Most fragile .224 bullet?

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
I'm looking for the most explosive bullet for my .223. What has your experience shown you?

The most "blow aparty" I've ever used is the Barnes Varmint Grenade. They really dismantle groundhogs when fired from a 22-250. Before that V-max and blitzking both did fine for a lot less cash. Of those 2 the v-max seemed more fragile. All my experience is with a 22-250, so faster or slower cartridges may prefer softer/stouter respectively. I do have some 50 v-max loaded for the 223 that are wicked accurate with 26 gr of benchmark, just haven't put one in a critter.

Last edited:
I totally agree with hunter 24605 that the Barnes VG is the most explosive and the VMax taking 2nd place. I was shooing them out of my 22-250 1:14 twist but have pretty much retired that rifle when I got my Tikka varmint 223 with the 1:8 twist barrel. The 36gr VG and the 40gr VMax are deadly out of the Tikka with CFE223. They vaporize gophers but don't wreck coyote pelts in my experience. I shot 1 coyote at 68 yards and there was only a small entry/exit but he was jelly inside.

An in-expensive alternate is the 50 or 55 gr spsx Hornady. (SX for super explosive) These bullets both designed around 222 and 223 velocities. Often a 22-250 will turn them into a molten mass of copper/lead.

The 55gr(what I have used for years) Hornady SPSX bullet is the most explosive I have used. More than the V-Max or Varmint Grenades. I cannot use the SX bullets in Calif anymore and use the VG bullets(36 and 50gr) but the VG do not explode the ground squirrels like the SX bullets do. I use them in a couple of 223/5.56 rifles and a pistol

The old Reminton Powerlokt HP had thin plated jackets and deliver excellent accuracy in my rifles. Tried them in a fast twist 223 and they would come apart before traveling 100 yards, but they were devistating when fired fired from a 10 twist barrel.

I have used Hornady V-Max 53gr, Sierra 50gr Blitz King and Nosler 40gr BT and I really think for explosive effect, It made more of effect where I hit the Prairie Dog. Center punch one they all seem to work great. But for now for I am settling in on Hornady’s 53gr V-Max in .223 Rem Because of accuracy I’m getting.

An in-expensive alternate is the 50 or 55 gr spsx Hornady. (SX for super explosive) These bullets both designed around 222 and 223 velocities. Often a 22-250 will turn them into a molten mass of copper/lead.
They came apart on the way to the target in my valmet 412 223/12ga. they made it 60-70 yards, but just shrapnel hit the 100 yard target.

Years ago I had an interesting conversation with an FBI agent about varmint bullets. He wasn't aware that the more frangible ones completely disintegrate on contact or within a few inches of penetration.

He was somewhat concerned that these bullets are quite common and in wide use. His big concern was forensics after a shooting, that not enough would be left of the bullet for comparison to a specific firearm. I assured him that no, in many cases there would not be enough bullet jacket remaining for a comparison to any barrel. He was a bit disturbed by that and wasn't sure if he ought to believe me... :)

Guy

Years ago I had an interesting conversation with an FBI agent about varmint bullets. He wasn't aware that the more frangible ones completely disintegrate on contact or within a few inches of penetration.

He was somewhat concerned that these bullets are quite common and in wide use. His big concern was forensics after a shooting, that not enough would be left of the bullet for comparison to a specific firearm. I assured him that no, in many cases there would not be enough bullet jacket remaining for a comparison to any barrel. He was a bit disturbed by that and wasn't sure if he ought to believe me... :)

Guy
Guy,
Funny you mention this because I was thinking the same thought.

JD338

Ya, my mind went straight to a well suppressed high velocity, accurate as sin 22-250, with some really frangible bullets.

But, that's kinda where my mind goes. Cop stuff. Military stuff. Ballistics stuff. :)

Guy

Back