one 50 -60 " moose to mount then i'll go back to shooting the first moose that comes into a call. i have left 4 tags empty in the past in my prime draw location when i get it. Hopefully my last year of horn hunting moose with a gun. Even though with a bow i lower my expectations and yet still shoot my biggest to date bull of 44". It is always when i have no draw tag that i see the truley big ones, i have seen one pushing 70", at least 5 @ 60" and close to 8 or so at 50" in my years of hunting. :wink: :)

Guy

I hope you draw your moose tag this year, best of luck

BTW, I probably would take the 375, if we were leaving today on a moose hunt, as over the years I have found that moose are dead before they decide to lay down and they can find the worst places to lay down and die in. As I grow older, I prefer not dragging one out of a water hazard if at all possible LOL

if we were leaving today on a moose hunt, as over the years I have found that moose are dead before they decide to lay down and they can find the worst places to lay down and die in. As I grow older, I prefer not dragging one out of a water hazard if at all possible

+1

Moose have a terrible habit that when they are shot, they look around, analyzing the situation. They determine the most inaccessible location to expire and head straight for that location. If it involves water, and especially if the temperature is at or below zero, they plunge into the ice encrusted pond or freezing stream and promptly give up the ghost. If there is no miserable water to plunge into, a tumble down a steep escarpment to lie prostrate to ensure the greatest exertion of energies by the foolish individual who dared deliver the death blow. If there is no escarpment to roll down, the most miserable tangle of ground cover possible will suffice to make life difficult for the shooter. Ah, moose hunting, such a fine and pleasant misery.

DrMike":2bhmstpu said:
if we were leaving today on a moose hunt, as over the years I have found that moose are dead before they decide to lay down and they can find the worst places to lay down and die in. As I grow older, I prefer not dragging one out of a water hazard if at all possible

+1

Moose have a terrible habit that when they are shot, they look around, analyzing the situation. They determine the most inaccessible location to expire and head straight for that location. If it involves water, and especially if the temperature is at or below zero, they plunge into the ice encrusted pond or freezing stream and promptly give up the ghost. If there is no miserable water to plunge into, a tumble down a steep escarpment to lie prostrate to ensure the greatest exertion of energies by the foolish individual who dared deliver the death blow. If there is no escarpment to roll down, the most miserable tangle of ground cover possible will suffice to make life difficult for the shooter. Ah, moose hunting, such a fine and pleasant misery.

Amen. Shoot till they drop!!

Come-alongs, ATV winches and log skidders are your friends.

All my moose experiences were in Maine. Thick woods to clear cuts to Broccoli fields. As mentioned, they are approachable but not always. Their territorial instincts are their weakest link, that and their eyesight. I've seen them turn and skedaddle when hit and I've seen them rock on their front feet, shake their head, and slowly walk away as if they've just been told that there are no more seats for the show they've been standing in line for.

My friend's father was on one of our permits. He had the most experience as a guide so we always brought him along. One trip he packed the wrong gun case and he brought his 222Rem on the trip. Sure enough he had the only shot at a nice bull that year. I was with him, not hunting, when he fired. Perfect broadside shot. Sounded like someone hit the relief valve on a small air tank. Bull went 20 yds and lied down. :shock: Had a friend put 3 x 225gr .338WM Speer GS's into one small bull. Two shots were double lung exit shots and final shot was quartering away that ended up in far shoulder. He glided through 200 yds of the nastiest bog imaginable before expiring. Recovered bullet looked perfect. Took me a week to get clean after that night's recovery efforts.

Given what a Elk tag now runs a nonresident in Montana I'm thinking about putting in for a moose tag next year, or at least start building up some points towards one.

I got this one in southeast Alaska (Wrangell Mountains) with Terry Overly and pioneer outfitters. One shot at 150 yds with custom 300 win mag and 180 grain accubonds. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• alaska 077.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 276
  • alaska 085.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
  • alaska 098.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 276
  • alaska 071.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
  • alaska 103.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
Wow - nice moose! Congrats. That sure looks like a big bull to me.

You look a little, ah, tuckered out there in those photos...

Cool rifle - particularly with those fancy interrupted flutes. Zowie!

Hey guy, you read my face right. The moose died on a hill, while taking pictures he started to slide and im trying to hold him up. After that picture i had to jump out of the way before he slid another 15 feet. We finally rode into camp just after daylight the next morning. Got to see the northern lights during the horse ride back to camp. Trip of a lifetime for me! :mrgreen:

Back