Motherload

Thanks Guy.
For some reason I always thought that the Northwest was far wetter than you are alluding to.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Oldtrader3":3ewvt2gz said:
Seattle spreads that 36 inches of rain over about 150 days.
Crikey!
I can't swim but I got water wings. :)

I think that revolver's perfect for your purpose, Vince. Worn just enough that you wouldn't mind carrying it as a backup. I think I'd just keep a light coat of a good preservative on it and enjoy it.

You've had some of the same stuff I've had. I've had an 18, a 27, a 28, a couple of 57s, a 66, and a 1955 Target very briefly. I'm definitely a Smith fan!

I have also owned a pack of Smith's and still have Model 317, 331 and 60. Plus other brands.

Vince":259qcbv8 said:
Thanks Guy.
For some reason I always thought that the Northwest was far wetter than you are alluding to.

Vince

Some of it, coastal mostly, is very, very wet.

Like Seattle with 36" of rain annually.

And the Olympics with 150" of precip annually...

I'm on the "dry side" of the Cascades. Often called the Cascade Curtain - most of the rain & snow fall on the west side, and up near the crest. Stays nice and dry over here most of the time.

I'd leave your "new" revolver alone, just clean & lube it and shoot the heck out of it! :mrgreen:

Guy

Most of my time in the Northwest was in the rainy country and the time that wasn't was short.

Vince, I do live on the wet side. And other than my Glocks and the Jarrett, none of my guns have special coatings. My duty 1911 survived just fine. I vote for keeping it original condition.
A quick geography lesson for those who have yet to visit Oregon and Washington. The cascade mountains run the length of both states, two thirds of both states are east of the Cascades. The east side is generally described as high desert. The west side is wet, foggy, cloudy etc. As well as being home to probably 2/3 or more of each states population. The wet 1/3 is decidedly blue, the dry 2/3 brilliantly red.

salmonchaser":3iil5fv0 said:
Vince, I do live on the wet side. And other than my Glocks and the Jarrett, none of my guns have special coatings. My duty 1911 survived just fine. I vote for keeping it original condition.
A quick geography lesson for those who have yet to visit Oregon and Washington. The cascade mountains run the length of both states, two thirds of both states are east of the Cascades. The east side is generally described as high desert. The west side is wet, foggy, cloudy etc. As well as being home to probably 2/3 or more of each states population. The wet 1/3 is decidedly blue, the dry 2/3 brilliantly red.
Now that I reflect on it your summation is spot on.

My Smith's are SS or titanium cylinder but all my other handguns are blued steel. I live on the wet side of Washington as well but a fire rod for my gun safe helps keep rust away.

OK, maybe I worry too much about it. :)

I'm going to load up a bunch of the old Remington Police load, 210 grain lead SWC, and start packing it.

That should work!

BTW, years ago I heard about a tough old cop who had been in a number of gunfights during his years of service. He was a big fan of .41 & .44 mag revolvers, and even more so of the .45 ACP semi-autos.

I seem to remember a story about him dropping a bad guy with the .41 mag in a vicious gun battle... Sorry I can't come up with more details than that, but it's been a long time since I heard any cop/.41 mag stories... Sort of faded... The point was, he had considerable real-world experience, and totally believed in big bullets.

Guy

I know a tough old school cop that was in gunfights with multiple calibers ranging from. 9 to 45. He never cared for the 44 and his favorite is the 357 Sig.

Guy,

FYI, bloke I know went federal but has over thirty years behind the badge. He started life as a patrolman before moving to homicide / narcotics for a department in North Carolina before going federal. Could we maybe be thinking of the same person?

Vince

9e5cfa286a4ccadafc26d61e2342294a.jpg

Hornady 210 grain JHP traveling about 1150 fps.

I worked up a new load for this using IMR 4227 and the Hornady XTP to slow it down to about 1050 FPS.
This better replicates the old police load and gives me faster follow up shots than the .357 Magnum with full house loads. It's also a very accurate load in my gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":1fcr57yu said:
Guy,

FYI, bloke I know went federal but has over thirty years behind the badge. He started life as a patrolman before moving to homicide / narcotics for a department in North Carolina before going federal. Could we maybe be thinking of the same person?

Vince

No - this fellow did his entire law enforcement career here in Washington State. There's more "gunfighter" cops out there than commonly known.

Guy

Back