Mountain hunting gear??

[quote="Blkram"
Quickly changing weather, layers, rain Gera and be prepared for unexpected early snows
Watch weather forecasts and alerts
Be prepared to spend the night on the mountain (tent, food & water, and fire starting materials) or be prepared to hike out in the dark

Exactly!!!!

I mentioned this in my first post on this thread. we always assume we may need to set up a spike camp or we may want to, especially if someone is staying at the base camp to watch things, we may not want to go back---but, also, you may not be able to get back. You might take this suggestion better from a man than a girl and that is o.k. with me, as long as you leave camp assuming you might not be back that night. Your never to old to be a good Boy Scout--be prepared

YH - it's absolutely true. Mountain weather can change fast, and dramatically.

"Be Prepared" words to live by.

Guy

Huntress, I only listen to people that have experience and I know you have it. I will listen to your words. Thanks

Cabelas 6 Person Guide Series or your tent of choice. Backpack Kelty 4 man tent.
0 degree sleeping bag ( Per Person ) plus bag silk liner.
Mattress Pad (Per person) two straps to hold in place when sleeping.
military cot (Per person)
Hatchet, Axe,sand shovel,chain saw.
Emergency Kit (emergency blanket, tarp, matches, compass, first aid kit) plus Mole Skin.
1 Nalgene water bottles (per person) or Couple cases of bottle water, or water bladder in pack. plus 5 gallons water for cooking
2 Hiking poles (Per person)
10x50 binoculars (1 set per person)
Spotting Scope with tripod
Range Finder.
Gun 1 or 2 (partner brings additional gun) with Bikini scope cover.
2 boxes bullets 40 total shells (per person )
Frame Pack (Per person)) I use Eberleatock Just One, something for packing out Meat.
Day Pack for every day hunting big enough to carry my coat & items.
Rented Satellite phone w/ extra battery and phone numbers. I don't do this in lower 48 states.
2 tarps
1 Coleman stove (uses 1lb propane) I use one with white gas.
1 Coleman Lantern, 1gallon total white gas it will last 9 days if stove & lantern are full to begin.
1 backpack stove and 2 bottles fuel if you want hot lunch.
3 Lighters plus wood Match's they work better at starting campfire and stoves and gas lantern.
1 Water purifiers for back pack hunts only, I carry water bottles 2- 16oz when hunting from truck
Kitchen kit (bowls, plates, spoon, cup, fork, knife, pots, pans, rag) Paper Plates when truck camping.
Dish Soap. Don't have to do when truck camping use Paper plates & Bowl's
Duck tape (1 rolls) Electric Tape (1 roll )
Trash bags (10 count)
2 camp lawn chairs as one always breaks trust me.
3 knifes
Hitch Master w/100ft rope (pulley system) lot of rope never hurts.
Small lantern for tent battery type
Small Mr. Buddy Heater plus 4 propane bottles, I only have on getting up and when getting to bed.
Small folding table
Towels for bathing. Camper body wash with out water & shampoo type without water.
Watch with alarm or cell phone
Spare AA batteries & AAA or what ever you need
GPS plus Map and Compass and pin on compass for on jacket, I use this all the time.
Packable fishing rod/ with spinners, Optional
Kill Kit Alaska Game bags, gloves, and but out tool, I thought this was gimmick but it really works.
Rain Jacket (Per person)
Game calls
5 pairs of wool socks (Per person) I figure one pair ever two days of hunting.
2 pairs Wool base layers (Per person)
2 pairs of wool boxer briefs (Per person)
2 pairs of pants waterproof (Per person). I do believe in waterproof pants.
Wool sweater (Per person)
Fleece vest (Per person) or I prefer Down Vest blaze orange
Jacket Waterproof and retreated with Camp Dry (Per person)
Cabelas Hip boots (Per person). Wiggle Waders if you need to cross water like deep creek.
Leather boots(Per person) I also take slip over rubbers for boots short style.
Hiking boots are my travel shoes & camp shoes.
1 pair Gaters I wear these every day. Buy Quite type so you don't make noise walking !
Winter coat (Per person) Blaze Orange I would not hunt without it.
Winter bibs (Per person). I don't use these as I layer my clothing.
Facemask (Per person)
Neck gaiter (Per person)
3 pairs of gloves at least 1 pair waterproof (Per person) I like leather deer skin gloves if not raining.
Hats 2 (Per person) Plus one stocking hat
200ft of 550 paracord
Bear Fence If you think you need it. I never have in lower 48 states.
4 water proof bags for gear/clothing. I use Contractor Plastic trash bags
Waterproof Camera w/ extra SD card, I use Smart Phone.
Headlamp plus one maglight AAA single battery light. I believe in spare light !
Small plastic sled I use roll up type.
Baby wipes/Toilet Paper
Chap Stick one for you and one to sell to friend for $50 when he forgets his.
Nu-Skin for blisters/ Mole Skin
1. 5-gallon bucket with Luckey Lou Toilet lid.
Tire chains for truck and several wood blocks for jacking up truck if you get stuck.

