Mule Deer

laker

Beginner
Jun 25, 2006
This is the buck i got last weekend with my .257 weatherby mag. He is 24 inches wide and 23 inches tall.
deer21.jpg
[/img]

Good lookin buck there. How far was he and what bullet was used?? Just curious. I've always wanted a 257 WM but they cost so much money and brass and powder and everything consumed, I just went with a 25-06 instead. I have had nothing but great success with the 25-06 taking everything from pdogs to black bears and everything inbetween out to 600 yards. Now you can buy the vagaurd in 257 WM but only 24" tube, in my opinion that totally defies the purpose of owning a 257 WM. They shoulda made that rifle with a 26" barrel, but the only reason they didn't was because everyone would be buying the cheaper rifle and not getting there MK5 sold. Stupid idea in my opinoin. If they woulda made that rifle w/ 26" tube, I woulda been in line to get one. On a sidenote, one of my buddys bought the same rifle and he is happy with it. Dont know what velocity hes getting yet, but the accuracy is ok. Anyways, sorry to ramble on. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Awesome job! Congrats.

Remmy:

even with a 24" barrel the 257 Bee can do over 3400 with a 110 AccuBond with rl 22 and 25. Not too bad.

On my trip to SE Montana this fall, I saw several good bucks just east of Miles City. Looks like you got a nice one also.

remingtonman_25_06":1bki3d00 said:
Good lookin buck there. How far was he and what bullet was used?? Just curious. I've always wanted a 257 WM but they cost so much money and brass and powder and everything consumed, I just went with a 25-06 instead. I have had nothing but great success with the 25-06 taking everything from pdogs to black bears and everything inbetween out to 600 yards. Now you can buy the vagaurd in 257 WM but only 24" tube, in my opinion that totally defies the purpose of owning a 257 WM. They shoulda made that rifle with a 26" barrel, but the only reason they didn't was because everyone would be buying the cheaper rifle and not getting there MK5 sold. Stupid idea in my opinoin. If they woulda made that rifle w/ 26" tube, I woulda been in line to get one. On a sidenote, one of my buddys bought the same rifle and he is happy with it. Dont know what velocity hes getting yet, but the accuracy is ok. Anyways, sorry to ramble on. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

I've got one of those shorty Vanguards in 257 wby. With today's powders, I easily get in excess of 3600 fps out of it with a 100 gr TSX. I also have a 25-06AI I built, fact is, the 257 wby out of a 24 inch barrel, easily outperforms my 25-06AI. Remember, you can always rebarrel later to a 26 inch barrel if that is your desire. The Howa 1500 action is one of the best out there.

In most rifles, you typically only loose 20-30 fps per inch of barrel. Most believe you lose 50-100 fps, but I dont find that to be true. Neither do custom rifle makers.

Back