mounts

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Quick question:
what are the best mounts? I have used leopold and control (sp?)...

this is for a custom magnum rifle and a swaro scope.
thanks,
Hardpan

IMO you can not beat the Leopold. You can pay a lot more but you are not going to get a stronger system. Just remember to use gun tight or blue lock tight on your screws for your base.

hardpan, I've used Leupold. Burris, conetrol and a host of other mounts over the years but I started using warne mounts and will stay with them as they are "Rock" solid. I have a Zeiss scope with Warne mounts on my .338 Ultramag and had never had a seconds worth of problems.

BK,
I have not had any problems with either. The conetrol mounts are the best lookign mounts that I have ever used. I asked the question more to understand if there were better mounts than what i had.

For Leupold, i have had an issue with the mounts not being high enough, and then having to buy higher ones. They come in several heights.
Hardpan

I don't have any, but I too like the Conetrols. When I do my .280 Ackley build I think that's what I'll use.

And I find the old ad that the've been using since the Eisenhower administration strangely appealing! :grin:

I have started going to the Warne mounts and rings also. I really like them, they seem very well made and they do not budge on any of my rifles or T/C Encore handgun.

Leupolds and conetrols are great. Lately I have been using Tallyes....

I used to just buy conventional JR type Leupold mounts, but then I discovered their Dual Dovetail system. Unfortunately, it's available only for a limited range of models. Burris also has their own version which I would assume is just as good and strong.

In the event I cannot use a dual dovetail type of mount, I'll go with a Weaver-style mount and put nice rings on it (Weaver rings just ain't purty) such as Burris Zee rings. I tried some Warne rings last time I mounted a scope on a new rifle, and they have worked out just fine too.

I have decided that a conventional windage adjustable JR type mount is junk. The rear ring provides little, if any strength, and the whole setup just makes torquing a scope tube all the more likely.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I use Leupold mounts and rings and have never had a problem with them.

JD338

In the last century I decided to standardize on the Talley mounts and rings, and I am not sorry to have done that. I have used both their steel products and the aluminum.

Recommended.

jim

Over the decades I have used the Beuhler, Weaver and many others including the Signatures. Someone gave me a pair of Talley alum mounts and I can't see why they are popular.

I will take the Weaver system overall.

HunterJim":17jjp2u0 said:
In the last century I decided to standardize on the Talley mounts and rings, and I am not sorry to have done that. I have used both their steel products and the aluminum.

Recommended.

jim

Oh yeah! Garry Rox!

Pop,

I have an account at Talley; almost as bad as my Buy With One-Click" amazon.com account...jim

Back