I could not find my list but here is someone else's list. I did adjust a little for what I take.
Like others when hunting out of base camp from truck I have my wife make containers of 1 gallon potato salad, and a couple cold salads, one fruit cut up in throw away containers.
We cook on a outdoor grill Hamburgers,fish in tin foil, steaks,brats,hot dogs Ect. By campfire.
For breakfast just boil water for instant coffee & oatmeal. Lunch sandwich or backpack meal.
I like Paper Plates the best you can get not flimsy, because everything that burn goes into campfire except metal like cans. I leave no trash when I leave my camp ground and usually end up packing out other people's trash.
I always have a paper filled out for wife where we are hunting Trail head name or campground plus phone numbers of Local Sheriff & Game Warden for area hunting.
Have a Great Trip

Don't cheap out on what you buy! Especially footwear,sleeping bag & pad and tent.Because of where we hike into where we hunt in Montana we pack only what we need. I'm still using a Magellan Sportrack GPS and I carry topo maps and a compass in my daypack. Most of my gear is going on 10 years old and has held up great.

I would invest in a good back pack with an internal frame like Eberlestock or Mystery ranch. They will carry what you need for the days hunt, or if you have to spend the night and they open up to allow you to pack your animal off the mountain. IMO there is no reason to haul some meat off the mountain and have to come back with a pack frame. I've done what you are thinking many years ago and will never do it again. When I get to my kill I have everything I need to take care of the animal and get it out.

It's already been mentioned but I'll say it again get an internal frame for your tent. Set up is easy and can be done by 1 person if needed. You can buy the angles at any good tent shop and make the poles yourself out of EMT conduit. Set you tent up way ahead of time to be sure everything fits as it should and make adjustments as needed. Color code the ends of the poles/angles with different colored ductape so all you have to do is match up the colors on the different poles with the color on the angles and your done.

I built a couple of these hangers that mount on the internal frame, great for drying gear or just getting cloths out of the way.

test010.jpg

I always bring a chainsaw and splitting maul for fire wood. Also bring a head lamp or 2 with plenty of batteries.

Lots of excellent advise. I'll try not to duplicate anything if possible and add a couple things that I always make sure I have.

1. Kahtoola Microspikes - http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/ These things are amazing in a skiff of snow or a foot of snow. You cannot imagine how much surer of foot you will be! You do not slip and slide like you do without them and you use a lot less energy in doing so. Instead of two steps forward and a half step back, it two steps forward and that is it!

2. Scent free baby wipes. Really great to have a box in the truck and a box in the tent. I put 10-20 wipes in my pack and they are great after gutting an animal to wipe your arms, knives, face, etc. Also very nice to make sure you get clean after going to the bathroom. Lots of benefits from that alone, but you get the idea.

3. Chain saw and splitting maul as mentioned are great. I like to have a couple plastic containers of BBQ briquette fluid along to make fire starting a lot less trouble at the end of the day and it expedites things. I know it's not tough to start a fire, but it sure helps when it's wet or snowy and bitter cold.

4. Extra gloves. If you are truck camping I would take several different pairs so the wet ones have a chance to dry out so they can be used again. Gloves always seem to get wet really easily for me and part of that is my hands sweat so much. I'd take different gloves for varied conditions. Lighter gloves for warmer weather. My hands typically are pretty warm and I don't wear gloves unless it's really cold out.

5. Good sleeping pad. To be used whether sleeping on a cot or on the ground in the tent. Goes a long way to helping keep you warm at night. A wool cap sure helps keep your head and the rest of your body warm at night too when you are sleeping.

6. Jumper cables - a couple tow straps - 1 or 2 come-along's if you don't have a winch on your pickup. Even if you do the come-along's sure can come in handy and help get unstuck! A decent short handle shovel. A little shoveling can go a long way in helping free you in a tough situation. I cannot recommend the tow straps that are like an extra large bungee cord enough here. Man those things are great. You can get slack in the strap and gun it and go, and when you hit the end of the strap it will slow your rig down and eventually you come to a stop. It will even pull your vehicle back a few feet if you really hit it hard. The amount of pull that you were able to generate is so much more than a hard dead pull with a chain or a regular tow strap. A couple shackles to securely hook the tow straps are needed also. I would have a couple of the regular tow straps along in addition to the other type. These things are light and do not take up a lot of room.

7. Extra batteries for everything from headlamps, GPS, lantern, camera, and other items are well worth taking.

8. Folding camp chairs & maybe a tarp so that you can make a cover over your fire, cooking, eating area. Helps keep you dry and the rain and snow off everything. If you have some waterproof nylon camper rug or similar item, it's sure nice to have say a 4x10' piece out in front of your tent so you have a place where you can take your boots off before going inside the tent so you don't drag snow and much inside. This stuff is easy to shake off when it gets dirty or snow covered.

9. Small tool box in your pickup with just a few basic items such as pliers, screw drivers, crescent wrenches, small hammer, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

For starting a fire in the stove I hook my weed burner up to our 5 gallon propane tank and let that sucker blast, starts a fire quick fast and in a hurry wet or dry wood.

Back