Muzzle velocity question

I saw around $500 as a price for Labradar but I don't remember where. It might have been on their website.
I've yet to see one and want the bugs worked out before I pluck down my money.

Guy Miner":2ovvwajs said:
SJB358":2ovvwajs said:
Man, I'd just like to have a spot to shoot that far.

Move west young man.

+1!!!! Lot's of good places to shoot 1,000+ yards in CO! 10 min. from my house! :grin: There is even a range with pits in Hotchkiss with firing lines from 200-1,900 yards! Plus, it has every other shooting sport; trap, skeet, CBA, IDPA, High Power, F-class, pistol pit, 3D archery course. . . my fiance limits me to one trip a month there :cry: Apparently I get too distracted and am harder to get to leave there than a toddler in a McDonald's play place. . . I think she exaggerated a bit :roll:

That is a great range though. Plus, good elk hunting in CO :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":2hlsfwry said:
usmc 89":2hlsfwry said:
That is world record type shooting, sell your chronograph.

Yes. I'd like to see you seriously give long-range competition a try with that rifle. Either F-Class prone or benchrest... If you can produce similar size groups in competition, you just might set some records and win some medals & trophies...

Worth a thought.

Guy

Guy,
I'm planning on it. Have been wanting to for awhile now but the last year and a half I've either been in the Academy or on ftep. Finally to a point where I have a little time again. Hoping to shoot the jc steel challenge and maybe kettle falls this next year. Don't think our range does f class but I'll have to check around and see if anything is close by!

And I'm planning on going out testing that load again to make sure it wasn't a fluke! Pretty exciting though.

Elkman":147y3b3z said:
Man, I'd just like to have a spot to shoot that far.

I would like to be able to hit a Volkswagen at that distance. That would make me happy. !!!!!
I'd be happy just to see the target at that distance.
I'm happy with that size group at half that distance. I got a long way to go before I give you a run for the money. Guy is right, sell everything and go win some gold!

That's right mike
I wish I could hear again too....
Ah to see and hear like a young man..

FOTIS":21up1tiw said:
I do not like them. I test for accuracy and velocity at the same time. With the magneto it hangs at the end of the barrel thus altering harmonics.

I use my Shooting Chrony for development purposes, and the MagnetoSpeed for final data. Interestingly enough, the times I have used the MagnetoSpeed it shows that the Shooting Chrony really isn't that bad of a unit. Of course, sunny days screw up the data so I do have to be careful about weather conditions when I use it. That's one benefit of the MagnetoSpeed - it works in any weather.

For your curiosity, I ran QL. Would need your cartridge OAL, H2O capacity of case, centerline of bore to scope distance and atmospherics for more precise result.
But with info provided and assumptions based on std oal 2.80", case capaity 53.5gr H2o, scope height 1.70" at sea level QL, results are as follows

MV 2886fps
71,292psi
108% fill
99.68% pwder burnt

1000yds
285" drop based on 100yd zero or 7.92mils

Max load for a 140 according to Hodgdon:
42.0 2,677 fps, 58,800 PSI

Max load for a 140 Berger, according to Berger:
41.1 2696 fps

I see quite a few loads show up here on the Nosler forum, that I suspect are "over pressure."

But people swear by 'em. What can I say?

Regards, Guy

Thanks for running that. Scope height is 1.905", the barometer was at 30.07, 3600' elevation, 70 degrees, COAL 2.9", haven't measured the h2o capacity of the case. I know that I had to send my Wilson dies in to be bored out because fired cases wouldn't fit in them. So I'm guessing case capacity is a little more than normal. I know that with this load I can still here powder rattling in the case when loaded.

Guy,
I'm well aware I'm pushing the limit on this load. But I worked up to it and never got any pressure signs from the gun until just over this load where I got a slightly sticky bolt lift and a faint ejector mark. Primers still looked good. I don't like to run max loads for most of my guns but with this one being a long range rig the extra velocity makes a difference and it turned out to be one heck of an accurate load! So far I've gotten 4 reloads out of this set of brass with no issues.

Well Shoot_5, with new input data QL's results are;

MV 2845
66,566 psi :|
@ 1,000yds
1581fps
281.6" drop (7.88mils)

That's all pretty dang close to what you're experiencing. I have found that some of the things QL can't calculate are the effect of primers and bullet jump. The properties of powder can be adjusted but I'm not that smart so I don't mess with it. I do sometimes play with adjusting the burn rate while trying to reach a node but then I usually feel like I'm chasing my tail. :? I don't know what to offer you on the pressure other than QL is only a program based on the info it has, powder properties supplied by their respective companies or their own testing which can vary from lot to lot which I have found can change things.

Good luck with your load I hope it will continue to serve you well :)

That looks pretty close to what I'm seeing. Thanks for running that. Pressure is still a little high but I think I can live with it! I figure if the gun and the brass aren't complaining about the pressure than why should I!

Back