My 30-06 was a real performer today.

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I went to the range today with a friend of mine from North Ala. He drove down and we had a great day of shooting. My 30-06 Mark V Custom really stood out today. I shot my hunting load 165gr Sierra HPBT moving at 2933fps and also finally perfected the 150gr GS HV load moving at 3095fps.

165gr Sierra HPBT, 59grs H4350, Win Brass, Fed 210 primers
IMG_7984.jpg

IMG_7985.jpg

150gr GS HV, 53grs IMR4350, Nosler Custom brass, Fed 215 mag primers
IMG_7987.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

If you ever, ever sell it I got dibs!!!!!!!

THERE I CALLED IT! :lol:

bullet,

Nice shooting, .226" should get it where it needs to be. :lol:

JD338

Thanks guys, it is there for the GS HV Custom but it took the smaller capacity Nosler Custom 06 brass to bring out the velocity and accuracy with the IMR4350. Winchester and Remington brass just did not cut it.

bullet":3e2j74h1 said:
Thanks guys, it is there for the GS HV Custom but it took the smaller capacity Nosler Custom 06 brass to bring out the velocity and accuracy with the IMR4350. Winchester and Remington brass just did not cut it.

So do I have dibs?

049.gif

071.gif

Great job bullet. Pop and I will have to bid on it...lol. You're definetely there with the GS's and the gamekings. Those velocities exceed the ackley and are approaching the H&H mag. WOW what a rifle and a heck of a shooter. That will surely flatten out the '06. :grin: :grin:

POP":1mphtcyk said:
bullet":1mphtcyk said:

So do I have dibs?

049.gif

071.gif

Do I here an antelope hunt being set up for me :wink: :wink: :wink:

GB300wm":3na57sxv said:
Great job bullet. Pop and I will have to bid on it...lol. You're definetely there with the GS's and the gamekings. Those velocities exceed the ackley and are approaching the H&H mag. WOW what a rifle and a heck of a shooter. That will surely flatten out the '06. :grin: :grin:

Thanks Jerry and yes it is approaching the 300H&H velocities with conventional bullets.

bullet":3pkcav2u said:
POP":3pkcav2u said:
bullet":3pkcav2u said:

So do I have dibs?

049.gif

071.gif

Do I here an antelope hunt being set up for me :wink: :wink: :wink:

Done!

Great work !
I have 2, 30,06s. But neither shoot that well. My old customized JC-Higgens shoots real well though, I want to find a box or 2 of those HP sierra bullets.
I have 3 ,308s and they all shoot really well.
Great calibers those 2.
Do you plan a load for 180 grain bullets ?
I like 165s myself, But I have a good stock pyle of 180 grain partitions and the group very well from that old Higgins so if i take an 06 after elk that is the way I will go.
You certainly have a keeper there.
You say its a MK-5 Custom. What have you done to it ?
...thanks ...tj3006

tjRoberts":31ec07hy said:
Great work !
I have 2, 30,06s. But neither shoot that well. My old customized JC-Higgens shoots real well though, I want to find a box or 2 of those HP sierra bullets.
I have 3 ,308s and they all shoot really well.
Great calibers those 2.
Do you plan a load for 180 grain bullets ?
I like 165s myself, But I have a good stock pyle of 180 grain partitions and the group very well from that old Higgins so if i take an 06 after elk that is the way I will go.
You certainly have a keeper there.
You say its a MK-5 Custom. What have you done to it ?
...thanks ...tj3006

Yes, I have loads for this 06 for 150's, 165's, 168's, 180's, 190's, 200's, 220' 240's and 250's (almost out of my 250gr original barnes bullets). You might say I like the 30-06 :)

Yes, this was a Mark V Synthetic that I had the stock replaced with a B&C Medalist stock, bedded and the trigger tuned. It impoved my group size by 1/4" at 100yds, it was a shooter before I had the work done and that is why I had it done becaue it was already a shoot with a great chamber and barrel. It weighs with the scope, bases and rings 7.6 pounds total. It is my mountain rifle for spot and stalk hunting becasue of it's weight and really my go to rifle.

Absolutely beautiful, Bullet :grin: .30-06 was the first cartridge I seriously loaded for myself & I still load it for my brother using H4350, Fed. 215 mag primers & the 165 Hornady Interbond :? Can't talk him into using the AB like I do in my 7mm RUM, but it shoots good for him :)

bobbyrum":2216yq6b said:
Absolutely beautiful, Bullet :grin: .30-06 was the first cartridge I seriously loaded for myself & I still load it for my brother using H4350, Fed. 215 mag primers & the 165 Hornady Interbond :? Can't talk him into using the AB like I do in my 7mm RUM, but it shoots good for him :)

Thanks bobby, it really shoots great a real consistent for sure rifle. I have three very serious loads which I have been working on and will post the results in the future and they are the 150gr Ballistic tip, 168gr Ballistic tip and the one that I am really liking is the 180gr Ballistic tip.

Great shooting Bullet! Are you showing any pressure signs with the 59.0 grain load of IMR 4350? The Sierra book lists 56.0 as the max. I've been shooting the Sierra GameKing over 54.3 grains of IMR 4350, with great results...shooting right at 1/2" at 100 yards, from my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker.
I have a box of the Sierra 165 HPBT's that I'd like to work up a load for, after seeing your results. Thanks for sharing.
-TB

Back