MRX, vs. AB

Bigwheels

Beginner
Sep 17, 2006
Hi, all. I'm thinking of trying some 225 MRX in my 338 WM. I'm curious if anyone has compared them directly with the 225 AB. Are they longer? Were you able to get them to the same velocity? Accuracy?
Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is almost impossible to find a hunting bullet that has a better BC than the than the .338 225 AB! I would suspect that the MRX would lag quite a bit in the BC department, as all Barns bullets tend to do when compared to ABs. If my reasoning is correct they would be shorter than the AB because of they are filled with a heavy lead type metal in the rear portion of the bullet. Plus the MRXs are VERY spendy. I'm switching back to the 225 AB from the 225 TSX in my 338 WM for the better BC, better price, and I like supporting a local business.

I am with you JMAD. I like the Barnes, but the Accubonds look fast! I am thinking once I start working with my 338 I will go with the 225 or maybe the 250 for an all around load for the 338. I would think a 250 with a .588BC and SD of over .300 would be excellent for anything in North America. Scotty

I'm not diss'n the AB. I love them. I tryed the 250 AB a while ago, but I couldn't get it going fast enough to out perform the 225. I see the MRX is spendy, & it's posted BC isn't as good, but I might be able to get more velocity with them due to less bearing surface, & more case capacity from a shorter bullet. I was thinking the same for the new 250 MRX. Maybe I can get them going 2800fps with the reduced bearing surface. Also, I was thinking of having a proven load for when they bann ALL LEAD bullets. If I have to switch I want the MRX, OR..I'd realy like to try the XP-3....Nosler.Can we see those for reloading, & maybe a 225-250gr for my .338? :grin:

The question of the XP3's has been asked before for reloaders... and its no. It would be nice or to have the CT Accubonds.

As for the MRX - expensive bullet. I use the 225gr Accubonds in my 338-06AI but have some 225 TTSX's to try.

As for the Accubonds, I love them. They shoot and perform awesome at the range and on big game, its what I use in my 300WMand 270WSM also. Traded off my TSX's for both calibers for more Accubonds.

jmad_81

Have you tried the 338 cal 250 gr AB, BC of .575?
It is an awesome bullet. :wink:

JD338

I looked at it and havn't made up my mind yet. Should be ablle to get 2750ish from a 26" tube. I know I can get at least 2850 with the 225 AB. I just need to look at the ballistic charts and energy tabels. My 375 R shoots the 260 Abs pretty good so I really don't need the power of the 250 but we'll see.

jmad_81

I'm running the 250 gr AB at 2950 fps in my 338 RUM, accuracy is sub ..5 MOA. This is the bullet I am using from this point forward. Worked pretty good on a WT this past fall, dropped him in his tracks and he never moved.
338RUM250grABa-1.jpg

338RUM250grAB412.jpg

Spike111608a.jpg

JD338

I tried the 250 AB in my 338 WM, & could only get them to 2775 +/-. I can get the 225 to 2900. Checking the ballistics the only thing I'll gain with the 250 is 100 ft/lbs, but sacrifice velocity, & flat trajectory, so I decided to stick with the 225's. Now If I could get the 250 MRX to go faster than the 250 AB, then I may switch. I'm also very happy with the AB since it shoots 3" groups @ 500 yds. The MRX would have to equal that too.

Bigwheels

Nice shooting load you have there. You should be good to go for anything in North America.

JD338

Hi!
I have my opinions on the matter. Just opinions.
There is nothing like lead to hold velocity and expand If we get into a discussion about alternatives then the MRX comes into the picture. Just so there is no question about the differences here are the facts.
There are good alternatives to lead. The trouble is that nothing has been spent on studying and comparing the alternatives. The Barnes bullets are there just out of chance and have benefitted. They are the only alternatives to a very poorly thought out law. Kind of like steel shot before heavy shot and Bismouth. I have to admit that the shooting arms industry hasn't spent any time planning on the lead ban so this is going to catch many of us off guard. I, as many, have gone to Barnes TSX for an immediate cure. Our country is going through some major changes and the outcome is up to conjecture. At some point we are going to do what we can with what's available . Dear God protect us and God Bless the U.S.A. We are your last hope.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Thanks guys. I've always been able to tune my BOSS to get sub MOA out of this rifle. I have a 6 rnd slow fire group @ 750 yds that is on a 6" X 8" note book paper. That was done with 250 SGK's. But when I loaded them out of the mag, the tips deformed real bad from recoil, so I tried the 225 AB's. I tried the 250's, but @ the velocity I got, they wouldn't equal the 225's to my satisfaction. I'm always looking for something better, even tho it may be futile. I'd like to have a load ready for if they ban lead here in Wa. We're fighting one attempt right now.

Bigwheels":2xhjkgte said:
OR..I'd realy like to try the XP-3....Nosler.Can we see those for reloading, & maybe a 225-250gr for my .338? :grin:

We do not make the XP-3s. Reloaders are our bread and butter so we always offer the bullets we make for ammunition for reloading. The CT AccuBonds are the one exception and that's only because they are a joint effort by Winchester and us, you can however find AccuBonds with red tips every once in a while in the pro shop. :grin:

JusMo
So the Accubonds with the red tips are CT Accubonds. Is that the case in every caliber? Next question is what, if any, is the difference between CT and standard Accubonds? I feel a little uninformed on something I thought I was pretty knowlegeble about. I guess I don't buy loaded ammo often enough :oops:

Greg,

The CT and the AB are the same bullet. Nosler puts the red polycarbonate tip in and ships to Winchester, who adds the Lubalox coating for their ammunition.
Sometimes there are red tipped AB's available as seconds. The red tips shoot just as well as the white tips.

JD338

JD338":2tjmlxtp said:
Greg,

The CT and the AB are the same bullet. Nosler puts the red polycarbonate tip in and ships to Winchester, who adds the Lubalox coating for their ammunition.
Sometimes there are red tipped AB's available as seconds. The red tips shoot just as well as the white tips.

JD338

Yep. I have several bags of AB 2nds in several calibers that have the red tip instead of the AB white tip.

JD338":46czh6vw said:
Greg,

JD338

That is exactly correct.

Thank You Jim and JusMo. I bought some seconds in 7MM 260 gr. and I was wringing my hands in delight thinking I had something special. :lol:
Just in case anybody missed it: The AccuBond bullet is the absolute, hands down, best bullet ever created for hunting non dangerous game!!! It may be for dangerous game too but so far non of the elk have charged me so I can't say from experience. While I'm in my (shmooz mode) Is there any chance that a 350 gr. 458 AccuBond bullet might be at least a thought and of course the obligatory 416 bullet in 325 + or- grs. for Pop?

Back